Why has this game been released?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zelink

06-03-2011

This is so true, really good post man. Iv not been playing this game for that long and it does feel like some rushed game. Iv never seen a game with such a long server downtime on patch day. Normally most games take 2-3 hours or if its a hug patch 7hrs max. Sometime riot goes down for 12 hrs and still everything does not work after that.

Never the less i love the game and i am very addicted to it, but riot interest is to milk every possible income with ugly skins or op, up or buggy new champs. Playing on the same map over and over is really boring too.

Customer support sux as well, well besides from SkyStriker who is the only one who seems to do or give any sort of help if you have a problem.

I do think for season 2, riot needs to sit down, fix some bugs and make this game more appealing for starters as well as veterans.

An extra ip weekend or weekly tournaments in which you can win champs or extra ip would be something id love to see. And of course we need new maps.

Jesodoth

06-03-2011

Quote:
No game is buggier, in my experience, even alpha and beta trials, which is the point of my post. It's not that the game has bugs, it's that it's buggier than games that haven't even been released yet.
No game is buggier?

Try Knights of the Old Republic 2

HAH, no game is buggier..

OR, how about the most recent king of buggy games, Fallout New Vegas?

Both incredible games, but they have their lion share of bugs.

This game does have bugs, but it also has an active team trying to iron them out, just for you.... and me. :')

xFortune

06-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesodoth View Post
No game is buggier?

Try Knights of the Old Republic 2

HAH, no game is buggier..

OR, how about the most recent king of buggy games, Fallout New Vegas?

Both incredible games, but they have their lion share of bugs.

This game does have bugs, but it also has an active team trying to iron them out, just for you.... and me. :')
Read the 3 words after "no game is buggier", please.

Erronius

06-03-2011

bump

tsukou

06-03-2011

Some of your problems seem more anecdotal than actually factual.

1b) You say they go further than normal. Are you sure you're not imagining things? My auto attack range is pretty consistent, I have never seen a 20% increase.

2) Bushes, I can understand if you're on the very edge, that's happened to me, where I place a ward on the very edge or something, and doesn't actually get in the bush, but to me that seems more like a problem on my end placing. Tho very rarely do I see standing out in the middle of the bush now that I think about it, but in practice, this has never once effected a play, only a very minor thing I see rarely.

3) Are you sure you're talking about quick inputs and not about GCD? Because this game does have GCD. Name a combo you're talking about to be specific. If you're talking about mashing QW together, obviously it ain't gonna work.

4) Most of the buggy terrain as far as I know it has been pretty much fixed. Check the date on that video. I know Poppy causes problems sometimes, and I think Alistar used to, but most heroes don't experience any problems like this.

5) Tower and minion aggro. The old, WHY ARE THESE CREEPS HITTING ME? or the WTF TOWER HIT SOMEONE ELSE. Usually once in a while there's that one pesky creep that won't deaggro, but for the most part, this is something you can't judge, because it's perfectly fine to me. Every game I've played.

6) Vayne's tumble and Udyr's tiger stance are AD steroids, that increase your attack, they aren't a spell to be blocked. While nasus' siphon strike is actually a spell/magic damage, fyi. If you're calling this a skill discrepancy/bug this is an error on your judgement.

While I'll give you Poppy/Vayne knockback stunning on nothing, I've never seen it go shorter or longer than the range it's suppose to. Just fyi poppy's charge is decided by poppy's movement speed, so if you pop W or Ghost prior to using charge it will knock back further. Vayne might be the same, but I have no idea. If you didn't know that about poppy, then maybe these other bugs are things you simply did not know about.

Please list other bugs.

7) Games have issues, especially online games. If an immediate threat comes up, they're going to take the servers down to immediately fix it. It would be a problem if they didn't fix it straight up, but as you can see, they work hard on the game.

8) Reconnecting in general for me, has never caused problems, but I know people it has. Just restart the client. that usually fixes things. I don't really know if there's anything they can do about ghost minions tbh, I think it's more of a cache issue or something. But that's pure speculation.

9) I won't really go through anecdotal problems. And the knockup bug, I've never in any game I've played seen a knockup as bad as the video. I know it happens, especially when stacking knock ups, but all I can say is, it's never really effected the outcome that much.

And you answered your own question. Why do you play this game? This applies to all players competitive and the like. Because it's fun. It is one of the largest moba communities currently available, and it is loads of fun to play.

And you act like this is the only competitive game to ever have bugs. Counter Strike, was absolutely filled with bugs. Starcraft also had a lot of bugs. Why did people bother playing these games?

Now because you say this game shouldn't have been released, I will only say, this is a free to play game. Now if it was a game like Minecraft, where you paid, yet the game is buggy, and looks nowhere close to done, I'd be pissed. But there is no monthly subscription, or even one time cost, and it's not like spending money gives you any advantage. And since these bugs honestly don't effect gameplay as much as you believe they do, I think it's fine.

Saint1y

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-03-2011

In case no one has mentioned this, an online game that is constantly updated with new content is not even close to comparable to a stand alone game. The latter can work out all the bugs beforehand and (in theory) it will be bug free happily ever after. A game that constantly updates runs the risk of constantly getting new bugs to work out.

The only real issue that I can see is whether they constantly work on those bugs or not. Judging from the issues described in the OP, I think they do.

xFortune

06-03-2011

[QUOTE=tsukou;9573779]Some of your problems seem more anecdotal than actually factual.

1b) You say they go further than normal. Are you sure you're not imagining things? My auto attack range is pretty consistent, I have never seen a 20% increase.[/quote

I could be, but I highly doubt it, it happens too often for me to think I'm just imagining it.

Quote:
2) Bushes, I can understand if you're on the very edge, that's happened to me, where I place a ward on the very edge or something, and doesn't actually get in the bush, but to me that seems more like a problem on my end placing. Tho very rarely do I see standing out in the middle of the bush now that I think about it, but in practice, this has never once effected a play, only a very minor thing I see rarely.
It's gotten me killed once, lost at least 3 first bloods (Shaco box stacking), and gotten a friend killed once, in the past 2-3 weeks. Not at the edge of bushes, but right in the middle.

Quote:
3) Are you sure you're talking about quick inputs and not about GCD? Because this game does have GCD. Name a combo you're talking about to be specific. If you're talking about mashing QW together, obviously it ain't gonna work.
Kassadin's ult -> Q -> E combo, for example. Hit ult to get in range, hit E and click, hit Q and click, either my E or Q doesn't go off. It could be doing things too quickly and spell queueing only doing one or something, dunno.

Quote:
4) Most of the buggy terrain as far as I know it has been pretty much fixed. Check the date on that video. I know Poppy causes problems sometimes, and I think Alistar used to, but most heroes don't experience any problems like this.
The problem is better than it was, and isn't a huge issue anymore.

Quote:
5) Tower and minion aggro. The old, WHY ARE THESE CREEPS HITTING ME? or the WTF TOWER HIT SOMEONE ELSE. Usually once in a while there's that one pesky creep that won't deaggro, but for the most part, this is something you can't judge, because it's perfectly fine to me. Every game I've played.
It is a common issue for me.

Quote:
6) Vayne's tumble and Udyr's tiger stance are AD steroids, that increase your attack, they aren't a spell to be blocked. While nasus' siphon strike is actually a spell/magic damage, fyi. If you're calling this a skill discrepancy/bug this is an error on your judgement.
Actually, Udyr's Tiger Stance applies a magic damage DoT, and Nasus' Siphon Strike is a physical/AD boost.

Quote:
While I'll give you Poppy/Vayne knockback stunning on nothing, I've never seen it go shorter or longer than the range it's suppose to. Just fyi poppy's charge is decided by poppy's movement speed, so if you pop W or Ghost prior to using charge it will knock back further. Vayne might be the same, but I have no idea. If you didn't know that about poppy, then maybe these other bugs are things you simply did not know about.
I am aware of Poppy's movement speed affecting her knockback, and it is irrelevant to what I'm talking about.

Quote:
7) Games have issues, especially online games. If an immediate threat comes up, they're going to take the servers down to immediately fix it. It would be a problem if they didn't fix it straight up, but as you can see, they work hard on the game.
And this game seems to have more issues than others I've played, which is my point.

Quote:
8) Reconnecting in general for me, has never caused problems, but I know people it has. Just restart the client. that usually fixes things. I don't really know if there's anything they can do about ghost minions tbh, I think it's more of a cache issue or something. But that's pure speculation.
HoN doesn't have these issues, so there's something Riot can do to fix it.

Quote:
And you answered your own question. Why do you play this game? This applies to all players competitive and the like. Because it's fun. It is one of the largest moba communities currently available, and it is loads of fun to play.
I don't find playing an inconsistent and buggy came competitively very fun, but other people may have different opinions, which is why I asked. If they find it fun, they can say so.

Quote:
And you act like this is the only competitive game to ever have bugs. Counter Strike, was absolutely filled with bugs. Starcraft also had a lot of bugs. Why did people bother playing these games?

Now because you say this game shouldn't have been released, I will only say, this is a free to play game. Now if it was a game like Minecraft, where you paid, yet the game is buggy, and looks nowhere close to done, I'd be pissed. But there is no monthly subscription, or even one time cost, and it's not like spending money gives you any advantage. And since these bugs honestly don't effect gameplay as much as you believe they do, I think it's fine.
I haven't invested nearly as much time into either of those games as I have into League, so I can't say how buggy they were or why people played them competitively (other than that they both had very high skill caps).

It is free, and I have made no monetary investment into the game, only several hundred (probably approaching or past a thousand by now) hours. This game could be so much better than it currently is, I just want to know why it is in its current state.

And the bugs may not affect your gameplay as much, but they are the main reasons I don't play ranked games, and why I'm here writing this instead of playing the game. They are, to me, gamebreaking in how often (nearly every game, for hitbox issues) they present. Given the + ratings the original post has received, I don't believe I'm alone in thinking this way.

Mezri

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-04-2011

Wow this thread lists all the reasons I keep taking breaks from the game. I love this game but these bugs negate the ability to call its self a serious competitive game. :/

Morello

Lead Designer

06-04-2011
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Hey Fortune, thanks for the detailed post of concerns.

I'll answer your question directly; LoL was released when it was because fans wanted the game and the gameplay was fun. Now, many the bugs and technical issues you mention are certainly true and things that annoy us on the development end also. We work to try and fix these, and without going into details, many of these things are core to our original architecture (example; the old patcher had a myriad of problems, so we built the new RADS patcher from the ground up to solve) and require a lot of effort to fix without bringing the service down. Luckily, we've been doing a lot on this front lately and knocking out our bug backlog much faster than we previously could.

I think LoL's popularity is a testament to this. If a game is fun, that's the #1 most important thing. That's why we launched when we did. We could have waited years and fixed everything and solved all these problems, but frankly, I think it's better to let players play if they like the game, and make sure to always improve. Zileas was around in those days personally though, and maybe could speak to specifics.

Secretbeef

06-04-2011

I would agree with slot of the things people are saying to argue with the op but they are drowned out by the fact that most of them are minor yet can be game breaking bugs if they occur at the right times, and also the fact that this game is well over a year old

Riot seems to do bug fixes everynow and then, the last bug fix was tfs ...who's been out since beta?(correct me if I'm wrong) nidalee has bugs in her that can make or break a fight and has not been touched yet. She Also is quite a seasoned champ...( if you catch my drift).

My point is, that riot keeps pumping out all these champs without fixing old ones. And yes yes reds I know it's a different part of the company that creates champions then the ones that fix them. It just seems that either more funding is put Towards making champions then fixing them, or that your bug team is severly under staffed to the point where it's just guinsoo doing it.