Need Help with Kayle

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GuyGin

03-25-2010

So a few days ago I was playing a game and I went mid as TF I think (something I didn't really want to do) and ended up laning against Kayle.

At first I thought "well this should be easy" as Kayle is a melee support hero. To my dismay, she launched a reckoning at a range that SEEMED longer than my normal attack, and it did about 1/5 of my life in damage.

Since then I've been trying to play Kayle but I can't reproduce the power and damage this Kayle was putting out. I think the player went tome -> mejais first, but I cant understand how they had enough mana to support the number of reckonings she put out.

Does anyone play Kayle very offensively?

I've tried her some and I usually go:
Codex
Boots 1
Stinger
Nashors
Berserkers or Mercury
??? (haven't had much luck)

Is this just a matter of having the wrong runes? (I'm currently running Mpen reds, HP/lvl yellows and CDR blues, with 1 flat hp quint and 1 rank 1 mpen quint).

Right now Kayle seems like a weak version of zilean to me, but I feel like she has potential and I would like to know if anyone has any advice.

EnderA

03-25-2010

Kayle's a hybrid champion, meaning her skills conflict as to what role she should play, so it's no surprise that you're having difficulty playing her.

Most likely your opponent had MP/5 runes. More specifically, probably MP/5/lvl. May have had them in both Seals and Glyphs.

I don't have enough experience with Kayle to really help you out beyond that.

Kaoculus

03-25-2010

I go nashors and guinsoos. I find those are really core items before i start with anything else.

KrupsMcGee

03-25-2010

Try getting a sheen right away. That boosts your first flaming sword attack and your skills are on a low enough cooldown that you can get the proc almost every 3 seconds (I usually go CDR in runes and masteries to get 40% w/ nashors). Then I build boots and nashors next, or a mejas if I think I'll be getting lots of kills/assists. I agree with rageblade as a third item, meja's should come eventually and then upgrade sheen to a lichbane. It will hurt dudes a lot. MPen runes are good for marks/quints and I do suggest getting mana regen/5 for early game harass. Sheen helps early farming a ton too.

jedininjaman

03-25-2010

lololololololololololol
kayle beat you as tf
lolololololololol

KrazedMofo

03-25-2010

I play an aggressive kayle, I usualy aim for the chalice at first, then move on to basic boots and ginsoo.
The reason for not getting upgraded boots early is to see how the game is going and adapt those to the circumstances.

After ginsoo I get nashors and then either lichbane or the frozen mallet.

I run a full utility mastery and use teleport and flash as summoners skills.
My runes are spell power, critical chance and mana per 5.

I am only lvl25 so far but it has been working out well for me.

Krosan

03-25-2010

As previous posters have pointed out, Kayle has a weird place. She's one of the only heroes I play who gets use out of Nashor's Tooth; she scales better with attack speed than carries do, because of her HOLY FIAAAAAAAAH blasts, and the AP and CDR from the sword also help her nuke and the fire attack.

Reckoning hits like a truck if you stack enough AP, and she's not really that hard to keep going for mana. I tend to rush chalice with Kayle, then go for Rod of Ages, stinger, greaves/treads/sorc shoes, then go for the Tooth.

She's not a major presence, but the good ol' magic bubble will turn your carry into an unstoppable killing machine, and the blast from Reckoning is good for stopping runners or blasting folks like Eve or Shaco who get jumpy.

IceDive

03-25-2010

Lost quite a long post, dunno what happened, but cliff-notes:

mejai
boots of swiftness
Nashors
Guinsoo (up untill here possible in 75% of games)

Extra:
Lich bane
Zonya's

Masteries 9/0/21
Mana problems? Clarity and runes

GuyGin

03-25-2010

I'm starting to think that the Kayle I played against used Clarity, which would make sense. It would give her the mana to spam her ability which outharassed any PaC damage I could do to her (at lvl 3 reckoning was doing 200+dmg while PaC was doing like 140ish, and shorter range) and give her the chance to keep healing herself.

I might just not have the runes to play her correctly too, I don't know how necessary a ton of CDR is in actuality.

Another option I was thinking about was Deathfire Grasp. Does anyone use this on their Kayle? It has no AS which makes her E skill kinda low output, but combined with reckoning you can frontload some crazy damage. Problem is I just cant fit it into the build very well.

I feel like if I really wanted to play her right I would need:
MP5 / lvl yellows,
AP / lvl blues
Mpen Reds
HP or Mpen quints

Which I just dont have. I also agree that I would need a 9/0/21 setup (but i'm not lvl 30 yet, and I'm pretty sure the utility mastery talent just isn't working right now, or wasn't last patch, so I am going 3/0/19 lately).

another problem when I play her is survivability. I often end up just getting destroyed in a couple hits, but that might have more to do with being a couple levels behind than anything else.

She seems to have so much potential, and I feel like whenever I'm playing her I'm just playing a gimped version of zilean.

As far as starting items then it's either:
Dorans
Blue crystal (for sheen)
Book (for sheen or codex or mejai's)
Meiki (for codex to nashor's)

I'll have to try rageblade as it seems like it was made for her E skill now that I think of it.

Thanks for the ideas. if anyone else is good with kayle I'm still open to suggestions.

IceDive

03-25-2010

The good thing about rageblade and kayle's E skill, is that the skill always checks your current AP, so every strike actually makes the damage go up.

Also, if you would want to try Deathfire, maybe go like this:

meki + pots

Meki-->fiendish

boots

Fiendish -- deathfire

After this, getting Guinsoo and than Lich Bane seems to make sense

(you could start with tome --> kage's as well to make up for kayle's bad farming, but the mana regen seems more valuable to me)