Shen - He's a flippin ninja!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tryntius

03-25-2010

Having played quite a few games with Shen already and seeing the awesome potential he has, I'm quite frustrated by the amount of people who pick him before me and then fail hardcore. Thus I write this guide. (This guide is primarily intended for use of those who have a moderate understanding of LoL play theory. But new folks are welcome to use it.)

Abilities:

Shen is the first champion in the League of Legends to use energy to cast his abilities, rather than mana or health like most other champions. This system caps the maximum amount of energy Shen can have at 200 energy, and regenerates Shen’s energy very rapidly (10 energy per second).

Q Vorpal Blade: Hits a target enemy for magic damage, and marks the target for allies to see. Allied units that attack the marked enemy target get healed over several seconds.

W Feint: Shen defends against the next champion attack or spell, blocking much of the damage from it.

E Shadow Dash: Shen dashes towards target location, taunting enemies he passes through.

R Stand United: Places a shield on target ally which absorbs damage. After channeling for several seconds, Shen teleports to the target ally and shields himself as well.

Ki Strike (passive): Every 10 seconds, Shen’s next attack deals bonus damage based on his max health. Being attacked by enemy champions makes this passive occur more frequently.

Skill order:
Q
W
Q
E
Q
R
Q
W
Q
W
R
W
W
E
E
R
E
E

Runes:

Red: Health
Yellow: Armor
Quints: Health
Blues: Health

These are my current runes. Substituting health in yellow as well would be very functional, but the armor will help in the early game coupled with Ninja Tabi.

Summoner Spells:

Ignite and Exhaust preferably.

Spells to avoid:

Teleport: he already has one
Revive: never ever with any champion get this
Clarity: for obvious reasons
Flash: his dash suffices enough
Smite: Jungling is not your goal
Ghost Walk: He has enough escape potential and mobility

Masteries:

http://leaguecraft.com/masteries/310...00000000000000

Item build:

Ruby Crystal - 475
Ninja Tabi - 850
Giants Belt - 1110
Warmogs Armor -1575
Giants Belt - 1110
Blasting Wand - 860
Rylia's Scepter - 1135
Giants Belt - 1110
Phage - 1315
Frozen Mallet - 825
More than likely the game will be done by now, but if it's not finish with a Guardian Angel and Sunfire Cape

Play theory:

Shen is not a mid character, though that is likely a given. He is not a very strong farmer but a very effective lane mate. Its best to have him laned with a ranged squishy to insure maximum killing potential. With Ignite and Exhaust you and your lane mate should have no problem getting first blood. Wait until you think the enemy has gotten comfy in the bushes and then go in, with your lane mate at a distance. If you have all the runes and the Ruby Crystal, you will have almost 900 health and are not going die. Exhaust, Ignite and Vorpal the squishier of your enemies and they are dead. FB was never this easy. Continuing into the early game, play aggressive. In fact, play aggressive the whole game, unless your teammates have fed the enemy. Spam Q on enemies and minions, mash W whenever a champ attacks you; However, use discretion with the dash. While a taunt is handy, and escape is better. This costs more than half of your energy and in a big fight you will only be able to use it once. Use either to save an ally or get away. Indiscriminate use of this ability will cost you your life. Always watch your minimap and for ganks. You can take a beating, so don't be afraid to ult on an ally if they are about to get raped. Once you have your Scepter, chasing is a breeze. Q has a decent range and giving it a 35% slow won't let anyone out of you or your teams grasp. I ask that you remember one thing as Shen: this guide will get you kills but you are here for your teammates. Do not be greedy as your primary focus is to protect them. Tanks are team players, if you can't do that: Do not pick Shen or any other tank for that matter.

Hope this helps.

Jimmyjames

03-25-2010

why Rylia's and Frozen mallet? seems over kill. IMO Trinity Force... Or Atma's other wise good build

Sarpati

03-25-2010

I like rushing Leviathan with him. Thanks to his mobility and gank potential, keeping 20 stacks up is incredibly easy. And once that's done, it's the best HP per gold item in the game.

Rylai's does have a use though. Besides getting even more HP, it makes him a much better chaser. Sure, Frozen Mallet works wonders, but once hell breaks loose, you can pick off running stragglers by using Shadow Dash to catch up and Vorpal Blade to slow them down, instead of relying on dashing to melee range for Frozen Mallet.

Ranakinen

03-25-2010

My personal build on Shen:

Ruby Crystal first, if laned with healer. Otherwise Doran's Shield and health pots.

First recall - Ninja Tabi/Mercury Treads depending are enemies physical or magical emphasized. Leviathan if you got gold.

Next is Warmog's Armor or if you got problems with nukers, get Negatron Cloak and you can build it to Spirit Visage later.

Next you can either choose from Warden's Mail, Thornmail or Sunfire Cape. People will attack you, so Warden's and Thornmail fit you great. Even more if they are physical DPSers.

Force of Nature if you really get owned by nukers.

So here it finally should look like:

Ninja Tabi/Mercury Treads
Leviathan
Warmog's Armor
Spirit Visage/Force of Nature
Warden's Mail/Thornmail
Sunfire Cape

---

If you already got potential tank in your team, you maybe want load some punch to your regular attacks too.

This is what my hybrid tank-DPS build looks like:

Ninja Tabi/Mercury Treads
Leviathan
Warmog's Armor

Atma's Impaler (Because you got huge HP.)
Madred's Bloodrazor (This is your attackspeed item, gives some damage & armor too and nice passive. Can be replaced with Last Whisper if enemy is stacking armour.)
Warden's Mail/Thornmail

With this build, you are still respective tank thanks to Leviathan stacks, Warmog's Armor and Warden's/Thornmail. Plus you can do great amount of damage to enemies.

HOLYCOWBATMAN

03-25-2010

im experimenting with this right now:

warmog
spirit visage
sheen

...and then it all depends of whats happening... what is your team.. and what is the enemy team...

another build i tried going:

rylai
some cd reduction item... magic pen / ap or armor pen are all good choice..
lich bane
some other AP/hp item........

if you go 9/0/21 and some CDR runes.. and you get spirit visage ( 12% cdr ) you will be at exactly at 2.0 second CD on your Q and W... so GG on lichbane proc lol... with your passive = even more gg and with 1:1 ap ratio on your ult... its fun.

i guess some more hp after those basic items and an atma impaler could be really great too!

there is plenty of stuff to try and that could work... but sheen is really a must.

Pink Cookie

03-25-2010

So me and a friend were playing last night and did a Shen vs. Shen match on the TT map so that we could both farm bots, get max money, and experiment with build options.

We both played similar builds and can see several different combos which could make him extremely effective.

Here is what he have found so far.

Boots
Boots of Swiftness - Awesome for the Chase since you're not realistically going to have many other sources of move speed bonus unless you go with Force of Nature, Trin Force
Mercurial Treads - Situationally Excellent
Ninja Tabi - Fantastic as for all tanks.

HP Items
Rylai's Scepter - essential. It allows you to catch up with those pesky guys that are running away without having to get into melle range. It also translates to you having a slowing range attack every 3 seconds which is awesome. The bonus HP translates into pure win and with his AP scaling it helps his Q to hit a little harder and his R to absorb A LOT MORE (1 to 1 scaling).
Warmog's - Not that great... It does have great HP bonus, but because of the price and the necessity for Creep farming (not a skill that Shen shines in) it isn't that great. Definitely are better options out there.
Leviathan - although we were playing on the TT with bots, we also did a couple real games and he has had more success with this than I have. In the games where I didn't have newb team mates, I was able to get mine to 20 stacks very quickly and keep it there for the entire game. Awesome item. Good for the price and the 20 stack bonus is great.

Other than that we experimented with a few different fighting styles. What seems to work well are a couple different following combos

Frozen Hammer/Stark's Favor/Burning Cape
and
Trin Force/Bloodthirster/Atmas

I'll post more thoughts later when I develop this further. I'll provide more thoughts. Check him out if you haven't already.

Going to try out Sunfire Capes with Thornmail later today. I'll update on how well it worked.

ThatSaulSheWrote

03-25-2010

sorry but imo, you go the summoner spells, item build, and even the skill order all wrong. Teleport is actually amazing on shen as it lets you be literally everywhere important at once (i.e. where ganks/ team fights/ pushes are going on). Ghost is probably second best with flash and cleanse being the other alternatives. He is not a killer, and you should be more focused on saving allies and getting out alive yourself after a clutch ulti + taunt and ignite + exhaust just wont help you there. Secondly, aegis of the legion needs to be on just about every tank in the match, and shen is no exception. You cannot absorb damage as well as other hard tanks and crowd control isn't oozing from your ears like the cow. Though your taunt is very good, its not always going to get the job done, so you will need to rely on your team to not fall over when they are forced to take damage when you cannot protect them/ need to get out of the fight because you are dying. The boosted stats to allies is especially important on shen, imo its probably his most important item and you dont even have it in your build.

liketheplague

03-25-2010

"Flash: his dash suffices enough"

... You can dash into the thick of the battle, taunting their entire team, then flash back to your team. With the two second taunt the enemies champs are scrambling to hit you while you're standing behind your team. Whoops, you just forced them to charge your team and gave your team a two second head-start to spam nukes and focus their squishy little carry.

Think like a ninja, not some guy trying to run away. How can you use abilities to do tricky things the enemy is not expecting?

Tryntius

03-25-2010

Don't knock it til you try it. Last 10 Shen games were 8-2 with 92K 33D 76A using this build exclusively. Aegis of the legion is a waste as the buff it confers is relatively useless late game and it will only slow you down on your path to good items. And actually you can absorb damage like a beast, by simply mashing W.

"Ghost is probably second best with flash and cleanse being the other alternatives."

I suppose if your goal was running. However, that is not the goal of a tank class, or at least a tank built Shen.

"Think like a ninja, not some guy trying to run away."

No, think like a tank. Someone to get in the thick of it, live throught the punishment, and bring a couple folks down. Flash doesnt help Shen with that anymore than his dash does.

00weto

03-25-2010

what about masteries Try. if u have it sry must of skiped it