Shen - a new top tank?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JEMANGEDESMONDES

03-24-2010

I don't think he will dethrone Alistar but he does offer a lot of utility himself and probably even more that we have yet to discover.

What he brings:
-Fairly spammable aoe taunt.
-Heal over time if team focus the said target.
-A very good shield.
-Back up from anywhere.
-Best tank mobility?
-Decent laner unlike most tanks.

I've played a fair share of Shen games today and tried many different builds. Some were core failures and some had their merits. Noticably, the Warden Mail armor. Which for long, was deemed a bad item but I can assure you it does wonders on Shen since he can force opponent team into auto-attacking him.

Couple tricks I've pulled or seen done by other Shens:
- Shielding a key member such as fiddlestick as he was channeling. The protection given by the shield is sick.
- Last second dash taunt into opponent team so his team finished baron from the back. It provided awesome distraction and enssured the team with the buff.
- Counter ganked Twisted Fate.
- The saving he's done for one of your teamates venturing too deep into enemy territory. Port in, aoe taunt, pop Ghost, run away.
- Ain't scared of pushing, he ninja escape to the other side of the map as the 5 man gank squad arrive.
- Was able to do baron with team as low level as 10 with vorpal blade maxed.

Discuss and share your tricks.

yakbutter

03-24-2010

Fiddle shouldn't be channeling in front of enemies! bad fiddle..

He was annoying and kicked my Mundo's ass today, OP!!

SilentWhisper

03-24-2010

he's an excellent tank if it's 1 on 1 or 2v2, but when it comes to a full group he falls behind other tanks a bit i think (unless he blows his ult of course). i say this mainly because his shielding ability only affects 1 target, while other tanks have abilities that give them a defensive buff vrs everyone (rasmus defensive curl, gragas happy hour, alistar ult etc). shen's personal shield is awsome when against a single enemy hero (I've only been ganked once when it was 1 on 1 and that was cause i had blown all my energy on farming creeps) but in a group fight it will only provide him protection against one hero so when they all start beating on him he'll have to rely on any items he has.

that said, one of the biggest issues i've had with him is getting gold. last hitting single minions is easy with his Q skill, but mass farming minions or effectively pushing towers doesnt work with him as his attack is slow he only has 1 offensive ability and it's single target. jungling isnt hard with him although it does take a while to kill the larger creeps. but in most of my games with him i find my self constantly short on gold. then against the only other tank i actively play is morde and he's a farming machine so my perspective may be a bit skewed.

Stormsoul

03-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentWhisper View Post
he's an excellent tank if it's 1 on 1 or 2v2, but when it comes to a full group he falls behind other tanks a bit i think (unless he blows his ult of course). i say this mainly because his shielding ability only affects 1 target, while other tanks have abilities that give them a defensive buff vrs everyone (rasmus defensive curl, gragas happy hour, alistar ult etc). shen's personal shield is awsome when against a single enemy hero (I've only been ganked once when it was 1 on 1 and that was cause i had blown all my energy on farming creeps) but in a group fight it will only provide him protection against one hero so when they all start beating on him he'll have to rely on any items he has.

that said, one of the biggest issues i've had with him is getting gold. last hitting single minions is easy with his Q skill, but mass farming minions or effectively pushing towers doesnt work with him as his attack is slow he only has 1 offensive ability and it's single target. jungling isnt hard with him although it does take a while to kill the larger creeps. but in most of my games with him i find my self constantly short on gold. then against the only other tank i actively play is morde and he's a farming machine so my perspective may be a bit skewed.
yeah, playing a tanky char like morde/nasus can certainly skew your opinion a bit with how well they farm :P as far as tanks go, shen's pretty solid at farming/laning. not the best, but not bad either.

Fangeaux

03-24-2010

Shen can farm pretty well with q and his bonus damage Ive always been top 4 in minion kills out of 10, and i was in team fights plenty since I can push lane/farm and tele in with ult when team fight starts.

AutoSponge

03-25-2010

I'll add this under exploits of a (tank) shen:

Shaco dived a 40 hp Annie at our top turret. I shielded from the bot turret and watch as Shaco takes a turret hit trying to get through the shield. Then I appear to vorpal blade + taunt = dead shaco.

Taunted through a turret. It changed targets to me and saved a teammate.

saixx

03-25-2010

That taunting through turret thing might've been against me. I was pissed! Muahahaha got that guy anyways...and it just changed target to shen...great died in vain.

Cyrenic

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-25-2010

If you're laning with shen, hit the minions he vorpal blades (they'll have a sword above their heads) for free health regen.

Because of how easy it is to regen health in lane with Shen, don't be afraid to use shadow dash when your passive is up to harass.

Between Vorpal Blade, Shadow Dash, and his passive Shen has very strong lane presence.

Sarpati

03-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentWhisper View Post
As mentioned, Mordekaiser does affect your view. But Shen can easily get a minimum of 2 last hits per wave with Ki Strike and Vorpal Blade. That said, he doesn't need that much gold to be good - 5-8k gold will get you nearly 4k HP, depending on build.

And while I agree about the defensive ability thing, Shen is still an amazing tank. His ability to turn HP into damage means that he's a presence to be feared. That is, my current build gets me 840 HP at level 1.

But you have to consider playstyle. Shen can't tank an entire team by himself like Rammus and Alistar can. But neither of them can stop an entire team from casting for 2 seconds, nor can they interrupt something like Nunu's ulti while also getting people off your squishies, or turn a 3v1 gank into a 3v2 win. And thanks to his mobility, tanking 1v5 is rarely something to worry about.

Anyway, a tactic I like to do is Shadow Dash + Stand United. Taunt lasts 2 seconds, ulti teleports in 2.5. Greatly reduces the chances of getting interrupted, and can be used in many situations, like saving a fleeing teammate against overwhelming odds, or just saving your skin after a fight.

Not

Senior Recruiter

03-25-2010

I taunted a Nunu and broke him out of his ultimate channeling...I would you could do the same to fiddle.