[Discussion] DPS Janna

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Boundless Spring

03-25-2010

Well played DPS Janna does this to a carry:
Shield and absorb a lot of dmg
mid way through shield use q spell and toss them in the air all the while attacking them
Shield again

Slow them when they run.

She won't out dps someone. But the ability to stop them from doing damage and absorb damage makes it so she can prolong battles and catch up. She is not a main carry, so stop being tards adn thinking that's what dps janna means, it means she is support, and support dps.

Did you know dps janna can solo backdoor turrets? That is what I thought. Shutup. Lets see ashe do that.

Tubelord

03-25-2010

stop playing DPS jannas please

eye of the storm is meant for your carries/people taking damage

/thread

Arcostis

03-25-2010

LOL is all this thread requires

Boundless Spring

03-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubelord View Post
stop playing DPS jannas please

eye of the storm is meant for your carries/people taking damage

/thread
Such a narrow view. You know, Janna isn't around carries 100% of the time, and having it on them 100% the time isn't feasible either. If you can't figure out why that is then just stop playing, or at the least, trolling. And being able to do something in a battle besides sitting there when your spells are down is useful too.

Tubelord

03-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjall View Post
Such a narrow view. You know, Janna isn't around carries 100% of the time, and having it on them 100% the time isn't feasible either. If you can't figure out why that is then just stop playing, or at the least, trolling. And being able to do something in a battle besides sitting there when your spells are down is useful too.
sure, play DPS. do kinda well even. if you want to play her 100% she is support. sounds like you need to get some CDR and hang around your team more.

+dmg is better used on a physical dps, who can multiply that +dmg effectiveness by using the abilities that make them carries (udyr stance dance, trist attk speed, eetttccccccccccc.......)

Zirun

03-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Brandon View Post
I think this is a misconception held by a lot of people, that if you're playing a DPS janna, you're using the shield on yourself, but this isn't always the case. In most cases I play, and many dps jannas I see played, they usually always throw a shield on a better carry during a team fight.
Unfortunately, a lot of people I see playing a DPS Janna will put the shield on themselves, because they need it to do any kind of decent DPS.

And if you're going to play DPS Janna, you kind of have to be selfish with the shield, since it's the only thing you have to boost your damage. She's worse at DPS than Zilean without it.

Quote:
Janna only isn't around carries 100% of the time if you choose not to be. There are entire games where I've laned with Jax, followed Jax around, countered ganks with Jax, ganked people with Jax, jungled with Jax, pretty much everything, never being more than a stone's throw away except to shop. And guess why we won games like these? Jax carried because he started out 2/0/1 with more creep kills than anybody else in the game, and Janna was constantly healing and buffing him and CCing his enemies so he can wail on them. In fact, a good support champion will be following around a champion that all but needs their support (Master Yi, for example) or does better with it (pretty much any carry). Getting those early kills/assists for them or letting them get lots of creep kills is very important if you expect them to do well mid-game and after. As a bonus, Janna doesn't need lots of gold to do well (as a support champion, not a DPS champion or mage). I often have the least amount of creep kills in the game, and have at least once ended a game with less than 10 creep kills. Not because I suck at last hitting (which I do with Janna, lol), but because the gold I would get myself is just so much better on Ashe or Poppy or Jax.

Keeping the shield on 100% of the time when he's fighting isn't unreasonable, either. Get some CDR, a little bit of mana regen (Nashor's Tooth + Chalice will cover both), and you can pretty much keep the shield up every time Jax swings him lamppost or Ashe shoots an arrow.

Timothias

03-25-2010

gj having a positive k/d ratio against 3 support champs 1 mediocre dps and a bad one. How many games you have to paly til you got that comp? Screenshots like statistics are meant to lie

Chai

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-25-2010

Quote:
Such a narrow view. You know, Janna isn't around carries 100% of the time, and having it on them 100% the time isn't feasible either.
This. In most cases, I would put the shield on a carry given that he can utilize it well or if someone's really low on HP. The only time I'd put the shield on myself is during laning phase, where most champions would just get dominated by Janna 1v1 at mid, or if I'm chasing.

With any form of a slow (Mallet, Phage, Lizard Buff), Janna is one of the best if not the best chaser in the game. Able to reach 500 + movement speed with a constant slow and a knockup is a very scary sight. You can argue that the lizard buff would be better placed on others, and in certain situations I do agree - Champions such as Tristana pretty much need the lizard buff to get kills due to her ridiculously slow movement speed. But the ability to chase down the enemy team one by one over a short span of time is priceless for a team.

GgomaOppa

03-25-2010

Shield goes to whoever needs the most...I thought that was given?

CarlSagansCosmos

03-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirun View Post
Unfortunately, a lot of people I see playing a DPS Janna will put the shield on themselves, because they need it to do any kind of decent DPS.

And if you're going to play DPS Janna, you kind of have to be selfish with the shield, since it's the only thing you have to boost your damage. She's worse at DPS than Zilean without it.
That's why you get items that help in this situation. A fast auto-attack can help, without the need of shield. For example, with frozen mallet, you're adding a slow to the enemies. With Malady, you're granting bonus damage to every physical. A starks is another good item for janna to get if Sivir isn't in the group.

Besides that, there are times when having shield on you is viable. For example, if defending or clearing a wave of creeps, if defending a tower (though, if they get close enough throwing it on the tower is a better idea). Chasing down other support or tanks. Even early-mid game you can hold your own against most carries. Defending a base when an inhibitor is down.

Perhaps it's just my mentality, but she is support. Her problem is her AP ratios are not that great. That makes AP Janna less viable than DPS/Tank. Her abilities are generally the same regardless of AP. You're still using all of them for their secondary effect (Knockup, slow and damage) which are unaffected by AP. With DPS, you're bringing damage to the table, with Tank you're bringing some damage absorber.