[Discussion] DPS Janna

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GgomaOppa

03-25-2010

Janna is just really well around champ that you can build anyway you would like.

She doesn't need items to support. But going either AP, AD, or survivability, does not mean that she is good at doing that one thing - she is mediocre at best. What items to get is purely situational call; she is just flexible. If you team lacks DPS, then why not build her as a side-line, ranged DPS champ who can farm decently - and get items fast?

GgomaOppa

03-25-2010

And I love Monsoon, it counts most of spells out there (Amumu's ult, Nunu...and so on). But I never gotten it for heals really. It is useful for backdooring though with one other champ.

Thunderlike

03-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Brandon View Post
DPS janna is really the only way to play her, I think. Her abilities don't scale well with AP, and really all of her buffs/support powers are good regardless of AP.

Tornado (uncharged which is what you mostly will be using it as) has pitiful damage.

Shield is ok, but really you use it more on physical DPS than on a tank. The amount of damage it takes easily drops in one or two hits, so it's far better to use it on a physical carry.

Her elemental is good for slow and your free ghost. Damage is alright, but really it just doesn't scale well.

Monsoon is another one of those that the heal is good, but 4/5 times, you're using it for the knockback rather than the heal.

Building her as physical DPS but playing her as support/dps is what I really like about her, that and and all of her powers can be used defensively or defensively. The physical dps allows you to be somewhat of a threat (no, you're not as good as an ash, or Teemo) and useful in combat, all the while you're still dropping tornados (for the knockup rather than damage) and using shield (usually on carry, not janna herself).
One of the biggest disadvantages of Janna is her poor survivability...yes you heard me...she has a mediocre health pool and low armor without items...That being said a half-decent team would always go for the squishies...Janna is no exception.

A good dps will rape u regardless of the disables since their team also has them.He will just flash in,do his fair share of burst dmg while being supported and will most likely aim for the support in the back.Janna may have a lot of escape mechanisms,but only her ult is useful for that in team fights.

If the enemy team is very close to u and is focusing u for some reason,a 1 sec tornado disable won't save u.Neither will shield or the slow.Not to mention how vulnerable is janna when stunned or silenced...a good dps can eat her in a couple of seconds without her spells.I agree on the spell usage tho.

Can you post your average build?I'll post mine if need be.

EasymodeX

03-25-2010

Soul Shroud, Aegis, win.

Basically everything she needs to be a spam CC offtank aurabot. Merc Treads so she can soak random CC and then be active sooner.

Highly effective to fill a counter-burst role (Monsoon) and sustained combat CC (everything else).

GgomaOppa

03-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderlike View Post
One of the biggest disadvantages of Janna is her poor survivability...yes you heard me...she has a mediocre health pool and low armor without items...That being said a half-decent team would always go for the squishies...Janna is no exception.
This is generally true. But good team wouldn't go for squishes when they are far behind tank, and others.

Quote:
A good dps will rape u regardless of the disables since their team also has them.He will just flash in,do his fair share of burst dmg while being supported and will most likely aim for the support in the back.Janna may have a lot of escape mechanisms,but only her ult is useful for that in team fights.
This is what I would have to disagree with. Is DPS really going to initiate the fight? And risk dying by flashing into 5 enemy champ to die 3 seconds later...for just an attempt to kill one support? And you mentioned being supported...what does that mean? I mean, he just flashed in but no-one else in your team did; unless you meant initiator already went in first - which is a coin toss, either team screwed up for initiator to get in means they already lost half the team battle anyway-.

Quote:
If the enemy team is very close to u and is focusing u for some reason,a 1 sec tornado disable won't save u.Neither will shield or the slow.Not to mention how vulnerable is janna when stunned or silenced...a good dps can eat her in a couple of seconds without her spells.I agree on the spell usage tho.
True. But isn't this why you don't stand around...and use your speed to advatnage, try not to get focused?

ALCie

03-25-2010

I have to agree with Zirun. DPS Janna is not really that great unless you have no other DPS (bad team to begin with). Janna's shield will ALWAYS be more useful if used on a Tristana. Getting some CDR and casting shield more frequently on your DPS will provide a better return to your team.

Janna is annoying to play against. She will knock your whole team in the air, separate the team, slow you and she will always get away with her godly movement speed. Unfortunately, unless she gets fed, her role wont extend much further than that.

Thunderlike

03-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by GgomaOppa View Post
This is generally true. But good team wouldn't go for squishes when they are far behind tank, and others.

This is what I would have to disagree with. Is DPS really going to initiate the fight? And risk dying by flashing into 5 enemy champ to die 3 seconds later...for just an attempt to kill one support? And you mentioned being supported...what does that mean? I mean, he just flashed in but no-one else in your team did; unless you meant initiator already went in first - which is a coin toss, either team screwed up for initiator to get in means they already lost half the team battle anyway-.

True. But isn't this why you don't stand around...and use your speed to advatnage, try not to get focused?
Situation:

Enemy team:Tristana,Alistar,Random champs.
Alistar initiates and throws on of your guys in his team,prolly a carry or dps,then he starts tanking,meanwhile tristana jumps in on the team,exhausts the dps carry and kills the support.Kinda rough but I've tried staying a lot back with janna on an ap build,in team fights everyone eats their load of dmg,which is why tank janna helps the team-she soaks damage on top of her cc and heals.
You can't always hide behind ur tank,and if u do,u can't cast ur ult accordingly and u cant slow that melee going in for the kill for example.
Side note:Ghost is better than flash now.

ntr0py

03-25-2010

DPS Janna is ok early/mid if you push fast. Late game she gets raped by other dps.

Chai

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-25-2010

Janna is squishy, but if played right, you'll still dominate with 1.5k HP. Being a DPS Janna player myself, as I main her, I thought that would be the issue initially too, but surprisingly, she does amazingly well with minimal HP.

The reason to this is due to her insane mobility. Ghost + Zephyr + Zeal will give you untouchable movement speed. I carry Flash as well to get out of tight situations, and once I'm ahead by a little, there's no chance the other team can catch up to me.

I have 107 games atm with DPS Janna and 70 of those are wins. I average about 7.78 kills a game to 3.76 deaths a game as well as 6.8 assists. Take what you will from those stats and what I've said.

CarlSagansCosmos

03-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALCie View Post
Janna's shield will ALWAYS be more useful if used on a Tristana. Getting some CDR and casting shield more frequently on your DPS will provide a better return to your team.
That's pretty much how to play her though. I think tank or DPS is the way to go, because as mentioned she can eat some damage if she has a tank like build.

In the end, she isn't really a tank or DPS, but even if playing DPS Janna, you can still throw a shield on trist. I think this is a misconception held by a lot of people, that if you're playing a DPS janna, you're using the shield on yourself, but this isn't always the case. In most cases I play, and many dps jannas I see played, they usually always throw a shield on a better carry during a team fight.

Quote:
Can you post your average build?I'll post mine if need be.
Sure. Mind you it changes depending on who i'm fighting, but usually goes, Catalyst, then boots (berzerkers), then vampiric scepter into malady and bruitilzer, then build from there. Probably frozen mallet, last whisper, starks, or maldreds bloodrazors, but it really depends on the other team. I like to get maldreds razors just to help with farming.