[Discussion] DPS Janna

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dodd

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-24-2010

People who say that Janna is useless are obviously wrong. They're just playing her the wrong way. Support/AP are so boring. DPS Janna is the way to go.

What are your experiences with DPS Janna?

GgomaOppa

03-24-2010

...They died to Eve 9/0 and Trist could not out DPS Janna?

Dodd

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by GgomaOppa View Post
...They died to Eve 9/0 and Trist could not out DPS Janna?
Yes

Zirun

03-24-2010

DPS Janna sucks.

Her only damage-boosting ability can be cast on teammates (which it should be), and she lacks the damage, range, farming, and/or survivability that many real carries have.

Dodd

03-24-2010

Her damage boosting ability can also be cast on herself. What you're saying is that having 2 dollars is worse than 1. How does Janna lack range? Her attacks are ranged, Howling Gale has one of the longest non-global ranges in the game, and is also awesome for farming; it can help clear out entire waves of creeps. As for survivability, she constantly has ghost on and can use a shield that blocks all forms of damage.

Zirun

03-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion King IV View Post
Her damage boosting ability can also be cast on herself. What you're saying is that having 2 dollars is worse than 1.
No, what I'm saying is that Janna with +48 damage and a 300 health shield is worse than Ashe with +48 damage and a 300 health shield. Or Jax. Or Tristana. Or Master Yi. Or pretty much anybody else that has some kind of attack speed boost and/or good range.

Quote:
How does Janna lack range? Her attacks are ranged,
425 range isn't much compared to, say, Tristana. I can't think of any off the top of my head that have longer range, but I'm sure there's more than a few (Ashe? Twisted Fate?).

Quote:
Howling Gale has one of the longest non-global ranges in the game,
And outside of the laning phase you won't be charging it except to harass during a standoff, making its huge range not nearly as useful.

Quote:
and is also awesome for farming; it can help clear out entire waves of creeps.
It can help, sure. But it can't clear out creeps on its own. Don't forget that it also has a high mana cost and is likely the last ability to be maxed out (especially on a DPS build).

Quote:
As for survivability, she constantly has ghost on and can use a shield that blocks all forms of damage.
When a battle comes, having a permanent ghost on (which isn't quite so permanent when you want to do damage and slow) isn't the kind of survivability you need. Nor is a 300 health shield. Janna's base stats for armor and health are some of the lowest in the game, IIRC. When I'm talking survivability, I mean things like Jax's passives and Tristana's huge range and jump. Things that either let them stay outside of the melee while still doing lots of damage, or things that let them survive the damage being thrown around. Zephyr's passive doesn't let you do that.

As I said before, Eye of the Storm is better used on somebody else. Somebody who has higher range (Tristana, Zilean, etc.) or somebody who can combine it with more than just autoattacks (Tristana's Rapid Fire, Ezreal's Mystic Shot, Ashe's Volley, etc.).

Sakabu

03-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion King IV View Post
People who say that Janna is useless are obviously wrong. They're just playing her the wrong way. Support/AP are so boring. DPS Janna is the way to go.

What are your experiences with DPS Janna?
When going for a DPS build, there is champion out there who are just flat out better for this job. Her base stats aren't that good, and she has to spend some pennies on survivability if she wants to be successflul. Back in the day i was at a lower ELO, DPS Janna used to work like any dps build would work : you can simply be better by just having a decent build. Read : a decent item combo.

Which is not your case btw, seeing as you made black cleaver after last whisper. But nvm.

DPS Janna is mildly succeful as a ganker. As a team assets, she is successful in countering Nunu, Katarina and Fiddlestick. Also, she sometimes can save the day with a knockup and knockback, but not on a regular basis.

DPS Janna can be also succesful like Eve can be succesful. She can snowball as can any other ganker can snowball.

I'm not saying support Janna is better. It's not true. I'm saying there really is better pick elsewhere. Even built as aura supporter, she is overshadowed (Who said Sivir ?).

I'm working on a build that might make her both versatile and able to put a decent dps, working on a combo Sword of the divine, malady and madred bloodrazor. It seems it will require a lot of tries and different setup to test this out. That build might actually be something worthy.

Retsu Unohana

03-25-2010

psst janna is a half assed support hero at best... As for dps NO BAD AWFUL

Thunderlike

03-25-2010

Janna is a sort of all-around.You can build her as AP,Aura support,Tank and DPS and she would do DECENTLY in all of them,but IMO the roles Janna truly shines is blend of aura support and tanking.Janna's magic dmg is subpar compared to most casters,so is her phy dmg.That leaves the support role she was designed for.Since Janna is good at disrupting the enemy team,she can also make an useful decoy if played properly and w/o dying(throw in a guardian angel and this becomes very easy to pull off).Most people tend to think Janna sucks because she is very team dependent.Good coordination and communication wins it for her.
If you play support with some random team that doesn't know when you're gonna dive in and be the decoy and instead they stay back and watch u die,she will suck.My opinion may be a bit biased,but it's from my personal experience.Even if Janna cannot tank as good as a real tank,she does very well as an off-tank with good CC and supporting abilities.Heal and rally are good on her,flash not as much anymore due to range nerf.

CarlSagansCosmos

03-25-2010

DPS janna is really the only way to play her, I think. Her abilities don't scale well with AP, and really all of her buffs/support powers are good regardless of AP.

Tornado (uncharged which is what you mostly will be using it as) has pitiful damage.

Shield is ok, but really you use it more on physical DPS than on a tank. The amount of damage it takes easily drops in one or two hits, so it's far better to use it on a physical carry.

Her elemental is good for slow and your free ghost. Damage is alright, but really it just doesn't scale well.

Monsoon is another one of those that the heal is good, but 4/5 times, you're using it for the knockback rather than the heal.

Building her as physical DPS but playing her as support/dps is what I really like about her, that and and all of her powers can be used defensively or defensively. The physical dps allows you to be somewhat of a threat (no, you're not as good as an ash, or Teemo) and useful in combat, all the while you're still dropping tornados (for the knockup rather than damage) and using shield (usually on carry, not janna herself).