The Xhai Meki Scroll: A Shen Guide

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PackMan97

03-24-2010

He's pretty squishy until Leviathan is filled and you get Guardian Angel and Atma's. Not much MR or Armor, though I completely understand the health stacking for his passive.

Aegis is definitely an item that Shen could use! +health, +armor, +mr, +AD

A Heart of Gold might actually be a decent early item on him.

I'd think depending on how the opponent's team is built, a Banshee's or Sunfire would be very useful.

Jonas Sterling

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
He's pretty squishy until Leviathan is filled and you get Guardian Angel and Atma's. Not much MR or Armor, though I completely understand the health stacking for his passive.

Aegis is definitely an item that Shen could use! +health, +armor, +mr, +AD

A Heart of Gold might actually be a decent early item on him.

I'd think depending on how the opponent's team is built, a Banshee's or Sunfire would be very useful.
If your team needs an Aegis, build an Aegis. Such is the law of the land.

Banshee's actually doesn't hold as much itemization as stacking health to make up for lost MR. If you really need it, you might as well go for the Force of Nature. It's the mana, it's simply worthless on him. And everyone thinks it's MR/UP make up for it. It's not all that great on him.

Churchy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Friend of Urf

03-24-2010

I never understand why people want to dps with tanks.
You are building a tank, so tank. Atmas is unnecessary, the extra 120 damage on your autoattacks really won't mean much with a sub 1.0 attack speed.
Your job is to tank, so instead of buying an atmas spend it on a thornmail/glacial/aegis or something to help you and the team more than you doing more damage.

Just my opinion. The rest of the guide is pretty solid.

edit: he probably doesn't have a sub 1.0 attack speed but I'm just saying he isn't a dpser, he is a tank. Save the atmas for when you are dominating and want to start getting kills instead of assists while you run circles around them in a 40-1 game.

Churchy

Friend of Urf

03-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfNakedNinja View Post
-1'd he just came out dont make a guide.
seiously you havent played him enough to make a guide seeing as how he literally just came out today.
if nobody downrates this then it proves that everyone was just trolling t0ggle...
You either make guides or read them.
If you need more than a few games to understand a character, then you're the type of person reading guides instead of making them.

I don't know much about this toggle except for seeing his "toggle the ______" threads, but his mordekaiser guide said that creeping death should be maxed first as it was the key source of shield strength, when it was quite obvious to anyone who read mordekaisers abilities from afar that siphon was the key to charging a shield.

The OP shows a pretty well versed knowledge of the characters abilities and strengths and gives good reasons for his picks...

OniKedamono

03-24-2010

I'm confused by the skill build, I know you're all around decreasing costs, but other than the ult and dash you just evenly level them up all the way?

This is mostly the guide I was imagining in my head as well, though of course there are some variations for when you fight those with magic and whatnot depending on the situation obviously. Spirit Visage also seemed great to me for those times when you needed a cheap item and some ability vs magic users again.... though after having played him now I do see how painfully he sucks up that energy.

Just looking here to see what the guides were like for him, to compare to what I do and yours seems pretty much like mine(minus I wasn't bothering with Atma's, was fully focused on just all tankiness, had some more MR and MR backup plans), though I'm not so sure on feint simply due to it reducing from anything that attacks you and being yet another energy sink Still trying to find a way to play him really comfortably for now.

Since you have no MR in your build minus the possible Spirit Visage, are you just hoping to beef your way through all the magic with lots of HP?

Edit: Also I really don't like Leviathon and wasn't including it in my build. I really hate the item because I don't like a tank item that encourages the tank to try to live. There's already enough trouble with tanks that won't initiate team fights... I've had enough times where I tanked as Annie and watched something like a Rammus powerballing away from the battle.....

Jonas Sterling

03-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Churchy View Post
I never understand why people want to dps with tanks.
You are building a tank, so tank. Atmas is unnecessary, the extra 120 damage on your autoattacks really won't mean much with a sub 1.0 attack speed.
Your job is to tank, so instead of buying an atmas spend it on a thornmail/glacial/aegis or something to help you and the team more than you doing more damage.

Just my opinion. The rest of the guide is pretty solid.

edit: he probably doesn't have a sub 1.0 attack speed but I'm just saying he isn't a dpser, he is a tank. Save the atmas for when you are dominating and want to start getting kills instead of assists while you run circles around them in a 40-1 game.
I say Atmas because after 17k effective health, there isn't any reason to elongate your death any more. You may as well build an extra -120- damage from one item, get another boost of armor for the Last Whisperers, and have a decent chance of slapping someone in the face.

If you'd like, grab another Sunfire Cape.

Quote:
Since you have no MR in your build minus the possible Spirit Visage, are you just hoping to beef your way through all the magic with lots of HP?
precisely. There aren't any high-tier items with Health and MR on them, and health is where Shen is at. Plus, runeing Blues/Quints MR is enough to build him to almost 50, which is decent.

gun fu panda

03-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfNakedNinja View Post
-1'd he just came out dont make a guide.
seiously you havent played him enough to make a guide seeing as how he literally just came out today.
if nobody downrates this then it proves that everyone was just trolling t0ggle...
People hated T0ggle because he made his guides without understanding the game mechanics behind the hero. Hence the "DPS Annie" spoof that was made. T0ggle spammed guides on heroes that he clearly had little to no understanding of, and would create terrible item builds that didn't play well with that character, all the while being an arrogant ***** to anyone who disagreed.

This guide is (mostly) good and consistent with Shen. QQ moar.

Tateums

03-24-2010

Heh, Nice guide man, Creepy on the speed you got this out on while making it work. So far I like it, my only things I could disagree with would be maybe not red health runes, then again dont really know what else you could plug in there never looked at defensive red runes before lol. Other wise for the items only suggestion I could make would be to drop the atma's and get a starks becuase the synergy with that and your vorpal is amazing. But still really like it +1 mate =D

gun fu panda

03-24-2010

As far as runes go, I'm thinking Magic Pen for reds since that will help his passive out, scaling HP for yellows, and MR for blues, with flat HP quints. I think that will round him out nicely.

SolAnchovy

03-24-2010

Thanks for the tips. I've been trying to work out what's best on him, as well. Frozen M is certainly a synergy-filled item with hps and slowdown.