Taking potions for mid?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tempests Wrath

03-24-2010

Hello good(ish) people of the internet.

For a while now, I have seen people taking a item set like boots + hp potions to mid, or something + potions (I think more often than not it might be the meki pendant).

I play Ashe when I go mid. I take a regrowth pendant (I find it to be more reliable HP regen than lifesteal if my opponent knows what the heck they are doing).

The thing is.. Is it wrong that i usually view the people who grab the potions as easy kills in a few levels? all you seem to have to to is be patient, and whittle them down and force them to pot. If you get hurt back off and let the superior passive regeneration get you back up, and then harass again until they are out of pots. Then harass until their retreat/death as suddenly they dont have any way to heal.

Iv beat people that were much better than me by doing that (not exactly uncommon to find someone better than me, as i am not perfect.). They played better than i did, but because they relied on those pots they lost..

So, if anyone here can enlighten me as to why one would take potions right off the bat.. insight would be appreciated. ((I admit, potions can be useful in certain situations. I just dont think going mid is one of them))

Thank you in advance.

reference::
potion :: 10 health regen/second for 20 seconds.
pendant :: 2.8 health regen/second indefinitely.

Melph

03-24-2010

It depend of the champion your playing. Boots + Potion might be a good option depending of your build/Mastery. In fact if you play with Anivia it's very recommanded to take boots since your the slowest champion ever.

People pick their item with a strategie in mind. Some people are looking to get the first blood while other are just trying to survive the first level hoping to get better mid/late game.

The best starting item are the one work best for you.

IrishDoom

03-24-2010

As Sivir, I always start with Meki and 2 health pots. I don't take something like a regrowth pendant because it doesn't build into anything I would use. The meki, however, is the first piece of the Chalice, one of my key items.

As Sivir, I'm very good at harassing just about any opponent, and my goal is to outlast my opponent in the lane so I can hit their tower. Health pots help me do that at very little cost. My second item after the chalice is the vamp scepter, so from that point on I rely on lifesteal for health. Because of the range of Boomerang blade, very few opponents are able to harass me effectively, and if they do, I always have teleport anyway.

The short version is I would rather spend less than 100g on 2 health pots than all my gold on a pendant that will be useless to me by level 10.

KarenSuck

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-24-2010

it really depends on how well you can harass. Boots will let you harass better, pots are there because you cant buy anything else with the gold left. Boots+ pot combination works really well on TF, teemo, and othere harassing type champions. But boot/pot are not as good, when your opponent can actually fight back.

Also, when fighting head-to-toe with an enemy, popping a potion will greatly increase your chance of survival. Think it as a 15% auto-attack dmg reduction.

Jonas Sterling

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-24-2010

As Ashe, I start with

Elixir of Fortitude
Health pot x 3
Mana pot x 1

and with Morde, I start with

Rejuv **** Bead
Health pot x 6

The pots are circumstantial, whereas the pendant and what not are indefinate. Pros of Pots are, if you aren't taking damage the pots stay with you. If you take no damage but you have a regrowth pendant, not only did you use all your money to buy that, but you aren't getting the Elixir buff I bought for last-hitting/pressure. see what I'm saying?

JunkRamen

03-24-2010

If you always land kills on potion buyers as Ashe mid lane, you're laning against some terribles. Boots/3 hp pot Tristana and TF's are very scary.

Slide

03-24-2010

It depends on the player. I can guarantee you that good players who take 2 hp pots are not easy kills. They take the 2 hp pots because it is all they need.

What ends up happeneing is players who arent quite as good read our guides and advice and find out that we get by with just 2 health pots (or so it seems, other things can help like teleport, rally, heal, healing abilities and lifestealing abilities) and they try and do the same. They meat someone like you in mid and get harrassed to the point you can kill them. The higher you get, the more of a dance it is and the less of everything (harassing/killing) that actually happens.

So thats probably what your experiencing. That and not knowing how to outlane someone with a regrowth pendant. Its not hard, you just need to know what to do. If you dont, you lose the harass war. If you do, the pendant holder is easy meat.

Lastly, IrishDooms last sentence is exactly why people dont like taking regrowth pendant first. If your building a warmoggs thats one thing, but aside from that, its not great (and neither is philo stone, Im sure thats what your upgrading to).

I recommend you try starting with meki + 2 hp pots or boots + 2 hp pots. Smart play can mitigate a lot more damage then a regrowth pendant can. At the very least boots makes you fast enough at first to stay out of attack range of the enemy and win that harass war.

jedininjaman

03-24-2010

Nothing wrong with buying pots at lvl 1.
And WTF do you do w/ a regrowth plate as ashe
get mekis / pots

The Promise

03-24-2010

Doran's Ring + HP Pot for AD Nidalee solo.

It really depends on the champ and the strategy though. I see Katarina's in any lane take Cloth Armor and 5 pots, Boots and 3 pots, Regrowth, on and on.

As Ashe, Regrowth is common as it builds into Philo. Vamp is much less so as it doesn't build into many things Ashe would normally want. But once again, it depends on what you want to do.

StretchyStretch

03-24-2010

If you start with an item that leaves you with enough gold to buy a potion or two, its always a good idea. Regrowth is better than health potions, but not everyone starts with Regrowth. Ive been playing Ezreal lately, and sometimes get mid. I my build is to rush Zhonyas, so i start with boots since i cant get blasting wand yet, i have extra gold, why not grab some pots?