Adding LoL as non-steam game on my Steam games lsit?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mmm Whatcha Say

03-24-2010

When I add LoL as non-steam game on my games list (beacuse I'm tired of alt-tabbing to chat with friends, and I also want them to know that I'm in game and I'm busy) and then try to run it, Steam just says: "Failed to launch League of Legends." Is it beacuse I've got free client from site? Can you only play it on Steam if you buy it through Steam? I'd like to add it on list, but I can't run it :/

Supreme1337

03-24-2010

It won't work because you need administrator privileges to run this game, and therefore launching it from within another program won't work. Also you can't get this through Steam, because this is a free game.

XxDarkReapingxX

03-24-2010

You can add it through Steam, I have it that way on my XP hard drive.

If it is a administrator issue then right click Steam and run it ad admin, and then run LoL via Steam.

EDIT: Oh, and if LoL is installed to the C:\Program Files\ folder, then you need to turn off UAC, or you can reinstall it to C:\. Program Files has special permissions for reading/writing data.

a3n1ma

03-24-2010

That DarkReaping said, you'll have to disable UAC in order to run this game from Steam just because of the way that it works. I remember when testing HoN I had the same issue.

scals

03-24-2010

Yes running it through Steam does work, but there is a huge problem with overlay.

Sometimes if you Shift+Tab (to bring up Steam overlay chat/friends) it will make you unable to use any keys in game.

For instance, a friend messages me and I hit shift tab to respond then I go back in game and everything is fine for a while then all of a sudden my hero won't move, won't respond to any command and just sits there and usually dies because it always comes at the worst time.

But yes, you can load it through Steam just fine and overlay works. I no longer launch it through Steam after I figured out that was the reason my game would lock up. Which needed an alt + tab to fix the lock.

Aregionius

Senior Wrenchman

03-24-2010

Not only can you play non steam games through steam, it imports the game name as whatever the executable is called. So for instance, if you changed the Starcraft II exe to "Stacraft III Beta" anyone that can see you on steam would effectively see you playing SC3