Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Quoted from solomid: "Why TSM won/Solo Queue is still useless"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

1ndY

05-31-2011

"Being busy Saturday and not having anything to write anyway, I decided I might as well post something now rather than wait until next week (I’ll have another post then and I hope and have my Warwick guide completed).
Despite some controversy on Saturday, team Solomid (TSM) managed to get back to #1 at the end of the tournament. Most of the following reasons also apply to EG and the barely eliminated RS for their success.

1. We scrimed. The fact that EG, a team that doesn’t care about getting 2200+ in solo queue could get 2nd easily with only a couple weeks of being a completed team goes to show how much scrim games are worth. I’d reckon each scrim game to be worth 100 solo queue games, the fact that there was a team with at least 10000 games of solo queue experience that didn’t even crack the top two is telling, there is a ceiling on how much you can learn from solo queue. While solo queue ‘can’ show off that a person is skilled, there is no requirement to understand anything but aggressive/passive killing which is extremely effective in solo queue which means there can be tons of people above 2000 elo even that I’d never ask to join a team with since they don’t actually know a thing but how to win in solo queue. Even a team of 1600 solo queuers could break top 8 if they did scrims with other close rated teams rather than play hundreds of solo queue games. Other teams had thousands of hours more playtime but it amounted to nothing as they were all squandered in solo queue while I didn’t even need to play a 20th of the time they did to surpass them because our team scrimmed and attempted to learn.

2. Everyone had a role. People can claim to be a jack of all trades, but it is very likely someone who is specialized at that position would crush that person in their role. This is the same reason people tend to main 1-2 races in say Warcraft 3, unless it’s some strict rock paper scissors game, there’s no benefit to being good at everything, especially in a team game where you have teammates who can do that role. While I’m a horrible AD carry player, I took it up to myself to find a way to jungle several champions at a high level and know exactly how to play the opponent while helping my team. I could practice AD carries but that’d be a waste of time as our team already has a few people who can play that role far better and they don’t jungle often as I.

3. We took it seriously. Some teams actually thought they could sit around and ask for a scrim on the final day before the tournament. TSM didn’t care that they lost to other established teams months ago. The difference was, those teams didn’t even have a fraction of the drive TSM had to go to dreamhack. If they expected to waltz on through with no dedication and thousands of solo queue hours, they were heavily mistaken. For instance Whale who managed to beat us in Go4lol 3 and 4 (iirc) had suddenly became the ‘joke fodder team’ within a few months just showed the difference in which teams just came to the qualifiers as fillers and those who wanted to win. While RS didn’t make it, the fact that they managed to nearly eliminate a team with far more experience and thousands of more hours of playtime just because they scrimed just showed that RS took this seriously. The fact that nobody (forums) even mentioned the other 4 teams due to the fact they don’t try to get better or took this tournament seriously as I sure didn’t see them entering as many tournaments or scrimming good teams as much as mine did.

Anyhow, if you want to be competitive next season or next tourney , you’d better keep these points in mind unless you truly want to spend thousands of hours more than me to just get where I am. Hopefully my Warwick guide (old format) will be done within the week so you can eagerly await it as well as my next blog post Saturday."

BOOM

Tyrald Grimnod

05-31-2011

Is it TheOddOne making another good call?

CTHDRL

05-31-2011

Elo fanatics incoming to -1.

LETMEGUIDEYOU

05-31-2011

My eyes.

EDIT: And now i have read it.
And i believe i agree with you...
...and the person below me

JackBauer1

05-31-2011

Yet if jiji hadn't of recalled in the wrong spot, TSM would have finished third.

Hmmmmmm

scarra

05-31-2011

Best part of this is where someone compares reginald to hitler

that's when you know he's serious

Bottleorum

05-31-2011

Shocking revelations. Who'd of thought playing solo queue wouldn't be as effective as practicing 5v5 games.

I'd figure this would be obvious after playing any type of WoW pvp (premade bgs vs solo queueing and arena).

1ndY

05-31-2011

Quote:
Bottleorum:
Shocking revelations. Who'd of thought playing solo queue wouldn't be as effective as practicing 5v5 games.

I'd figure this would be obvious after playing any type of WoW pvp (premade bgs vs solo queueing and arena).

Y, but then you hear Hotshot saying "I just log in, go solo queue and own everybody there", then he goes 5v5 and gets ownd by everybody

I don't like arrogant kids @ all the fact that after they won WCG and claimed we have no competition bla bla, and now they get ownd left and right is just hilarious..

JOHNNY SUPERNOVA

05-31-2011

Quote:
Bottleorum:

CLG didn't.

lnfuego

05-31-2011

Time to make 5v5 ranked games important again?