poppy ult + thornmail

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cryoburn

05-30-2011

ok so i was playing a game as trynd for fun and forced 4 ppl on the other team to get thornmail. this included their poppy and i noticed something strange...

when poppy ulted someone else and i attacked her, i would take thornmail damage proportional to what i would normally take if i was actually dealing damage to her, but because of her ult i was not dealing any damage and therefore could not lifesteal to recoup the loss of life from thornmail.

so i was wondering if this was a small bug or just some strange interaction between items and abilities that generally doesnt happen often

Bottleorum

05-30-2011

1. Why does she have thornmail?
2. Thornmail does damage before armor/reduction, and is then lowered by your armor (so if you had, say 0 armor, you would hit yourself for true damage, even if they had 300 armor.
3. Poppy's ult probably doesn't make her invincible, just lowers damage taken to 0, which would still cause damage to reflect (see: #2).

You shouldn't be hitting her during ult anyway, so this "possible bug" doesn't even matter.

Itamaru

05-30-2011

lol thats true you shouldn't attack her wth her ult on

Cryoburn

05-30-2011

1. she had thornmail because i was super fed and was 4 shotting everyone on their team
2. ... really nothing to respond to that....
3. if her ult reduced damage to 0... why was i still getting hit for 500-600 whenever i attacked her

if she is the only one left alive and ults someone else its either that or stand around doing nothing

Fifthdawn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-30-2011

It's how thornmail works that causes that.

Thornmail reflects damage before damage mitigation. So say you have enough armor to reduce physical damage by 70%. The "thorn" would deal damage calculated before the mitigation.

Because Poppy doesn't make her invulnerable but instead, reduce all damage by 100%, you would take damage as if it was a 100% reduction.

To make it even easier to understand, see it this way, if you take full thorn damage with 10% reduction, 70% reduction, 90% reduction, 99.99% reduction, then 100% reduction is still a reduction.

So say you deal 1000 damage, it reflects 30% back, you will always take 300 damage back regardless of whether the champ has 1 armor, 100 armor, or 1000 armor.