Amumu build help

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Endomarru

05-30-2011

So I've been playing Amumu lately and I want some tips on my build. Here are the Items
Boots of Swiftness-for speed
Sunfire Cape-for health, defense and extra AOE damage
Abyssal Scepter-for magic resistance AP, and extra damage from AOE
Rylai's Crystal Scepter-for health, AP, and slows people that get near me
Rod of Ages-for health AP and mana
Zhonya's Hour/Frozen Heart-This is the one I need help on

Azellos

05-30-2011

I'm pretty new but i've been having luck with this guide

http://leaguecraft.com/strategies/gu...umu-tank.xhtml

it has guides to jungling and laning, breakdowns on his skills and summoner abilities, very useful item--breakdowns, and multiple item builds depending on enemy team composition (Which, by the way, is the most important thing for building a tank).

joxlert

05-30-2011

as you no doubt know, the gear you get will vary game to game depending on a few factors for example team comp, your KDA ratio, opponents KDA ratio, and gear choices of your team and their team

a few examples of this in action:

if the opposing team has alot of CC you may want to forgo ROA and instead get banshees, i would suggest getting one of these in most games however.

if the AD champs on the opposing team are getting most of the kills, you may want to aim more for frozen heart, and then decide:
- if you feel you will be focused by said AD champs you can go thornmail(especially versus AS geared champs)
- if you feel you wont be focused or you are confident your team will be able to kill/ draw their attention within a few seconds of the immunity, you can get hourglass
- id say you pretty much always want sunfire too so dont worry about that as being an option

if the AP champs on the opposing team are getting more kills or they have magic %HP damage sources you can aim more for abysmal, force of nature (FON can help position stuns and chase), and a banshees if you still havent gotten ROA and feel it necessary

if your team is outkilling theirs and there are no major threats i would generally build ROA CDR boots rylai's and sunfire, and if the game hasnt ended build as needed (look at what the other team is building, and alert your team if you think required, for example power items like snowball items, or if someone or the whole team start stacking MR or something) this gearing information will help alot not only in what you should be gearing but in deciding focus targets

keep a few more general ideas in mind when playing mumu:
his core build IMO seems to be ROA or banshees, Rylai's and sunfire
he can from there do well stacking armor, MR, HP, or even AP

if you feel your team has a good teamfight advantage and you get fed early, there is nothing wrong with going more of a HP/AP route to up the damage output in teamfights, ive gone 18/7/14 recently as amumu using ROA,Rylai,sunfire,abysmal, abysmal, CDR boots using the 9/0/21 caster spec (im still wondering how best to spec amumu) and flash exaust

sorry if i went on more than you wanted

TLDR; gearing can vary game to game, as to the 2 items in question id say it depends somewhat on your spec and thier team comp moreso than anything

Protherous

05-30-2011

I generally go with Blue pill, hp pot and Faerie Charm to start off. Its solid ap for that first gank, with hp and mana regain that will last for the time until you farm 620 gold. Then get a Philosopher's Stone. Throw on magic pent boots next, go for legion, Sunfire, Abyssal , Rylai's and then sell Philosopher's Stone, end off with something like Zhonya's Hour. Selling legion (if you get a 70 min game or 30 kills) after for something with magic resist would be a reasonable way to end a game. Some things can be switched out, legion can be exchanged for a more solid magic resist item, banishes for the solid protection, or wits end to add to magic damage(Its useful).

Wehee

05-30-2011

I play Amumu a lot.
I set my masteries for tanks(the middle column) and my runes gives me magic pen, mana regen, and cool down reductions.

I start out with Doran's shield, it gives me a total of 700+ health and it gives me health regen, which is good during the laning phase.
Then, I get sorcerer's shoes for more magic pen.
I then, get the aegis of legion for health and armor + magic resist(it gives aura to your ally which is good during the early team fights.)
Sell the doran shield, and I get warmog's armor for the health(the health item that you will ever need, by now you should have about 2500+ health, this keeps you from dying easily),
After this i check the opponent team. I see who has the most kills and whether to build armor or magic resist.

If the opposing team has more ads, I would go for the frozen heart and sunfire cape(provides more health).

If the opposing team has more aps, I would go for the force of nature and banshee's veil(provides more health)

It also depends on who has the most kills on the other team.

You don't really need more ability power, (if you have magic pen from the shoes and your runes, you would do a crapload of damage) Amumu's bandage toss when completely upped, it does 320+ magic damage.

rekkless

05-30-2011

i run jungle amumu, first 3 items are always merc treads, sunfire cape, aegis (cloth armor, boots, sunfire cape, merc treads, finish aegis in that order) with a 0/21/9 mastery build. Permits early ganks at level 4 and quickly getting core items. After that i buld based on enemy comp, usually banshees/rylais/abyssal sceptre for last 3 items, if game is really long i'll replace aegis with thornmail or FoN depending on enemy comp.