Karthus - Runes?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KingZeta

03-23-2010

What do you guys think I should be doing as far as my runes go for karthus (T3 obv). I had blue set to mana at lvl 18, red and quint set to Magic pen, and yellow is up in the air, i was thinking reduced cooldowns so I can get requiem off more often. Words of wisdom anyone?

Rockopotamus

03-23-2010

I have about 15% cdr at level 18 on my runepage for karthus and I find that it makes a big difference late game, especially since there are not a lot of cdr items that really fit into a good karthus build other than a fully stacked mejais. Runes + golem buff (and possibly some from masteries if you're not using cdr quints) should put you at the cooldown cap and a lot of groups are more than happy to save golem for karth. Other options like health and AP are too easy to come by in items to be stacked in runes imo.

PatouPower

03-23-2010

Don't take cdr with Karthus, I personally think it's a waste. Personally, here is the build I think fits the best Karthus:

Blue - AP per level (at lvl 6, you already have more AP than flat runes)

Red - Magic pen (it's the same for all casters since red AP is the lower, but magic pen is the higher)

Yellow - AP or HP per level (it's your choice, but I prefer HP per level because yellow AP don't make that much of a difference, and near 200+ HP at lvl 18 is always nice).

Quintessence - Here, I prefer flat AP for an early first blood. AP per level quintessence begin to be more valuable at lvl 12, and it's a bit too late. It's not worth losing a first blood and anyway, by this time, you shoiuld already have some stacks in your mejai's so it wouldn't matter anymore.

Finally, I really think cdr for Karthus is not the best thing. Your ult is really not the greatest thing you can do in team battles, and having it 15% sooner won't help a lot compared to the great damage AP would add to defile + lay waste.

EvilHatcher

08-29-2011

Karthus ratios for his lay waste and defile are so low that Magic Pen runes are better (more damage compared to ap). For the yellow runes, i am still torn between mana regen and health. It depends if you go a mana heavy build with an early tear or if you prefer to be a bit more agressive and be able to take one more hit.

Jadlak

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-29-2011

Red - Magic Pen
Yellow - AP / Lvl
Blue - AP / Lvl
Quint - -% time dead

suicide bomber karthus ftw!

NoobsWillOwnU

08-29-2011

I actually prefer building Scaling Armor resist Seals and Scaling Magic Resist Glyphs on Karthas.

He has some of the lowest base armor ratios of any mage. Therefore adding armor/MR has also one of the most noticeable returns since it wont take too much to raise it up a few notches.

For Marks, Magic Pen as usual.

Quints: Move Speed. Karthas is so freaking slow naturally. Using 3 ms quints will turn +2 boots into boots of swiftness with move speed masteries as well. Never underestimate the power of mobility.

Veilrez

09-02-2011

I would focus more on mana regen personally. I like to spam Q and farm with E early game and the mana regen helps more. I'd get magic pen Marks, either Armor or resist Seals, flat mana regen Glyphs, and Quint's are a little more of a prefferance.

I'd probably use atleast 1 movement speed and Flat mana regen.

I guess I'm obsessed with mana regen on him. My thought is that AP is easier to incorporate to most AP builds than mana regen. If you start off with mana regen in your rune page and get a Meki pendant first thing with 2 health pots you'll be able to spam your Q more. After you get your E the passive will help you with mana also. I just hate the thought of running out of mana.

Nexus Crawler

09-02-2011

I prefer Tanky Karth and don't see much need for CDR on him. Sure it drops his ult, but then with just masteries you can get it pretty low.

Marks - MrPen
Seals - Flat Armor
Glyphs - MR@18
Quints - 1x MrPen (for 10), 2x MS

Works pretty well and can take some damage, but still dish it out well. You're Q and E (main damage) are on a short enough CD already that even 40% doesn't make much difference, and you don't need your wall every 4 seconds. MR/Armor/MS is nice on every one especially when dodging skill shots or positioning. Works well, even in 3's.

Rawrful

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-02-2011

I like AP/MPen/mana Karthus. It is actually my go-to page for all offensive mages that you want to be long range harassing a lot with.

Marks - MPen
Seals - mp5/level
Glyphs - AP/level
Quints - Flat AP