runes: mag pen VS AP

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JeanLucPicowned

03-22-2010

so which quintessence is better:

1.89 magic pen

or

4.95 AP

????

i'm prepping for buying a buncha stuff once i hit level 20 and have been saving all my points

for marks i'm getting the .95 mag pen
glyphs - .99 AP
seal - still not sure about as there isnt really a good magic one but either just the APs or i'll steal the health runes from my tank page

anyone have any other recommendations on runes for caster classes?

Aircross

03-22-2010

If you're going to go offensive caster then magic penetration might be a better choice than ability power.

Ability power does not always scale at the same rate, whereas magic penetration is on a straight scale.

I myself have AP runes, but that's because Taric's heal and ult increases with AP.

I don't have any numbers on me, so hopefully someone will post numbers comparing AP with magic penetration for offensive casters.

JeanLucPicowned

03-22-2010

ah ok cool, gotya - thanks! i use my tank page with taric. i havent made any champ specific pages just cuz i like playing a lot of different ones and i try new ones every week when the selection changes. but AP runes on taric would def be awesome

Phreak

Shoutcaster

03-22-2010
1 of 1 Riot Posts

A few reasons:

Armor scales higher than MR on every champion in the game. The numbers are different as a balancing act for that purpose.

Also, casters get AP or cooldowns which directly affect their spell damage as a primary trait on Glyphs.

OOPS, I didn't read the thread fully. I though AP was armor pen. Disregard this

Etyn

03-22-2010

get mag pen imo.

I fail with mathz. (cept i CAN divide by 0)

So here is my take (with out math)

You buy magic penetration runes.

Then with your character, you build AP stuff.

or.

You but AP runes

Then with your character, you build Magic Pen stuff.

Which is going to work better for YOU?

IMO - Building for AP stuff is natural. So I buy the magic pen runes. Then if I happen to see a buffed out Ali I can alter my build and bring in the extra magic pen I need.

Each dps character needs two things imo. More damage, and more penetration. What you cover with runes you make up for in items.

^Protip^

Schadadle

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-22-2010

Health at lvl 1 quints are greater than everything else.

Lilitu

03-22-2010

I don't have the math to back it up but on the majority of heroes magic penetration is better. Getting Void, Sorc, and Haunting Guise is unrealistic in a game but buying AP is more easier and better. There are some exceptions I guess. Taric was mentioned, Soraka too.