Gangplank basics?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Breidr

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-30-2010

So, on a whim I went and purchased Gangplank just because I wanted the Minuteman skin. I took him into a game after learning his abilities and watching commentaries... and got rolled. I average a 5/3/6 (courtesy of LoLBase.net) in my games with GP, I end about 1/8/4. I thought there would be some cross over from my most successful champ (Nunu) with ice blast/parrrlay in basic combat. It seems like by the time I drop a Cannon Barrage they've pretty much cleared the area, I'm finding it hard to lead my targets. Are there any basic ways to play Gangplank, or am I doomed to feed?

PineappleBunz

12-30-2010

This is my understand of Gangplank. There are three general ways to play him, which are Critplank, APplank, and Tankplank.

Critplank has the basic setup of: Sorcs/Mercs, Chalice/Manamune, Infinity Edge, Bloodthirster/Phantom Dancer or whatever you choose afterwards. This is assuming that you don't have say mana regen/5 runes. If you do, you can probably skip Chalice/Manamune.

APplank is shown in one of the guides below (flip a page or two maybe?). General items to consider: Sorcs/Mercs, RoA/Banshee's, Lich Bane, Rylai, Zhonya, Nashor's Tooth, etc. etc.

Tankplank depends which route you want Crit/Tank hybrid or AP/Tank hybrid.

Normally, I would go E (deny)>Q (Parrrley)> W (Cleanse) then prioritize R and whatever you want. If I want to last hit easier, I pick Q. If I want to move a bit faster, I pick E. If I need to heal/cleanse more often then I pick W. Your priority if possible are: deny, last hit with Q, and harrass with Q. If you have a ranged laning partner then awesome, he/she can help out harrassing. This way you can save Q for more last hitting. The deny does add up eventually. Prioritize Anti-Turret Minions then Melee Minions then Ranged Minions. I believe their experience and gold given is in that order (greatest to smallest).

As for your ultimate, I would just throw it whenever I think can help my team or gank. Throw it on them if you think enemy are committed to a fight. Or you can throw it such that they are at the edge so if they want to b, they either have to run around or go through your barrage or go and fight your team. If you packed Exhaust, then if your enemy is pushing you too close to your tower then Ultimate + Parrrley + Exhaust + Melee might net you a kill.

Depending on how you built your Gangplank, you might want to stay back or go in. You might just stay back and Parrrley till their health are low or their main damage is used then melee. Gangplank is a bit squishy. APplank can heal pretty nice but thats also your CC removal so don't always use it for healing.

Practice makes perfect, good luck.

Cenerae

12-30-2010

To use plank's ult sucessfully, you'll want to wait until a fight's committed. Fire it off after the enemy tank initiates so his team has to walk through the whole thing to join in, which hopefully will damage them a lot.

The rest of it is mostly hanging back and using Parrrley on cooldown, Raise Morale if there's creeps around, and perhaps an autoattack here and there if you can do so without dying. Save Remove Scurvy for enemy CC, or just use it for a heal if you think it will let you get one more attack off before dying.

This should cover teamfighting for both AP and critplank, since their playstyles are basically identical.

mindspin

12-31-2010

I'll tell you how I play GP, but incoming wall of text. TL;DR at the bottom.

I've been playing plank a lot, and have tried out a numerous amount of 'cookie-cutter' builds as well as experimenting with my own. In playing GP, I've found that his largest limitation for either ownage or surviving is his extremely long cooldowns. With no increased CDR you're looking at using Scurvy like, every 20 seconds or something like that. That's ridiculous. You are a damage dealer and you're good at dealing damage, but IMO to prioritize damage items from the get-go is a mistake. You need to round him out a bit.

I've discovered a build that works rather well, and mind you I play him a little bit more as a support champ vs. a hard damage dealer. CDR is my priority, and luckily Plank benefits from the cheaper alternatives rather well. I take red and purple crit chance, yellow mp5/lvl and blue flat CDR. 9/0/21 emphasizing the crit, CDR and spell penetration (for ult) in offense, and then all the usual ones in Utility, but getting improved Clairvoyance and improved ghost/flash. (whichever you prefer. I'm a ghost man, myself) In normal queue, often times your team will lack CV and it works very well for you, considering that you will be watching the map for using your ultimate in key situations anyway. If the other team has a jungler you can spot them for counter jungling, and contribute to the gank with your ultimate while farming in lane. Essentially, this build puts you into the role of team captain as you should be on top of the map awareness game.

For items I do the following,

-Chalice (rush this, mp/5 level isn't enough for this build, but increases the effectiveness of the chalice. A little extra early game survivability can't hurt, either)
-Boots
-Brutalizer
-Sorc Boots
-Spirit Visage
-Ghostblade

Once you have Ghostblade completed, you will have 40% CDR, some extra crit chance/damage and extra survivability with your Visage. (it really amps up your W) Why take Sorc boots? They're recommended for him for a reason - with sorc boots you will notice a SERIOUS spike to your ultimate's effectiveness midgame. Seriously. The first time I tried it, I was blown away. Not only that, but it will give incentive for their team to build MR which will take their focus off of armor, so your physical effectiveness won't be hampered as much. And if they don't build MR... woe unto them For late game items just get damage. Infinity Edge and whatever situational item for your 6th slot might be. By the time you're 18 you can also sell your chalice, as your MP5/level will be maxed out and you probably won't have issues anymore.

As for playstyle, I think anytime you play Gangplank you should try to skirmish with him, but not necessarily 'commit' to an engagement. This is especially true for this build, which is not mega-tanky by any means at all. You will be able to heal back a large portion of your hp coupled with your Visage, but even with CDR you will have to dodge in and out of the fight to stay alive, only now your escape ability will be on a 10 sec cooldown vs. a 20ish. But yes, wait for some kind of initiation so you can pop your ultimate. I personally love to use it when the opponents initiate, and THEY'RE committed to the fight, because this will make them wish they hadn't. Once your ult is popped, run in and hit someone with your Q and melee them once or twice. You'll probably absorb one or two nukes and a cc or two. Once you start to get focused, DON'T PANIC. Wait til everyone has blown their load on you and pop your W. Wait til your health is about half before you do. Don't waste it. Get out of the fight, catch your breath, and head back in. Don't forget to use your E if you can in team fights.

I hope that you get a chance to try this build out and discover its joys. The philosophy of the build is more CDR = more use of abilities = effectiveness = more fun. Acting in the capacity of team captain (or coordinator might be a better word) you can really see a team come together when you're popping CV in their jungle and halting their effectiveness with ganks and general knowledge. I hope you (or anyone else who reads this) find a chance to try this build out and have positive results! I'm considering writing a guide about this build, if you have any success with it please share it with me.

TL;DR
GP as a support champ by maximizing CDR. Item build is above, but take 9/0/21 with Clairvoyance and have maximum map awareness. Runes are Red/purple crit chance, yellow MP5/lvl and blue CDR.

PineappleBunz

12-31-2010

Seems rather interesting, basically you delay huge contribution via Parrrley for the first half of the game. This is because you don't have Infinity Edge till pretty late. Well all depends how well you farm and how well those Cannon land on the enemy. But you survive pretty good, Chalice + Visage gives you a nice chunk of MR.

I'll try that sometime too. =D

Kroghar

12-31-2010

Gangplank is probably my favorite champ that I don't play. I prefer melee champs and I think Gang is one of the most dynamic during the laning phase, and I love that he can push lanes and still contribute to team fights from a distance, but in reality he's not contributing much at all.

Problem is Gangplank really just doesn't bring much. His ult inflicts a little mayhem, MAY toss up your opponents in a team fight, but it's not going to help as much as the more defined roles of Carry/Tank/Assassin/Support/CC. Critplank can have some burst, but it's on a cooldown and takes a LOT of farming to get strong. Raise Morale is kind of handy, but pales in comparison to abilities that Taric/Sona/Janna/Galio put out. Denying xp is nice, but outside of arranged matches it's unlikely that holding someone back a level will make an impact.

Gang is a mix of several different roles and he doesn't excel at any one and the abilities don't come together into a pretty package like Nidalee. Even when I have a good match with Gangplank, net a lot of kills, stay alive, etc. I still feel like I'm wasted space.

Last I heard he's being reworked, I'm looking forward to it.

Wouldn't take all that much to help him contribute, allow his passive to apply on Parrley so he could debuff from a distance. Make Remove Scurvy targetable so you can heal and remove debuffs on team-mates, or buff Morale to scale with AD, or add AS. Something along those lines.

mindspin

12-31-2010

Well, your armor piercing Parrrley's will still hurt, and you still have crit chance. Squishies will feel it, for sure.

The build is not that expensive though, really. If you have competent lane mates (or even better, a true support) you can farm til the end of time by keeping the lane pulled. But of course, that's best case scenario and biased.

IMO GP's ult is what makes him for team fights. Having it up every team fight is crucial.

Eppa

12-31-2010

Honestly Triforce>IE until you get a ghostblade and crit cloak triforce deals more damage on average than IE on parrrrrrrrrrley.

Personally I go E, Q or W, what I didn't get earlier, R>W>Q>E.

LosZorros

12-31-2010

The effects of GP on a game are subtle, apart from the huge parrleys late game. You buff your team with raise morale. You use raise morale whenever you can while laning on melee minions or cannon minions to deny them experience (it makes a huge difference). And a well-placed ult in a team fight easily turns the tides.

Your job is to deny their carry or their tank. You prevent them from gaining exp with your E, you harass with your Q, and your W (especially with ghost and flash) gives you great staying power and gank survivability. You are not a godly carry, you're a support dps.

Also, if you notice your team is engaging in fights out of lane, carry wards with you. You can drop a ward and use it to raise morale.

Larson McMurphy

12-31-2010

Great post ricklessabandon. That pretty much sums it up. I'll second that you should deny and farm as much as possible when laning and out maneuver your opponents and parrrley the squishies during team fights.

This is a bit of a side note, but I guess I should mention it here. There is another thread that kind of died off that was discussing trinity force on gangplank. I've been testing it out and I've been having pretty promising results with this build:

-trinity force (start with sheen, though I generally pick up a ruby pretty early cuz I'm kind of a|\|aL about survivability with any champ that I play)
-whatever boots you want (finish boots before trinity force is complete)
-youmuu's ghostblade
-infinite edge
-atma's impaler
-banshee's veil

Trinity force gives damage output comparable to infinite edge in a vacuum (you can look up that other thread if you want details, I posted charts) but the movement speed helps gangplank in fulfilling his role of kiting a bit better. The slow proc and health are also welcome additions. The sheen gives you consistent powerful parrrlies early game, and trinity gives the same through the mid game. Once you've finished your infinite edge you'll be crit-ing for as much as a more traditional critplank build. My largest crits are close to 1400 once atma's impaler gets thrown in. I've only played about 10 games with this build so far, but it looks promising. It might be worth testing out.