[Suggestion] Ping display

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

chaos122

05-28-2011

Hi, i was thinking about the idea of being able to see your ping BEFORE actually loading the game and being screwed that its too late to leave.

And also inside the game being able too see your ping without having to mouse-over it.

Think about it, thanks.

chaos122

05-29-2011

bump

DaejinTye

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-29-2011

Hmm... Interesting idea...

If your ping really does differenciate depending on the players in your game, then yes. This would be a good idea.

I, however, never really noticed much of a difference between my games in my ping. Maybe 10-20 difference, but that isn't much.

Now, if you're worried about an off-chance that you're tryin to play while downloading something, and that sky-rockets your ping from 60 to 200 or something... Then simply don't play and download at the same time.

chaos122

05-30-2011

you really think i will open a thread because i download and play at the same time?.. be serious for a minute...

Anyway, even in WC3 you can see your ping in the lobby with a chat command, why there shouldn't be something like this in LOL?

puppy match

06-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos122 View Post
you really think i will open a thread because i download and play at the same time?.. be serious for a minute...

Anyway, even in WC3 you can see your ping in the lobby with a chat command, why there shouldn't be something like this in LOL?
I somewhat agree with you on this idea, but I think Daejin is right about consistent ping value through out all your games.

I recall that all LOL matchs are hosted at the server side. Which should literally be the same location for all your games. Therefore your ping for game 1 should almost be identical to game 2.
IN COMPARISON, WC3...the player that created the room/lobby usually is the host. That means your ping will vary from game to game, depending on where the host is. I believe that is why its very essential for you to see the ping at the start of the game for WC3.

HOWEVER, I am aware that LOL server ain't the most stable one around, and it would be nice for you to check the ping value before advancing to a game.

chaos122

06-01-2011

well even if the ping SHOULD stay the same all the time it clearly doesn't, and i'm sure making it so that we can see it before starting a game is not too difficult.

Megolantix

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-01-2011

Here's a trick to test your ping before you enter a game.

Open up command prompt and type "ping google.ca", I believe riots servers are located in California, so this should give you a good estimate of your ping.

chaos122

06-01-2011

I've just tested that, and in the command promt it said i have about 100 ms, and in the game i had about 600...

puppy match

06-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peroxisome View Post
Here's a trick to test your ping before you enter a game.

Open up command prompt and type "ping google.ca", I believe riots servers are located in California, so this should give you a good estimate of your ping.
This won't really work...cuz google's server is better than RIOT's
pinging google only prove you have decent connection from "client" side (which is your equipment)
ping delay not only is affected by internet bandwidth but also server and client hardware efficiency.

Just FYI.

chaos122

06-02-2011

Ok i think I found the solution, just write in the command promt: "ping riot.ca"
should be accurate.
although it would be nice to have a ping display in the lobby as well :P