Master Yi Build

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dr Fagget

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-28-2011

I'm lvl 17 and I have begun to main as Master Yi in both 3v3 and 5v5. Is this build any good?

Doran's Shield
Ghostblade
Phantom Dancer
Frozen Mallet
Infinity Edge
Guardian Angel

I try to play passively before I get the ghostblade, just trying to lvl up asap and getting a lot of last hitting going. Once I get it I manage to dominate most heroes in ganking or just straight up 1v1. The Frozen Mallet lets me clean up afterwards very well and gives me a lot more survivalibility as well as the guardian angel at the end. Any thoughts?

LoveYuRi

05-28-2011

Ghostblade
Beserker greave
Stark fervor
phantom dancer
Blk cleaver
Bloodthrister

At the end sell stark for madred bloodrazor.
(glass cannon build btw, Kills most squsihy in 1- 2 seconds).

Snaketeeth01

05-28-2011

i would bypass the doran's shield.

If your jungling they key to clearing it fast is your AS, since more attacks will activate your double strike faster. You can start out buying a dagger and health pot. After clearing a couple creeps you can head back to base to grab a few more pots. Which may sound like a waste of time, but before you know it you'll have both buffs and be level 4.
This didnt start happening for me til i was after 20. So you may want to try laning for a few more levels, or practice jungle.

The advantage of starting out dagger is that it wont take you long to save up to finish zerker's boots. granting more AS and much needed move speed. By being able to move faster than your opponents you can land more hits while chasing, and escape easier. Which is why i get phantom's asap.
Phantom's alone offer's decent crit chance, and paired with infinity offers some nice damage.

For a while I too went ghostblade, but I dropped that. Stacking it's active with your R is overkill, and half the time you will forget to activate it anyway. The armor pen is nice, but your better off with whisper of black cleaver. The CD reduction is useless. With alpha being the only skill you would want to CD while your helping a tf, shaving off 1-2 seconds won't make adifference because as soon as you are targeted you die in an instant anyway. You have to pick your moment to strike.

I don't suggest frozen mallet because it is an expensive version of red buff, and is better replaced by stark's or black cleaver. Frozen mallet is good if you can't get to buffs all the time, or if they have a fast moving team with alot of flash/ghost.

Guardian angel is a waste also. If you die when you are solo, you will just die again when you revive. If you die when your in a TF, you can alpha strike as soon as you arise which will deal some damage, and hopefully using your fast attacks you can leech back enough health to survive the fight. I personnaly would rather get banshee's veil, or quiksilver sash whichever is needed. Your biggest problem will be enemy ranged AP attacks anyway So either will give you some needed MR. With sash offering the ability to escape stuns or blind.

Another advantage to stark's is that you can buy vamp scepter early in your build, 2nd or 3rd item for 450 gold. relatively cheap offering %12 lifesteal. Obviously more AS will affect how quickly you gain, and more AD will affect the amount stolen. This scepter alone will ensure you won't take damage from jungle creeps. And will indirectly negate autoattak damage from enemy champions.
If at anytime you feel your not taking enough life, or your just losing helth too fast for any reason. An easy fix is to spend an additional 350 gold upgrading to emblam of valor offering %17 lifesteal, and an aura effect of 10hp/5 seconds.Which naturally helps teamfights even the slightest. From there stark's is an additional 1700 which i finish lategame.

My end build usually goes:
Zerker greaves
phantom dancer
infinity edge
stark's
black cleaver
Armor

Then sell zerker's purchasing another phantom dancer. No significant change to movespeed, but will increase your AS more, as well as bumping you up to a solid %80+ crit hit rate. If every hit you make lands a critical piercing through %40 armor and healing yourself for %20 you can tear down heroes very quickly.

Being level 17 I would reccomend taking offensive masteries, possibly with a few points in defense or utility to grant yourself some mana regen or armor. Crit dmg % marks, armor pen marks, armor seals and whatever glyphs fit your playstayle. Just rock tier 1-2 runes til you can buy tier 3. Yi will shine later onc eyou hit level 21 and can g full offensive masteries.

iDuhlan

05-28-2011

Don't get a Phantom Dancer.
You're master yi, with ghostblade + Highlander you have more attack speed, for literally half the cost.

My build for Master Yi usually goes:

Dorans ring (this helps you not go out of mana in lane and boosts your meditate substantially)
Dorans ring (yes, two. They're good items)
Merc Treads (always, ALWAYS get these, zerker greives are deceptively bad on yi, since you're a melee squishy champ, if you get CC'd you die almost instantly)
Ghostblade
Sell your Dorans rings now
Infinity Edge
Bloodthirster (or a last whisper if they have a lot of armour)
Banshee's Veil

Remember to always pop ghostblade when you use your ult, and you will be sitting at 2.0 attack speed, and deal twice the damage if you had a phantom dancer.

During the lane, take one point in Q, then level E and W at the same rate, prioritize E if you're dominating your lane. Of course take your Ult whenever it's available.
1-6: Q W E W E R
Priority: REWQ

Snaketeeth01

05-28-2011

I would say using exhaust will be just as effective as a ghostblade, but won't take an item slot.

Consider this. What does ghostblade give? reduce cooldown which is not needed. Armor pen which you can get from black cleaver as well as additional damage (more leech + higher crits). Although the active from this item is benefiacial while your ult is on CD, it offer no benefit is TF's. what good is additional CD reduction, when all your abilities reset when you get a kill anyway? If you focus on killing a squishy in less than 2 seconds you will benfit more than if you built a a ghostblade.

Brutalizer offers more CD and slight damage for the cost of 1337.
For the same price I can build a zeal offering movespeed + crit + AS. That combined with exhaust and redbuff will far outweigh A ghostblade.

Factor in that Phantom dancer and Infinity edge offer at least %50 crit chance with %250 damage outweighs the armor penetration. Armor pen is really only beneficial against heroes that have a natural or are stacking armor.

Phantom dancers movespeed plus redbuff ensure that any hero you engage must either
A} fight back and take your full damage
B} try to run but fail and get slaughtered

If you are playing as a jungle Yi and trying to gank as soon as you hit level four, I cannot stress enoug how important having early movespeed and AS is. As at this point you will have higher movespeed than most heroes, and with the added AS, activateyour passive more often.

Endofosho

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-28-2011

I use him as my main and i am lvl 14, by the way i rape.

Regardless, here is the build i use.

Core

Boots of Speed -> berserker greaves
Recurve Bow -> Stark's Fervor
Zeal ->Phantom Dancer
B.F. -> Infinity Edge

After this i go either Black Cleaver or Blood thirster
Depending on the game. Normally i get both.

Other items that are good are:

Tiamat - for pushing mob waves
Frozen Mallet - If you want to slow down your enemies a
Guardian Angel - normally i don't get this just me though

In games that go on forever I swap boots for:
Madred's Bloodrazor

Situational items:

Banshee's Veil
Last Whisper
Force of Nature

Remember this is all up to you, i have seen different builds.
This one is very expensive so you must Always be killing something.
Also when you have all these items you will be unstoppable until you get them you are pretty squeamish.

Little warning to all you would be warriors.

Endofosho

05-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDuhlan View Post
Don't get a Phantom Dancer.
You're master yi, with ghostblade + Highlander you have more attack speed, for literally half the cost.

My build for Master Yi usually goes:

Dorans ring (this helps you not go out of mana in lane and boosts your meditate substantially)
Dorans ring (yes, two. They're good items)
Merc Treads (always, ALWAYS get these, zerker greives are deceptively bad on yi, since you're a melee squishy champ, if you get CC'd you die almost instantly)
Ghostblade
Sell your Dorans rings now
Infinity Edge
Bloodthirster (or a last whisper if they have a lot of armour)
Banshee's Veil

Remember to always pop ghostblade when you use your ult, and you will be sitting at 2.0 attack speed, and deal twice the damage if you had a phantom dancer.

During the lane, take one point in Q, then level E and W at the same rate, prioritize E if you're dominating your lane. Of course take your Ult whenever it's available.
1-6: Q W E W E R
Priority: REWQ

This is a waste. you don't need the rings pretty pointless and a waste of money.
and don't get meditate at the very end it is point less for dmg and wastes your mana even more. However, after you get it in late game you will have enough mana to use it. Also, this build offers no armor pen which you must have in most games.

Greyfeld

05-29-2011

Ok, I don't know what all these sub-30 players are doing online this late at night, but here's the real skinny on Yi:

Master Yi's best best qualities are being able to backdoor turrets, and tearing down squishies. For both, you need move speed, attack speed, and attack damage.

If you're laning, you should either be starting with Doran's Ring, or Boots with 2 health pots and 1 mana pot. The former gives your Alpha Strike a little more punch as well as giving you some lane staying power with the mana regen, while the latter gives you the movespeed you need to chase down runners in the lane as well as a quick path to Zerker Greaves. Either choice is fine, but you should probably make your decision based on who you're laning with.

If you're jungling, cloth armor and 5 health pots is fine. Just have somebody leash blue golem for you, take it down after popping a health potion, then alpha strike your way through the jungle. You'll want to build a Wriggle's Lantern ASAP for the lifesteal and the free ward.

Either way, your first items should be your tier 2 boots (zerker greaves, or merc treads, depending on whether or not you feel you need the MR and CC reduction), and Zeal. Since your passive procs more often with attack speed, and your Wuju Style ability gives you a passive boost to your attack damage, your best way to increase your damage output at the beginning of the game is to get a couple attack speed items.

After Zeal, you can either flesh out Phantom Dancer, or pick up your first BF Sword so you can piece together an Infinity Edge. IE is one of the highest raw AD items in the game, and gives you a huge amount of crit, which makes tearing through squishies a lot easier. The AD is also massively helpful for towers.

At this point, you should finish your Phantom Dancer if you haven't yet, then build a defensive item (Banshee's Veil for MR, Randuin's Omen for Armor, or you can get Guardian Angel for a bit of both... especially if you're already wearing Merc Treads) so that you're not liable to squish the moment people turn their attention on you.

Most games will be over at this point, but if it's not, your best bet for last items are Bloodthirster, Black Cleaver, Stark's Fervor (mostly only in the case of AD-heavy teams), or a second Phantom Dancer.

Whatever you do, make sure you have, at the very least, a Vampiric Scepter by the time you finish your Zeal, since lifesteal is your life line. Also, as important as attack speed is, it caps out at 2.5... so make sure that you aren't wasting your ult's buff by having too much base attack speed. Those stats could be better dedicated to more AD or crit.

Also, if you're about to get the kill on somebody, pop your cooldowns. They'll refresh the moment you land the killing blow, and if you're in a situation where you're getting ganked, or have multiple targets to kill, you'll have access to your cooldowns several times in a short span of time.

Backsword

05-29-2011

Thank you, Greyfeld!

What is your stance on Ghostblade? Don't ever get it? There are a lot of conflicting opinions and experiences here.

Also, what are your thoughts on which summoner spells to use and skilling order?

So if I have this right, your core build is:

-Berserker's Greaves/Mercury's Treads
-Phantom Dancer
-Infinity Edge
-Banshee's Veil/Randuin's Omen/Guardian Angel

Then you can follow it up with:
-Bloodthirster
-Black Cleaver
-Stark's Fervor
-A second Phantom Dancer

Did I get that right?

Dr Fagget

05-29-2011

oh sorry guys I meant:

Doran's Shield
Ghostblade
Beserker Greaves
Phantom Dancer
Frozen Mallet
Infinity Edge
Guardian Angel

And I sell the shield whenever I need the gold for the later items. So should I get a bloodthirster or a black cleaver (if they have alot of armour) instead of the mallet? And instead of the shield should I go for a ring, boots and pots, or something that would go into the ghostblade like a sword/brawlers and some pots? I love the ghostblade by the way so I will keep it in there Well untill the later game if I finish my build and go for something like Trinity Force, Black Cleaver, Phantom Dancer, Infinity Edge, The Bloodthirster, and Guardian Angel.