[Suggestion] "I Heard you coming"

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Areola

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

03-21-2010

TL;DR
I'm suggesting implementing footsteps and other auditory queues to add a new level of awareness to this game. With this, there would be elixirs, items, and skills to prevent your footsteps from being heard.

While I was in the shower the other day (All of my best ideas happen in the shower ;D), I thought about something. What if instead of relying completely on visual queues to know when an enemy is about to gank you from the jungle, you could utilize auditory queues as well?

If you don't see (or hear) what I'm getting at, I am suggesting implementing the ability to hear your enemies footsteps, or the sound of them rustling in the grass. I believe implementing this would add a completely new level of skill and awareness to the game. The more you have to pay attention to detail, the more into the game you are going to be.

Yet, some may complain that this will render any attempts to gank useless.

To combat this I suggest also implementing elixirs, items, and skills that cause your footsteps to be silent.

Sound is a key feature in many other competitive games, including almost all First Person shooters, World of Warcraft, and some RTS games. I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be a factor in LoL.

In Conclusion, I value everyones opinion on this matter. I know people have a tendency to dislike most suggestions, simply for the sake of being argumentative. Please try to get past that and consider the facts above .

Thanks,

Chakra.

Areola

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

03-21-2010

How did this get posted twice...

I guess just ignore the other one

Bregan

03-21-2010

very interesting. a very innovative idea for a game like this.

a problem arises with wanting to amplify that sound using the sound settings in order to gain an advantage. perhaps it would amplify it along with other sound effects. some people may be willing to take that, and others wont, leading to imbalances.

cost: you suggest items and elixers. im not a big fan of spending that much money on something like that. skills would lead to certain champs having a rather unfair advantage in that area. or if they werent good at ganking in order to balance out the skill, then why have the skill in the first place? poor form i'd say.

although i do enjoy innovative thought, and i commend you for posting it, i think that it would simply be an over complication in a world where simple is better. now to clarify, abilities dont have to be all that complex in order to be innovative, i've seen some rather awesome abilities in my time that after a moments thought realized it was really quite simple (though probably pages of code to get perfect).

KingsRight

03-22-2010

i like this idea. dota has footsteps and it aids me well... example; nerubian assassin while vendetta invis gives himself away if you listen closely. pudge makes loud footsteps. shadow weaver has wierd spiderwalk sounds.

Areola

Recruiter

03-22-2010

@kings Thanks for the support . You can thumbs up my post if you would like.

@Bregan No one likes to spend their money on things like that. That's the beauty of it. You have a choice. You can be heard or you can avoid being heard. It's like when the enemy team has twitch or Shaco. You can choose to purchase an elixer to see them and avoid being ganked, or you can trust your ability to get away and not purchase one. It's a risk ;D

RiotJay

Associate Sound Designer

03-22-2010
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Hey ChakraBullets,

This is a really cool idea and something I think would add a lot of immersion to the game. As Bregan points out, there are a lot of gameplay implications that need to be considered, but I hope it is something we are able to experiment with in the future. It would be awesome to finally hear Alistar stomping around or Annie skipping through the woods!

Keep the great ideas coming all!

Areola

Recruiter

03-22-2010

Thank you .

Yeah, I realize this is way more than a simple change. If anything does happen in the future with it, don't hesitate to notify me.

Pinith

03-22-2010

I'm pretty attached to having background musing playing, so this wouldn't be good for me.

Maybe a good idea for a separate game mode down the road, but I'd a visual-only version remain.

CyberTootie

03-23-2010

I support the idea of footstep audio.

DeathWingSC

03-24-2010

No to this. It won't help when your sound goes off randomly or something. And it would create a new layer of stealth.

It's a good idea, but in another game mode, don't ruin the game with 1 simple change.