Smurf Accounts

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NeilPatrickTaric

05-27-2011

[waiting for smurfs to downvote]

Y'know what would cut back a LOT on people creating smurf accounts?
Make it so activation of your new account requires a real email account.
'Cause right now, it's far too easy to create a new summoner name.
How it is now, you can come up with a completely random email address.
It doesn't matter if it exists or not. My god, I've even used smurf@smurf.com
So how it is now, it's easy to make a new account, smash faces in a level 1 game.
And do it again, leaving that name unused ever again..
Not to add you can do this to troll the forums as well.

I think this is quite a good idea because it wouldn't stop you from making a new account, but it would cause you to put in a little bit more time and effort to do so. I'll be the first to admit that sometimes I create a smurf account to play low levels because sometimes I'd like to either do well with a champion I've never played before, or I'm frustrated with how games are going on my main account, and believe it or not I sometimes like to create one just to mentor some of the newer players. Even when i'm pubstomping (which i try to hold back on) new players, i like to advise my team and enemy team and give tips and pointers.

TL;DR: how it is now, it's far to easy to make 50 different smurfs in under 5 minutes because it doesn't matter if the email your provide is real or not. please scroll to the bottom to see more alternatives

let the downvotes from trolls and smurfs commence.
also, commence the jigglin'!.

edit: People believe that having a unique email address wouldn't be enough to address this issue, so what else could be done when creating an account to cut back on the number of smurfs? I do believe that they hinder the experience of new players far too much. Not only because the smurfs are usually much better than new players but because their attitudes hamper the experience as well, You don't know how many games i've been in that a level 6 is RAGING at a level 2 for being a noob and not knowing how to play the game. If this happened to me in my first game (which i'm glad it didn't because i started with friends) then i would have never played this game again. I've been playing for a good two years now.

Other ideas could include:
A time limit (ex: you may only create an account every few days depending on your IP address)
A name limit (ex: you may only have a certain number of accounts activated at once, again related to your IP address)
The best one I can think of is that you must reach at least level 10 on any account you have before you may create another one.

I'm looking for alternatives to limit the number of smurfs one person can make instead of only allowing every person to only have one account only. any other ideas?

Gems Are Truly Out-wait for it!!-Rageous!!!

edtehgar

05-27-2011

yeah cause people wouldnt just use 10 minute mail

Cherry Cola

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-27-2011

I would downvote, but your name is so cool.

Jin Synn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-27-2011

its quite easy to make a new email account, so this solution wouldn't really work

Kittoes

05-27-2011

I have multiple e-mails specifically for this reason. I have two Steam accounts purely because a friend bought me the Orange Box for Christmas when I already owned it. So I created a second account to share with friends.

So yeah... not gonna stop Smurfs...

Duelpower

05-27-2011

I laughed at your name dude. Didn't even read the thread. I was too busy thinking what NPH would look like dressed up in shiny armor shouting things about precious stones.

Khattamshud

05-27-2011

I used smurf@compuserve.com.

Yes that's right.
Compuserve.

NeilPatrickTaric

05-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jin Synn View Post
its quite easy to make a new email account, so this solution wouldn't really work
but it adds an extra step, especially if you have to return to your email to activate the account. I know it would deter me more if I had to create a new email every time i wanted to create a new name, but as of now it's far too easy.

and yay. my name is cool!

Artemis Black

05-27-2011

All of my alternate accounts I went and made actual emails for. It takes like two minutes max to make a new email.

Frank the Golem

05-27-2011

I'm not nearly the most internet-savvy person I know.

I could have over 1000 legitimate email addresses activated within the next hour.

There are numerous email providers who grant free, easy-access email precisely to get around that very bottleneck. Sorry, but it wouldn't help as much as you think.