Did you like this guide.

Yes! 105 61.05%
No! 13 7.56%
Needs some work! 33 19.19%
Please never write another guide, kthxbai. 21 12.21%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

[Guide] Katarina - Doing it AP style.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tacktula

03-20-2010

Hello, on a first note I would like to let everyone know, this is my first guide and in no way do I think this is the only build for Katarina, and I'm in no way an expert on her.

Playstyle:
I like to play her as a finisher, go in after the tank get the right positioning pop your ult and then target the squishes, you will destroy all the squishes. Laugh at them as they fall quickly. You are a hit-and-run go in and get back out if your getting focused you can take some damage but not much.

Skills:Q - Bouncing Blade - Katarina throws a dagger that bounces from enemy to enemy dealing her weapon damage + bonus magic damage. Subsequent hits do 15% reduced damage. The number of enemies hit and the magic damage scales with skill level.

Note: Weak as AP Katarina but use it to harrass early. Procs Rhylai remember that.

W - Killer Instincts - Passive: Katarina's attack is increased each time she consecutively hits the same target. Active: Katarina's next basic spell has a bonus effect. Bouncing Blade does full damage to every target hit and reduces incoming healing to the target, or after using Shunpo Katarina's dodge chance is increased for 3 seconds.

Note: Passive useless for most part as AP, I tend to use the active with conjuction of Shunpo, the dodge chance is critical for getting away or staying in for that 3 seconds.

E - Shunpo - Katarina instantly moves to her target location. If the target is an enemy, she deals damage.

Note: High damage as AP use it carefully 9/10 you will land behind the target keep that in mind, in case you get stunned and nuke.

R - Death Lotus - Katarina goes into a state of extreme focus, throwing daggers with unrivaled speed at one enemy champion per level of the spell. Channeling.

Note: Tricky, make sure if they get out of range instantly pop out of it, it doesn't have a large range so be sure of that. I beleive Rhylai works on it which will help with keeping them in for longer, try to use it from the direction they will most likely go, so that they will have to run past you, also try to pick targets that may be preoccupied many times they will not notice you and take most of the damage.

(Passive) - Voracity - Every time a champion Katarina has damaged in the last 15 seconds dies, she gains 50 gold and her cooldowns are reduced by 15 seconds.

Note: Awesome, awesome, awesome end of story, pop your ult get 3 kills/assists and you have your ult again. Also good for shunpo tower dive then shunpo out. Fun stuff. Also can net you alot of gold in the long run.

Summoner Spells:

Personal Favorites:

|Flash: A 2nd shunpo and good for getting away or getting a kill, love it, live it, enjoy it.
|
|Exhaust: Great for locking them into your ult or shutting down those carries.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Other Spells:

Heal: Ok skill if your having troubles staying alive constantly or getting focused grab it.

Ghost: Great escape tool or catching up for a kill.

Revive: Meh, who even uses this thing?

Smite: Lawl get outta the jungle noob.

Teleport: Good for surprising a lane, grabbing a quick snowball of minions or getting back into the action.

Cleanse: If the team is smart you will get CC'd and focused run in wait for them to pop CC pop cleanse and then ult and lawl at there face. I guess =D.

Fortify: Team setting/Premades if you feel anything else is useless.

Clarity: Roflmao if you have this you have some serious issues, cause let me tell yah there is no mana for you to restore... That I know of I guess.

Ignite: Good for finishing people off. If they make it away with no Health get close pop it and lol in IRL.

Rally: If you get the improved pop it down pop ult and you got one good damage boost. And a nice little heal.

Clairvoyance: Team setting again, not that great though.

Runes:
Interchangeable but I choose
Marks: Magic Pen
Seals: Health per level, Dodge, AP per level your choice
Glyphs: CDR per level.
Quints: Any of the stats stated above.

Masteries:
I do a 21/9/0
I like the extra survivability in the defense tree and the extra damage in offense. Good mix.

Another good one is 21/0/9
Plz for the love of god don't get the mana regen in utility.

Item Build:
Start: Regrowth Pendant/Doran's Shield: Not necessary but if you hate getting harassed then get it. It does work wonders/Feel free to get Doran's Shield this will make you beefier but easier to harrass..

Sorcerer's Shoes
Rhylai's
Mejai (Optional: Credit to
rximmorta)
Lich Bane
Zhonya's

On you now have 5 items, now its all situational
If you have few deaths and notice you are not getting focused get more AP.
If you are getting CC'd up the butt, get your self a banshee's
If you wanna Lawl in there face with your 3k hp get a warmogs.

Note: I have only made it past Zhonya's once.

Gameplay:

Skill Build:

1:E
2:Q
3:W
4:E
5:E
6:R
7:E
8:W
9:E
10:W
11:R
12:W
13:W
14:Q
15:Q
16:R
17:Q
18:Q
Early Game (1-6):

Start off shunpo, saves your life and good for harassing but be careful with it you get put on the backside of the champion. Harrass with Q. Pop W and do E then run out. Slowly get there HP down, when there low enough and they go up to far get them and laugh. Once you get your ult look for opportunities to gank.

Note: People with high health regen or heals are your worst enemy.

Mid Game (7-15):

You should have a good number of kills and assists under your belt and should have Rhylai's and working on Lich Bane. You are now a killing machine your slowing them down on every skill and chasing people down. Continue doing what your doing

Late Game (16-18):

Stick with the team and push, when a team fight starts pick the squishy target and own them. After there dead get to the middle of the melee war and pop your ult. I've gotten a few Triples kills under my belt due to this tactic.

What to do when your not doing so great:
If your having a bad game try not to let it get a hold of you, anger will always make you reckless. If you feel your getting focused and not getting kills or assists get more survivability you may not get as many kills but you still get gold and the passive Cool down for an assist.I have noticed if I do bad at the beginning I either do really terrible the rest of the game, or I get lucky and during team fights I'm getting all the KBs or I'm not getting focused. The main lanes I have troubles in are stun heavy or high regen/healing. My main tactic as Katarina is to slowly bring away there HP then prepare for the final blow.

Well that is the end of my guide.
Constructive criticism is appreciated.
If your trolling gtfo because I don't like you! =D
Happy face pwning with Kat.
Please let me know what you want in the comments. I'll try to answer questions and such.
~Tacktula
3/21/10 - *Edit* - Added optional Mejai
3/21/10 - *Edit* - Added a "What to do when your not doing so great" section - Enjoy! =D
3/22/10 - *Edit* - Added option Doran's Shield
PS: I do accept friend requests and enjoy playing in groups of 2-5. Ingame name = Tacktula
PSS: If you play with me I totally call Katarina
Bah bai!

ChopStix

03-20-2010

Lol Tacktula noob only go 20/0/12 Git gud plz

Tacktula

03-20-2010

Oh no you didn't Choppy!

junja

03-21-2010

What are your thoughts on mejai's?

Tacktula

03-21-2010

Well if you know your going to be getting 15+ stacks soon then yes go for it but its recent nerf makes it less as useful. I would try to put it in after Rhylai because you really need Rhylai it gives you much needed survability and the slow.

Commodore Frank

Adjudicator

03-21-2010

Guide looks pretty good. Have you considered adding a haunting guise or void staff? I've found that boots + guise does wonders for my AD Kat.

Tacktula

03-21-2010

No I haven't really thought about so stuck on that build because it works wonders but I may give it a try. Lichbane + Zhonya is total destruction though =D. As it is now I get a total of 24.1 Magic Pen from Masteries and Runes.

PS: Remember to vote in the poll!

rximmortal

03-21-2010

You buy base items , But Your build DOnt Content Mejay which is your main sourve of AP , that means you have items for too tooo much gold and actually dont have much ap
as i can see you normally have 160 ap without consuming elexir , which is not so much at all. I like the idea with rylai + lichs bane , but without mejay you are stuck ing around 200-230 ap which mean that on combo you make nearly 500 - 600 dmg which is not so good for items for 7k. + you actually dont have much health. As i can see , When you have lichs bane that means that you will fight IN the battle normally they concentrate on you , and in my experience if you dont have at least 3k hp, you are gone. You said that you wait and jump adter the stuns are gone , good but after the stuns are gone that means that 2 of you team mates are dead or are on kritikal point , when you jump the one that will took all the damage will be again you. To simple all said upper , My vision of katarina is that You must have 3k+ hp 300-400 ap , and than you get lichs bane .
Actually you can become with 3k+ hp and 300 ap for 6k gold which is really really cheap

Tacktula

03-21-2010

My build gets me to about 2.5k hp which to me seems a good amount get a warmogs and you have over 3k hp, but only when focused, when I mean wait for the stuns wait till your team initiates or they initiate then go not wait for the battle to be half over then go. I usually get around 250 AP which gets me some decent damage with Lich Bane. Although Mejai is good only if you plan on not dieing much and get plenty of kills and assists. I mean if I feel its a good match I will squeeze it in there but just I don't feel the gold worth it compared to having a Lich Bane or Rhylai. But thank you for your feedback and I will most definitely give it more tries.

Note: Just did a game as Katarina with Mejai after Rhylai, did very well 25/5/11. =D
I had 400ish AP and each dagger from my ult did around 200-250 and they got wrecked.

rximmortal

03-21-2010

, I am happy for you