Maokai - Ima tree

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ventus72

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-19-2011

[Guide] Maokai – Ima tree by Ventus72

*Last Update* 7/12/11*

NOTE:This specific guide is for Maokai, The Twisted Treant, and how to play him as a tank caster hybrid.

Table of Contents:
Brief Description
Abilities
Summoner Spells
Masteries
Runes
Maokai and Laning
Item Build
Team fights – What to know

First off, Maokai is TERRIBLE when it comes to 1 vs 1 combat face to face. However, he is very good when it comes to harassing other champions in his lane. If a Master Yi or a Tryndamere get right next to you and are tired of your saplings going kamikaze on them, then you better run for your life! Your auto attacks are almost nothing and not be relied on in combat. Unlike some characters like Rammus that actually get a somewhat strong auto attack, you don’t have much. That is why you are playing as a tank caster.

[Abilities]
Passive: Sap Magic- Each time a spell is cast near Marokai, he draws energy from the spell gaining a stack of Magic Sap. At 5 stacks Maokai’s next auto-attack will heal maokai for 7% of his max HP
-This is somewhat good for staying in your lane, and it helps that you are spamming your Saplings. If you end up laning with or against someone like Karthus you will highly benefit from your passive

Q – Arcane Smash Cost: 55 mana
Moakai sends a small shockwave in front of him damaging enemy unit by 70/115/160/205/250 (+ 0.4)
and slowing them by 20%/27%/34%/41%/48% while knocking back all enemy units surrounding him
6 second C/D
-This is, in fact, Maokai’s weakest ability. However, it adds great crowd control and has the smallest cool down. Also, the knock-back is great for interrupting channels for characters such as fiddlesticks. You will constantly be using this in Team fights to CC the hell out of the other team

W – Twisted Advance Cost: 75/80/85/90/95
Moakai Quickly transforms into a cloud of energy, immune to all damage, which quickly travels to the targeted enemy dealing 80/115/150/185/220 (+0.8) magic damage and rooting the enemy in place for 1/1.25/1.5/1.75/2 seconds when he reaches the target
13 second C/D
-A great ability of Maokai’s that can be used to engage, chase, gank, and chase.

E – Sapling Toss Cost: 70/80/90/100/110
Maokai flings a sapling which deals 40/75/110/145/180 (+0.4) magic damage on impact

The Sapling wards the nearby area and chases down any enemy units that approach, exploding to deal
80/130/180/230/280 (+0.6) magic damage. Saplings last for 35 seconds.
12 second C/D
-This will probably be your most used ability, despite the large cool down. You will be using this skill to put out most of your damage and even harass enemy champions.

R – Vengeful Maelstrom Cost: 75 mana ,30 mana per second
Toggle: Maoki creates a magical vortex which protects him and allied champions by reducing incoming damage from all sources except turrets by 20%

Maokai can end the effect at anytime to release the stored energy dealing 100/150/200 (+0.5) (+2 per damage absorbed) magic damage to all enemies inside the vortex. Maokai can store up to 200/250/300 bonus damage
40/30/20 second C/D
-Maokai’s ultimate. The only time you will be using it is when there is a team fight or gank, because you cant 1 vs 1 well. Also, with it’s large C/D you will may only be able to just use it twice in a team fight, because when the enemies are moving out of the vortex, your going to want to end it to put out some damage. However, you will want to keep it up as long as possible without draining your mana to protect you and your allies. How you use it depends all on position.

Your abilities throughout the game should look like this
(1.)E (Rank 1)
(2.)W (Rank 1)
(3.)Q (Rank 1)
(4.)E (Rank 2)
(5.)W (Rank 2)
(6.)R (Rank 1)
(7.)E (Rank 3)
(8.)E (Rank 4)
(9.)W (Rank 3)
(10.)Q (Rank 2)
(11.)R (Rank 2)
(12.)W (Rank 4)
(13.)Q (Rank 3)
(14.)E MAX
(15.)W MAX
(16.)R MAX
(17.)Q
(18.)Q MAX
R>E>W>Q

The reason of this being once your E is at rank 4, your good to go. You can now 1 - shot caster minions of your sapling has landed on them, and explodes by them as well. Also, during the later game, there is going to be team fights that your E harassing will not make it very useful. By this time, your W is a priority. Your Q is also very needed, but like I said, it is more used as the knock-back rather than a short ranged slow.

[Summoner Spells]

I will measure how the summoner spells apply to Maokai by this key:
-G: Good
-B: Bad
-Y: If you would like it
-N: (Need) Must have

• Exhaust-G; Always good to weaken champions
• Ghost-N; You will need to run, for whatever reason, you will need to get out of there quickly
• Heal-G; You will be taking a lot of damage, and your passive does not heal you very well
• Revive-B; You don’t have a global movement ability, so no point to going in 1 vs 3 after the fight
• Smite-B; Unless you’re jungle, but why would you when he is so much stronger laning?
• Teleport-Y; (Does not work on Saplings) Good for getting around
• Cleanse-G; You will be tanking and engaging first/second, you will be stunned
• Fortify-B; You should be dominating your lane, you fail if it’s falling.
• Clarity-G; For when team fights last forever, so will your ult
• Ignite-Y; Honestly, You’d be better off picking another spell.
• Rally-G; When your staying in your ult, rally will be very effective when not moving around the map
• Clairvoyance-B; Saplings do the same job, and more
• Flash-N; For when you need to get out of places FAST
I would very much recommend you pick AT LEAST one Y. Maokai has almost no good ways for running, so flash or ghost will help you live those 3 man ganks.

[Masteries]

Masteries for Maokai are a simple 9/21/0
3/3 Archmage’s Savvy
1/1 Cripple (If you decide to use exhaust)\ 1/3 Deadliness
4/4 Sorcery
1/1 Archaic Knowledge

3/3 Hardiness
3/3 Resistance
3/3 Strength of Spirit
3/3 Harden Skin
1/2 Defensive Mastery
4/4 Veteran’s Scars
3/3 Ador
1/1 Tenacity

Note: You if you choose Heal, Cleanse, or Fortify, replace Defensive Mastery for its attribute.

[Runes]
Marks – Magic Pent.
Seals – Mana regen. per level/ armor
Glyphs – Magic Resist/ mana regen
Quints. – +5 AP/ + 1.5% movement speed/ +26 hp

It should end up looking like this:
Greater Mark of Insight x9
Greater Seal of Clarity x5
Greater Seal of Resilience x4
Greater Glyph of Warding x7
Greater Glyph of Clarity x2
Greater Quint.o f Swiftness
Greater Quint. of Fortitude x2

Giving you:
Magic pent: +8.5
Mana Rengen /5 at lvl 18: + 7.8
Armor: +5.8
Magic Rest.: +10
Movement Speed: + 1.5%
Health: + 52

[Maokai and Laning]

Your going to start off with a Dorans Ring for the extra mana regen, hp, and ap. Now pick your lane, preferably not a solo, but it can work. Once in your lane, throw your saplings into the bushes to make sure no enemy champions try to get first blood off of you. Your job now is to harass AND farm. Your sapling grenades make for EXCELLENT farming.

Hopefully, if you farmed well enough you should have about 1700 gold in lane before your level 8. Recall back to base and buy a catalyst protector and a simple pair of boots.

Go back to your simple farming and harassing to send the enemy to hug their tower like it’s their long – lost brother. At level 8, your E should be at rank 4, which allows you to 1 shot caster minions with it.

Maokai is a good ganker, however, you need to depend on your teamate(s) to be ready immediately. Your going to want to make sure you're in range, and W while your teammate is also engaging. After so, run around the enemy so you can
Q them backwards and slow them. Throw down your ult a good distance where the enemy will go. Keep doing your W rush and Q knock-back to keep disabling them and your team should be doing all the same.

[Item Build]
There are many good builds that I have seen all over the forums. Some for mage, and some for tank. As hybrid, you take items that will give you a good amount of damage and defenses.

Start with Dorans Ring and sell later
Get Catalyst protector
Mercury's Treds
Glacial Shroud
Finish Catalyst protector into Rod of the Ages
Rylais / Sunfire Cape
Abysal Scepter
-

(Build Frozen Heart whenever you feel you need it)

The blank space is for the item that you will need against the other team. Here are some of the following that work well with him:
-Banshees
-Thornmail
-Zhonyas Hourglass
-Lich's Bane (If your fed and feel like your tanking is good enough)
(NOTE: Philosophers stone will also work if gotten early.)

This allows a good mixture of tanking and damage. But please not, Maokai does not have good ap ratios, but he doesn't have bad ones. You should be able so a good amount of damage while still disabling and tanking the enemy team.

BAD MAOKAI ITEMS

I have seen many bad builds, as well.
- Archangels Staff
Please never get this, the item provides no HP, or defensive stats. If it's mana regen your after, you'd just be better off with philosopher's stone. There is no point if Maokai's ult if you cant stay alive. Durability.
- Rageblade
Just..... don't. You shouldn't generally be worried about attack speed, and you won't get much use out of it during team fights.

----Yes, I have seen Maokais who didn't know what they were doing get these.....

The idea of the items here are to (1) Give you damage through your abilities and (2) provide durability.

[Team Fights]

Maokai is a wonderful asset to have in teamfights. Whether it be a gank, or a face-check by someone from your team, you can take them all!

In team fights, please don't make the mistake of going in 1 vs 5. Also note, Maokai is not good when it comes to tower diving. You do not do godly amounts of damage in a short time, and you also don't have much means of turret defense because your ult does not apply to turrets. If you want to do ANYTHING, go with your team.

In a team fight be sure to lay down your ult IMMEDIATELY so you can get as many people in it as possible. Try to keep as many people i your ult. You WILL want to keep it up as long as possible. Not to deal the most damage, but to protect your team! Your ult SHOULD NOT be relied on as damage output. Yes, the damage output is very useful, and you should try to hurt people with it, but that's its secondary use. Primary, protect the team.

Soon your going to be wanting to quickly W the unsuspecting squishy carry and have your team go in. You should now Q to get everyone off of you and go back. This allows for better disabling, more saplings, more damage, and you live longer. When you go back, you will most likely be low on hp, so while the enemies are chasing you, your team will take them out. Yes, you will go back to throw a sapling, and then W in again, and Q them back to your team.

Also, in team fights your passive can allow huge amounts of healing. So 5 spells to heal 7%? In a team fight of 10 people I'm sure at least 7 spells are thrown out every two seconds. You'll be healing more than a Mundo in Jana's ult with a Taric right by him.

Waldini1

02-20-2011

awesome thanks

Paintah

02-20-2011

As for starting items i like starting with Meki pendant and turning it into a Chalice and then doing exactly the same thing as you haha, I find chalice solves a lot of his mana issues, but ill try your rune build see how it does. im not normally a fan of mixing but ill give it a try as tree is my fav hero atm

wezzleey

02-20-2011

Never use is ult???? Are you serious? His ult is FANTASTIC! Other than that, I like this guide.

Maxmatical

02-20-2011

His ult's very situational, because c'mon, who's gonna stand in his ult, waiting to get hit?

Also, I think it's a fine guide, but maybe go a bit deeper in utility? Maokai doesn't really need any damage boosting masteries

Paintah

02-20-2011

Guys Imo his ult is for zone control, it essentially is an area that They dont want to fight in so you have free reign to wail on them while they try to leave, Or they fight you and get stomped anyway. Its pretty amazing

Tony Hayward

02-20-2011

I still don't understand why anyone even uses sapling toss for anything besides visiblity.

Ventus72

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Hayward View Post
I still don't understand why anyone even uses sapling toss for anything besides visiblity.
If you read the guide.... At rank 4, the saplings can 1 shot the caster minions. If you keep doing that with the endless weaves of minions you will be making some great farming. Also, are good for harassing during the laning period. Champions like Veigar and Caitlynn
who have no means to heal themselves, Saplings can do a great amount of damage on them, thus weakening them for when you want to engage.

Tony Hayward

02-20-2011

His e is a straight gimmick. You trade being useful for being able to harass/farm - I pick being useful. w to target and q as soon as it lets up cripples a single target for like 5 seconds at max level, and the w/q combo does significant burst to squishies early game.

Also your all wrong about his ult too. One well placed/timed ult will win a teamfight. Its his main ability.

Ventus72

02-21-2011

To say, I made an update to Maokai's skill build as to what I think will work better.