An Extremely Long AD Jungle Shaco Guide

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MoarYogurt

05-26-2011

01/17/2012 - Changed to reflect new masteries.

An Extremely Long AD Jungle Shaco Guide

My Credentials:
I am a 1500’s level solo queuer. I have a 60% Shaco win rate in ranked and he has taken me from the 1400’s up to the 1640’s. I have come to rest in the mid 1500’s and tend to bounce around in that range.

I am no Regi or Kobe24, but I can help the majority of people. I managed to teach a level 12 to make his way through the Jungle with Shaco using 11 points in utility and 1 in offense and 8 armor from runes. It can be done.

Introduction:

Why you shouldn’t play Shaco:

Shaco is not for the faint of heart. He is difficult to play and requires very quick, reliable, situational judgments and a lot of forethought. If you aren’t playing him for the cool factor of a clown with knives who cracks jokes while he stabs people, you probably shouldn’t bother. He is NOT easy or OP.

Why you SHOULD play Shaco:

He is FUN. He is an absolute blast to play once you get situated and know him really well. He’s the only character that keeps me coming back to this game. He is a solid, usable champion that can do absolutely anything with the right build, the right mindset and enough knowledge of the game. Also, it is a myth that he cannot team fight, it just requires work.

Runes and Masteries:

I run 18 Armor Penetration (AP) and 19% Attack Speed (AS) on my rune page. This is customizable to what you feel benefits you the most after you have him figured out. I like this because it helps me clear my jungle quickly and adds enough damage for me to gank effectively. Getting up to this total of stats requires Tier 3 runes. It is entirely playable without Tier 3 runes, your jungle will just be a little bit slower.

Masteries:

0/21/9

People will argue with me over this. I build him like this in case my boxes get popped. I can do the entire jungle without going back with no leash on the golem or lizard. This is important for Shaco because most people will have little to no faith in you, so they often won’t want to help you. AT ALL. You are usually on your own.

This spec will also allow you to attack someone in the middle of their creep wave because of all the damage reduction and the small amount of regeneration you get from it. You can gank without worry of taking too much minion damage if you are reasonable about it. Don’t jump into a wave of 9 caster minions and two tank minions and expect to live for very long. I’m not advocating suicide.

Take 1 in Summoner's Resolve, 3 in Hardiness,3 in Resistance, 4 in Durability, 3 in Vigor, 1 in Indomitable, 1 in Veteran’s Scars, 1 in Siege Commander, 1 in Initiator, 2 in Honor Guard and 1 in Juggernaut in the Defensive Tree. For the utility tree, take 1 in Improved Recall, 3 in Expanded Mind, 4 in Swiftness and 1 in Runic Affinity.

Summoner Spells:

Ghost and Smite. Smite is for jungling. You need to be able to do your buffs early and quickly to gank, secure your buffs and secure your dragon and Baron kills. Ghost because I like the mobility. Ignite is not very much damage at really low levels. You need to be able to stay on your target and continue auto attacks with your Lizard Buff. You will output more damage just by being able to continue to hit your target than by throwing a low level ignite on them. Later in the game, the use is generally the same as you clean up team fights. It can also help escape from a gank while split pushing.

Skill Order:
W->E->Q->E->E->R->E->W->E->W->W->W->Q->Q->Q->Q->R->R

Reasoning: The only bonus to leveling R is increased damage on its explosion. The **** thing never actually goes off on a champion unless the person playing that champion is extremely bad or makes a huge mistake. A higher duration fear or more damage and/or slow on your Q or E is a better deal by far.

Shaco is about control and annoyance. If people aren’t getting irritated with all the boxes they run into while trying to catch you or your teammates, you are doing it wrong. If you have the mana for it, you should be dropping a box, every time the cool down is up, along most of your available retreat paths. Bushes, the middle of the lane behind your creeps, corners of walls in the jungle. ALWAYS have a box you can run to so you can Hallucinate or Deceive and escape or kill someone. If you have another box to run to after that, people tend to stop chasing. A level 5 box can output 575 magic damage and includes a 1.5 second fear. Two boxes is over 1000 magic damage. That HURTS.

Jungle Route:

I have no pictures for this. If they are requested, I will put some up.

There are two major routes. My favorite in normal games is to stack boxes at Blue->Wolves->Wraiths->Red->Gank/Invade. Make sure to stack your boxes about a half an inch to an inch above the sign next to golem. You have to pull the golem into the boxes or they will attack the miniature lizards and waste their precious DPS. Don’t run too far, or you will pull the lizards out past their auto attack range and into the boxes. Practice this before jumping into a game. Screwing up his jungle early makes for a LONG game. Done correctly, the boxes will take the golem down incredibly quickly and you won’t have to use your smite. Save it for Lizard.

Another option you can start with is Red->Gank. The slow on Lizard is often enough, combined with a box and deceive, to get a kill. This depends on who is mid, however. If they have an early game dash, it won't work. If your boxes get popped, you can rotate to Golem Buff, drop one box behind him, and take him down with your Defensive Spec and Smite.

A third route, which is dependent entirely on your jungle opponent, is to box stack at Golem Buff, take it without smite, level Deceive (Q) first and invade the opposing jungle. Hop the wall behind dragon/Baron, depending on which side you are on, and hide in the bush next to the opposing team’s Lizard buff. Don’t box stack. Just wait for them to get Lizard low, drop a box, Smite steal the lizard and start auto attacking the already weakened opposing jungle. Save your Deceive if possible. You are vulnerable without it. This will generally get you a kill. It will at the minimum, get you a free Lizard Buff and demoralize/frustrate the enemy Jungler who is now behind.

There are other creative things you can do with your boxes in bushes around the enemy jungle. I prefer to gank lanes after I have invaded, but that’s up to your play style.

Item Build:

Shaco is squishy and item-dependent for his damage. Thus he needs resistances, damage and life steal, but not necessarily a lot of hit points.

Build: Armor/5 Pots-> Madred’s -> Boots 1 -> Wriggles->Recurve->Wit’s End->Boots 2.

From here it diverges. If you are facing a lot of AD, HoG/Atma's/Randuins/Cleaver is an ugly thing to face.

Against a lot of magic Hexdrinker/Catalyst/Atma's/Banshee's/Cleaver works well. Atma's is just way too good to pass up.

Mix and match for a properly mixed team.

You will output a LOT of damage while being very tough against most opponents. Malzahar will still destroy you, but that’s suppression. If you survive the burst, you can generally deceive out, but DO NOT try to face tank a Malzahar. EVER. You have to get the jump on characters that are better at the control game than you are.

Armor and 5 Health Potions is the start for this build. After your first gank, you should be able to pick up a Madred’s Razor and a couple health potions. It is best, if you can get two ganks off or farm enough jungle and lane creeps after a gank, to pick up Madred’s Razor, Boots and an HP Potion. Wit’s End speeds up your creep killing/Champion killing significantly while also offering some MR to stop Annie from eating you when you try to gank her. HoG gives you a needed HP boost. Choose your boots at your leisure. It depends entirely on the game you are in. Black Cleaver is an amazing DPS option. Hex Drinker is great if you are taking too much magic damage. Atma’s puts a nice touch on your build, giving you enough armor to survive fighting a true DPS champ and healthy chunk of damage. Super late game, Starks ups your life steal and DPS significantly.

End game you should be running around 150 armor, 120 to 150 MR (depending on Hex Drinker/Last Whisper), 250 Damage, 20% Life Steal and 1.8 Attacks Per Second with about 2200 HP and a bunch of crit. That’s a lot of effective HP, especially when refilling it with Life Steal, and a LOT of damage. You can go toe to toe with pretty much anyone as long as you box and ult.

Early Mid to Late Game:

After the giant early game gank-session, team fights generally start. People leave their lanes vulnerable. Objectives such as dragon and Baron become extremely important. ALWAYS have a ward on dragon. If you lose a dragon, run into his pit and reset the timer on your mini-map so you know when it comes back up. After 15 minutes, Baron should be visible at all times. Wriggle’s has a ward up every three minutes. Use it. You won’t be disposing of it until extremely late game. Controlling the PvE objectives in this game controls the game and wins it for you.

Take this time to split push and farm. Shaco, despite what people think, doesn’t tail off horridly if you have farm. That said, don’t take too much farm. Your Ashe needs farm too. You should generally end the game with around 200 creep kills if it hits 40 minutes. Most of this will come from split pushing.

Split Pushing:

Split pushing is not running off by yourself and pushing a lane while your team messes around in the Jungle. Split pushing is a concentrated effort to push two lanes at the same time. 4 members of your team go to bottom and you head to top. Drop a box behind your creep wave, where it will not go off, and then wipe the enemy creep wave. Move up. Drop a box behind your creep wave, where it will not go off. Move up. Continue box-marching up your lane until you hit the tower. Use your ultimate on the tower and knock it down. If someone comes to kill you, run to your boxes that you have placed in the lane. If they chase you far enough, kill them. Go back to pushing the lane. This is why Shaco is so incredibly dangerous.

Team Fights:

Sometimes you cannot split push. When this occurs, stick with your team. Every chance you get, put a box down. Do not stack them. It should look like an evenly spaced mine field. The spacing should be such that even if Annie drops Tibbers, she will only take out one box. You ALWAYS need something to run to, so does your team.

Shaco is not the strongest in a team fight. That said, he is not useless. Allow your initiator to cause a ruckus and then pick an enemy, generally a mage or a DPS champion. Deceive in behind, hit with your critical strike, drop a box, split with your R and go to town. You are tanky enough to survive, yet you can still do a LOT of damage. Your Black Cleaver and Wit’s End will be stacked immediately because of your clone. Your clone’s damage also life steals and gives you the hp. If the enemy doesn’t stop to pop the box, they get feared and take around 500 magic damage. If they do pop the box, they have to stop focusing you, hit the box, and go back to focusing you. That takes around at least a second, sometimes two. Your Deceive will hit for 200-450 depending on item set. Depending on your AS and your clone, that’s 2-4 hits. That’s 80 to 160 from Wit’s End, 150-250 a hit from your two attacks, 75% of that from your clones attacks. If the box goes off, they aren’t fighting back. If it doesn’t, they still aren’t fighting back, albeit for a smaller amount of time. If you have 200 damage, your Clone hits for 150. 2 hits of 350 total is 700 from physical damage, 160 from Wit’s, 400 from Deceive. 1260 damage from Deceive and 2 auto attacks from you and your clone. Not to mention your box having gone off, your E (300 damage nuke), attacks from behind while they focused the box, or any critical strikes if you grabbed an Atma’s early.

Not many of the champions you will be focusing can take that kind of hurt, especially when they are actually taking that level of hurt because of Armor Penetration and Armor Reduction.

Random Facts About Shaco:
-Hallucinate, his R, provides you with a moment of invulnerability when he splits. You can use this to dodge almost anything. Karthus’ ultimate is the easiest example. If you split while a projectile is in the air, it pops and doesn’t hit you. You can also use this to retarget towers to something else. I’ve dodged a Malphite’s Ultimate with it before. He raged. The timing has to be PERFECT though.

-He does more damage from behind. His skills do more damage from behind as well. Learn to plant boxes behind enemies so they have to turn to destroy them. Learn to position your clone behind enemies so they have to take damage from both sides. Try to always have something doing damage from behind.

-Deceive is EXTREMELY glitchy. Do not spam click movement commands when you are trying to Deceive because it can, and WILL, completely fizzle and leave you standing in the middle of where you don’t want to be.

-If you are trying to Deceive over a wall, make sure to actually walk up to the wall. Taking the time to get to the wall to actually Deceive over it will save your life. It’s better to Deceive over the wall with 250 hp left and live, than to try to Deceive over the wall with 500 hp, fail and then die.

-If you feel like WW or Malzahar is about to use his ultimate on you, drop a box in a position to be next to you when WW ults, or next to Malzahar when he ults. If you time it right, it either stops them from getting the ultimate off so you can deceive, or interrupts it about half a second into the ultimate, stopping the channel.

-Don’t waste your Deceive needlessly. Walk around the **** wall to get to the jungle creeps. Eventually you will die because you Deceived to get somewhere when it wasn’t necessary.

Any questions, comments, anything you feel I should add, let me know here or on the client.

Second to None

05-26-2011

Long guide is long. Still a good, well thought out, post. Shaco is a beast but since his skill cap is so high people either scream UP or OP depending on their own skill.

Ikaros Tenshi

05-26-2011

Too long to read, but im totally reading this! I love playing shaco : D
Imna try your guide whenever I play him (:

talenrok

05-26-2011

Yeah, very good guide. Very true to the current state of Shaco.
Especially everything he says about boxes and deceive.

Even though I never play AD or Jungle Shaco - I still was able to appreciate this guide.

Personally I prefer the glass cannon clown. With DFG as a my first item.
I don't stack my boxes too much (unless opponent keeps fall into my traps repeatedly).
But same as author of this guide trying to put them anywhere to keep people annoyed at all times.
Still figuring out how to manage my deceives so I could stay alive as much as possible to save my Mejai stacks.
Also using Flash as an alternate escape mechanism (not a joke!).

My minion kills is always terrible (can't really do anythin about it). So in this case my top priority is to have most positive KDR. With many assists also. Kill stealing may be a necessity, cuz of Mejai.

Most of the time I'm trying to stay away from big team fights, as if I'm playing ranged mage \ dps champion. Throwing my DFG and Shivs at the less resistant targets. Sending my clone into a mess before revealing my true self - for some good AoE damage. Takes time ofc, takes a big amount of control and not always pays off but still hell of a fun to play.

Oh well, got carried away with my thought. Anyway good to see a fellow Shaco with the right ideas of how to play him.

MoarYogurt

05-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by talenrok View Post
Yeah, very good guide. Very true to the current state of Shaco.
Especially everything he says about boxes and deceive.

Even though I never play AD or Jungle Shaco - I still was able to appreciate this guide.

Personally I prefer the glass cannon clown. With DFG as a my first item.
I don't stack my boxes too much (unless opponent keeps fall into my traps repeatedly).
But same as author of this guide trying to put them anywhere to keep people annoyed at all times.
Still figuring out how to manage my deceives so I could stay alive as much as possible to save my Mejai stacks.
Also using Flash as an alternate escape mechanism (not a joke!).

My minion kills is always terrible (can't really do anythin about it). So in this case my top priority is to have most positive KDR. With many assists also. Kill stealing may be a necessity, cuz of Mejai.

Most of the time I'm trying to stay away from big team fights, as if I'm playing ranged mage \ dps champion. Throwing my DFG and Shivs at the less resistant targets. Sending my clone into a mess before revealing my true self - for some good AoE damage. Takes time ofc, takes a big amount of control and not always pays off but still hell of a fun to play.

Oh well, got carried away with my thought. Anyway good to see a fellow Shaco with the right ideas of how to play him.
Thanks for the feed back. I never could make AP Shaco work for me. God knows I tried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikaros Tenshi View Post
Too long to read, but im totally reading this! I love playing shaco : D
Imna try your guide whenever I play him (:
Thanks for the feed back. Let me know how it goes for you.

TheAsianPlayboy

05-26-2011

read until i got to the masteries.

I think you're better off doing a offensive mastery build and being very adament that your team protect you. I hate to act like a jerk in game, but I think it's absolutely necessary so I will often spam "protect me" and ping the map like crazy so they come help.

Second to None

05-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAsianPlayboy View Post

I think you're better off doing a offensive mastery build and being very adament that your team protect you. I hate to act like a jerk in game, but I think it's absolutely necessary so I will often spam "protect me" and ping the map like crazy so they come help.
You need to finish the post then. He explains it quite well.

And frankly you expecting your team to protect is rather foolish. Maybe they should, but I just can't agree on that point.

MoarYogurt

05-26-2011

Quote:

Thanks for the feed back.

Did you know that 21 points into offense gives you 5% extra damage based only off of your base damage? Your base damage is around 110 at level 18. You are getting 5.05 damage per hit from Havoc at level 18.

6 Armor pen will not net you a kill while keeping you alive. Nor will you miss the kill because you have 6 less armor penetration. You WILL survive a gank into a minion wave if you are taking 4 less damage a hit from every individual minion. That's nearly half of a minion's damage at levels 3-5, when you don't have any items during your ganks.

The 4 AS from the tree is equaled by the 4 as in the defensive tree.

Taking 2% critical chance doesn't affect much honestly, especially with the now-normalized Critical Strike system. You can no longer get lucky, 2% chain criticals. This is covered by a green pot super late in the game anyway.

The only really strong part of the offensive tree for Shaco is 10% increased critical damage, which stacks additively with his Q, from what I understand. So at level 1, its 50% Critical Damage instead of 40%.

Compare that to 6 Armor, 6 MR, regeneration you will use all game, reduced minion damage, 48 HP, the same amount of AS from the offense tree and 4% damage reduction.

I feel more comfortable having to get another hit off to kill someone who I am already controlling with Lizard Buff and Two-Shiv and not having to worry about death than having to mind my minion waves when I gank and ensuring my team can be there to protect me in the early game.

Sometimes the boxes get popped no matter what you do.

TheAsianPlayboy

05-26-2011

Havoc is now off of total damage and not just base. If you still think it sucks, you could always do 20 into offense instead of 21. I read and understand your reasoning for 21 into defense. It's sounds logical, but I found that if you do regi's jungle setup, worst case scenario. Even if they pop your boxes, it doesn't hurt you enough where you must change your entire masteries.

Also someone who normally runs an offensive masteries will run flat hp quints so that does boost your early survivalbility.

But if you're happy with your build, then just go with it I suppose.

MoarYogurt

05-26-2011

Quote:
Havoc is now off of total damage and not just base. If you still think it sucks, you could always do 20 into offense instead of 21. I read and understand your reasoning for 21 into defense. It's sounds logical, but I found that if you do regi's jungle setup, worst case scenario. Even if they pop your boxes, it doesn't hurt you enough where you must change your entire masteries.

Also someone who normally runs an offensive masteries will run flat hp quints so that does boost your early survivalbility.

But if you're happy with your build, then just go with it I suppose.
Thanks for the update on Havoc.

Ran 21 in offense the other day on accident with the new mastery pages. I still did well, everything felt off and I felt as though I was exploding too quickly. Had to panic deceive a few times.

Playstyle I suppose. What's your main account? I'd like to check your stuff out.