[Guide] How to install custom skins

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Andhedrew

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-29-2011

Hey, I love visiting sites with custom skins to enjoy other peoples work. I found a skin that i liked but along with the usual Character skin and Particles there was one for Spells...Where does this file go to? I wanted to read the previous string to see if others may hav the same prob but theres so much! :P

Mulan Ashley

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-05-2011

do you guys haev malzahar?

321jeo123

Recruiter

02-05-2011

One question:
Whats Olaf normal skin?? I wanna get pentakill olaf

321jeo123

Recruiter

02-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben0it View Post
A lot of custom skins have been created by LoL players. You can find them on HeroesMod forum.

The only problem is the way people used to install those skins needed you to modify your heropak_client and make a backup to be able to patch the game (you had to backup every patch).

But now, you don't need backup anymore if you follow this tutorial!
You will be able to keep all your custom skins every patch without even modifying your files.

Here's the right way to install custom skins:

1. Download the skin (it will be called "Champion".dds)
2. Go to \Riot Games\League of Legends\game\DATA\
3. Make a new folder called "Characters"
4. In that folder, make a new folder with the name of the original skin of the champion
(you can find the orginal skin names in the list below)
5. In that folder, paste the "Champion.dds" skin

For example, a custom Ashe skin would go to:

\Riot Games\League of Legends\game\DATA\Characters\Bowmaster\

If you want to test it out, I put the Ashe skin I use in the attachments. Download the .pdf and rename the "Bowmaster_Clr.pdf" into "Bowmaster_Clr.dds". Then follow the instructions above.
note: The file is in .pdf because the forum doesn't accept .dds files, thats why you have to rename it.

Original Skin names:

Q&A

-Are you able to turn off the skin when you want?
You have to remove the .dds from the folder.

-If someone has a store bought skin, will the custom skin overwrite that skin with this method?
No, your custom skin will not overwrite a skin bought from the store because all skins have their own .dds files. For example, a custom Annie skin has to be named Annie.dds. If you want to overwrite the Goth Annie skin, your custom skin has to be named Annie2Black_Diffuse.dds.

-Can other players see my custom skin?
No, only you can see your custom skin, unless they installed the same custom skin too.

-I installed a custom skin for Annie, can I do the same for Tibber?
Yes! A custom skin for Tibber has to be named HogyoBear.dds, you have to create the folder "bear" in "DATA". \Riot Games\League of Legends\game\DATA\Characters\bear
p.s. Even if you use Goth Annie skin, you can install a custom skin for Tibber.
p.p.s. This is the one I use: Dark Panda by heureux

-How do you create your own custom skins?
-What programs do you need to create them?
The Skinning Start Up Kit by HappyNihil includes a PDF format Instruction guide and all the tools you need to make your very first skin!

Credits to BananaBoy and Najena
So whats olaf original skin? cant find it there?

18X Jake

02-08-2011

Can other people see your skins or is it like texmod where only you can see them?

Goth Skunk

02-08-2011

Only you, and other people with the EXACT SAME SKIN will see it in game.

18X Jake

02-08-2011

Oh okay so basically they must have the file in their folder as well to see it. Thanks

jumpandkill

02-13-2011

hey when i try this i go to riotgames>league of legends but in that folder all there is is "play league of legends, nothing else, anyone know the answer?

Iceforge

02-15-2011

So, uh, Mordekaiser's codename?

Koravel

02-15-2011

Um, when I go to C:/RiotGames/League of Legends there is no folder called game. The only folder in there is called RADS. I think this guide needs to be updated a bit. :P

In the meantime, where should I put custom skins now?