[Request] Developer API

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Petercantropus

05-24-2011

Please make a public API for retrieving all the fine details based around items and heroes, and user profiles with public accesible data.

We've requested this several times.
If this is made, we could easilly make web apps and smartphone apps that could keep themselves up to date and where you could do all kinds of queries munching the provided data.

Making an static XML or JSON file we can fetch with up to date information about items and champions shouldnt be hard to make, isnt it? just dont forget to update it on every patch release. The current cycle requires us to republish and ship our app to the app store/android marketplace on every League of legends patch.
If you provided this up to date XML or JSON files, our apps would be up to date and our end users (yours and ours) would benefit from it.

Also an apache endpoint we can GET or POST to query a user profile data with only public available information should also be easy to make. I am a webapp developer, I know its easy, just put cache this files with a day long cache expiration.

We aren't asking to be able to update anything on your servers from outside, just to query things.

Petercantropus

05-26-2011

bumpity bump

Petercantropus

05-27-2011

For the less tech savys will explain more on the matter:
A public API for retrieving all the fine details based around items and heroes, and user profiles with public accesible data.

An API its like a set of functions or standards used by programmers to connect to other services. In this case, I am requesting Riot to make a standard set of functions or access points so that we, the application programmers, can fetch up to date item and champion details, as well as public information of the user profiles (by public information I mean the one aproved by Riot to be freely accessible to third parties).

To give an idea of what could be done if this API was done by Riot, we could make web applications like the ever up to date wow armoury, make item build pages with always up to date item info or phone apps that would be able to query (list but not modify) your mastieries/runes/match history on the go.

So its a very nice win to everyone if this is done, it all depends on the flexibility and robustness of the API provided if it is ever done.

-EDIT:
Currently what application developers have to do is follow all the patch notes and do some research on every patch to update their apps/sites. And dont take vacations, etc, otherwise their apps/sites would go outdated quick.

Orphan Harvest

Recruiter

05-27-2011

I would like to see this too.

I have an Android app half-created because I'm not looking forward to manually updating the following:

• Champion changes
  • Champion additions
  • Item changes
  • Item changes
  • Ratio changes
  • Stat changes
  • Tool-tip changes
  • Description changes

That list can go on for a long time.

BUMPING FOR GREAT JUSTICE!

Pedro2912

05-28-2011

I agree with this request. I am developing a website for my team and i would like to add some information about the team members like the elo or the number of victory. It would be great if those information could be integrated and automatically updated with an API.

LiegeWaffles

05-29-2011

for marketing reasons, Riot probably don't want to give you an API through which
you can easily retrieve things like total number of players etc.
They like to keep that kind of info secret/exclusive for magazine interviews,
big news announcements etc. ;-P
(see Riot's reaction on threads of people trying to figure out the number of players
from the forum IDs etc...)

Orphan Harvest

Recruiter

05-29-2011

You realize that they don't have to include that in an API?

LiegeWaffles

05-29-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeeZy View Post
You realize that they don't have to include that in an API?
- Any API where you can't retrieve/use SummonerID would be silly.
- Finding the highest SummonerID in use should give you the number of players...

Petercantropus

06-14-2011

Not all the above needs to be included. At least give us something to start munching on!

Small Homer

06-21-2011

+1 here.