Extreme Matchmaking Fail

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fennel

04-25-2010

While I think the Elo rating system is nice, it doesn't take into consideration a number of aspects that are involved in the metagame, nor does it evaluate overall experience.

Let's take an example of this. Say that you're in a randomly chosen chess tournament and you're a relatively new player. You play with other people, maybe get lucky a few times, so then it matches you against someone who's on your Elo level who's, say, played several hundred more games than you have.

The Elo rating system says you'll be equal, but which is more the case? One has seen how repeated matches have unfolded, has played the game far more times, and generally knows about the tactics involved. They've had good streaks and bad, but the sheer volume of experience will weigh upon the veteran's side.

In LoL, this problem is worsened by the metagame aspect of the Mastery and Runebook systems, whereupon a person whos in their teens and can only afford Tier 2 runes in only a third of their book is pitted against someone who's potentially gotten Tier 3s in their entire thing. At their worst, Runes can be a boost in the beginning game, and at the worst it can be like having a seventh item slot filled with an item of your choosing at the beginning of the game.

Now, with the runes and mastery involved, it moves beyond a chess comparison and more towards golf: what would happen if you had experienced golfers have the same Elo rating system as beginning golfers, but permitted the experienced golfer to retain a stroke handicap on every hole.

Overall, I think there just needs to be a bracketing system. I'd be willing to wait an extra two minutes in the queue if it would find other players of my level range and Elo rating for me to go against, rather than just pitting me with whomever else is online. Maybe a 1-10 bracket, 10-20, 21-29, then 30s by themselves, at least for solo play. Premades should probably be bracketed with whomever's the top level in the group.

crayons

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-25-2010

In all honesty, there are a few things that HoN trumps LoL in. This is definitely one of the biggest issues with league. I don't understand the matchmaking system at all and with all these problems I'd expect it to be fixed by now since it has been going on for a while now. It would be nice if they would publicize ELO like in HoN where the ratings are all shown so you can see how good/bad someone is before playing with them. Would be nice if you could see ELOs during the waiting period so you could see if your playing with people around the same ELO or something. I guess I can't complain since the game is free, but I would like to see the matchmaking get fixed as soon as possible, it's kind of annoying playing with lvl 1s against a full team of 30s. But good job Riot I just wish that the matchmaking problems were fixed.

Lumby

04-25-2010

+ 1 for matchmaking fail. Just today it was 5/10/19/15/30 vs 30/30/24/26/30

I'll let you guess who won that one...

Matchmaking completely destroys any incentive for new players to play. Think about it, the reason new people come is to play with friends, so they queue up together. Now you have a few friends in queue, some upper 20s and some single digits and they are pretty much guaranteed to be paired up with a bunch of 30s simply because they are a premade. Now you just have a fail game that discourages new players from continuing.

Vindico Atrum

04-26-2010

YOU GOT SMURF DETECTED. NEW PLAYERS DO NOT WIN 6 GAMES STRAIGHT BEFORE THEIR FIRST LOSS.

MM works fine.

darklordlyn

04-27-2010

the mm is a seriously toatal EPIC fail

even though the gameplay is super fun ( better than runescape the matchmaking s=is horrible. i feel pity for the people who are up againts me. i am level 21 and i am being teamed up with 30s and my enemies are like 12, 13 14ish. this is just wrong riot, even though i had a winning streak, i still think this is wrong. the mm is very horrible and u need to change this very quickly, soon u guys will be losing A LOT of players due to this mm

Jwumanji

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

04-27-2010

match making is epic fail.

FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL.

FIX IT.

ITS NOT HARD. DONT PAIR HIGH LVLS VS LOWS.

Zim and Gir

09-23-2011

Matchmaking's biggest problem is that it matches horrible players with great players in order to reach some form of compensation, when what it should do is match horrible players WITH OTHER HORRIBLE PLAYERS.

You heard it. Make the baddies play with AND against other baddies. Let the good players that don't lag have games amongst themselves. Also, I'd appreciate it if I could invite a friend to this game without worrying that they'd never see a fair match. FIX THIS RIOT. FAIL FAIL FAIL

Zim and Gir

09-23-2011

Riot fails. Matchmaking matches ******s with good players when it should be matching good players with good players. Let the ******s have a ****ing special olympics fest with each other. I want good enemies and allies and i want your matchmaking system to stop being so full of fail.

Fail fail fail

Zim and Gir

09-23-2011

this forum is fail.