My Chat Sound Feedback.. Make it like this!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KingsRight

03-17-2010

Ever play "Okami"?

If not, then play it. epic game. The sounds in that game are so nice as well.

I like that there is now a chat sound but i dont like the sound choice. But when i sat there trying to think of sounds that i'd like to see tried.. i immediately thought of war3's chat sound and Okami's character voices..

both are very different but i think both are more comfortable to listen to.

War3's is a very brief, but full of deep base sound.

In Okami every time a character talks and you see text on screen their voices are a bunch of jibberish sounds.. but it's really cute how they do it.

men will make the jibberish in more manly tones than little creatures or women.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhfEbS8GFgM

watch this video as there is different characters talking in it.. it's a video of okami

sound isn't the best in the video due to youtube quality ruining it some but it should give you an idea of what i'm talking about

then if you have something like this.. add in the More Options section for the ESC settings of League of Legends the ability to choose "adult male" "adult female" "young male" "young female" for tinier voices.

and when you select one, the game will send to other allies in that voice tone. hehe

wouldn't that be awesome?

KingsRight

03-17-2010

Another idea is to have your chat sound like your character.. and since the character can't know what you are typing.. make it sound like a very brief bit of jibberish in their normal hero voice tone.. lol

could easily do that by copying out 0.3 seconds of audio from any of that hero's sound tracks and make it sound like a quick blip in their voice tone. lol or edit it and make it sound like jibberish.

this way people could be identified without looking at the names to know who is talking.

RiotJay

Associate Sound Designer

03-17-2010
1 of 2 Riot Posts

Hey KingsRight,

Thanks a ton for the feedback on the chat sound! While I too really like the audio in Okami and think it has a lot of character, that style of chat alert is just too drawn out and long for a competitive multiplayer game like ours. I will take a listen to Warcraft III's chat alerts though to see what is successful about theirs.

It is likely the chat sound will go through multiple iterations before we hit the perfect mix of function and style, so please keep the feedback coming.

KingsRight

03-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywatford View Post
Hey KingsRight,

Thanks a ton for the feedback on the chat sound! While I too really like the audio in Okami and think it has a lot of character, that style of chat alert is just too drawn out and long for a competitive multiplayer game like ours. I will take a listen to Warcraft III's chat alerts though to see what is successful about theirs.

It is likely the chat sound will go through multiple iterations before we hit the perfect mix of function and style, so please keep the feedback coming.
yea, i agree okami's can be drug out due to them talking the duration of the words typing out... but if you had a few samples, sped them up and lock them down to less than a second....

i think war3's chat sound is successful due to its very low bass that almost sounds like a throat sound from deep in a large man. its good because its attention-grabbing without being annoying. high pitch sounds are annoying when played briefly and often. low pitch = more comforting.

the existing sound might even turn out fine by simply changing it's pitch.. which can drastically change how it sounds that people wouldn't know it was the same

KingsRight

03-17-2010

if i made one and posted it and people liked it, would you use it? i got stienberg wavelab. i have mixed quite a few sounds with that

IamGrimm

03-17-2010

[QUOTE=KingsRight;852289
i think war3's chat sound is successful due to its very low bass that almost sounds like a throat sound from deep in a large man. its good because its attention-grabbing without being annoying. high pitch sounds are annoying when played briefly and often. low pitch = more comforting./QUOTE]

Oh yes. Definitely. Repeatedly hearing high pitched sounds causes headaches and I'm sure I'm not the only one experiencing that.

Bregan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-18-2010

yeah wc3 was a very bass sound. like just one note out of the deeper drums from champ select. a nice "thump". soft, yet bass and unobtrusive. actually now that i think about it, i think there was a micro-click sound before the thump. enough to grab your attention without actually being too noticable/disruptive, while the bass sound is the real alert.

RiotJay

Associate Sound Designer

03-18-2010
2 of 2 Riot Posts

Quick poll guys:

There are two different sounds, one for allied chat and one for all chat, which one do you guys prefer?

Thanks for your feedback, keep it coming!

KingsRight

03-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywatford View Post
Quick poll guys:

There are two different sounds, one for allied chat and one for all chat, which one do you guys prefer?

Thanks for your feedback, keep it coming!
Oh yeah, forgot about that. I've been just judging the allied chat sound.

i'll get back to you in that because i dont remember the sound for /all

meanwhile, here is the exported sound from war3 chat, unedited. not a recording either. exact wav file they use.

WAR3 CLICK <--- click to listen.

After listening the above file, i can see why it's so attention grabbing. it's sounds more like a UI sound compared to League of legends click.. which sounds more like a character, in game, is tapping a stick on something. Like when i first started playing in this patch i mostly played veiger and i must say that whenever i heard the chat sound i kept thinking "oh, what did they do; give veigar a new sound with tapping his stick"

so with war3 it sounds almost like someone snapping their fingers and with a bassy hum behind it.. sorta shadowing it. or highlighting it.. i guess is the best way i can explain.

Bregan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-18-2010

allied sound is better. but both sound too much like a scratch. more bass.