Best Tank Champions to Learn

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DrCordelius

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-03-2010

Honestly, Gragas is my favorite, with the caveat that you entirely ignore his barrel roll in favor of his other three abilities. Drunken rage gives you a huge % damage reduction, so you can focus on stacking HP with less armour and MR than you'd need for most other tanks. Body slam means that you can get away from just about everything, given that you're not a dumb and have taken cleanse, and his ult straight-up wins teamfights. He's also a great leviathan holder, since he can easily get assists with body slam and his ult and escape like nobody's business.

I will say that he's a great deal harder to use than most tanks: your Q is awful, so you're basically stuck with only three abilities--one of which is an ult that requires game after game to get right. But when you become a skillshotting beast, he's massively rewarding to play.

MrRumble

04-03-2010

hang on a moment, you're saying his 'run away' skill is awesome as a tank?

Xocolatl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRumble View Post
hang on a moment, you're saying his 'run away' skill is awesome as a tank?
You don't play tanks, do you?
As a tank, you're the first to start eating hits for your team. Guess who's usually the first one to be on death's door?
Being able to run away after you lose a lot of HP can help a lot. If you're lucky, the opponents will also chase you, which creates opening for your team to hunt them down afterward.
If you did a good job, the opponents would've already burned their CC on you (pub game), and your carries can eat them alive.
If you're in a more organized game, the opponents might not burn CCs on you--which means you won't be on the verge of death, and can continue to pound on them.

Thinscrispy

04-03-2010

Alistar is probably the most overpowered tank in this game. It makes you cry when he pops his ultimate and your fail team decides to focus him anyway. He is a nearly unstoppable force in a lane, and is great for making squishies run in fear of a pulverizing. I think he is the best at true tanking.

I actually prefer tanks that can, and will kill others like Singed, Malphite and Chogath. Mordekasier is a great pushing tank, as is Taric, and Amumu's CC is excellent in a teamfight. Nunu can also tank with some success.

But in the end, nothing says tryharding like an Alistar.

MrRumble

04-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xocolatl View Post
You don't play tanks, do you?
As a tank, you're the first to start eating hits for your team. Guess who's usually the first one to be on death's door?
Being able to run away after you lose a lot of HP can help a lot. If you're lucky, the opponents will also chase you, which creates opening for your team to hunt them down afterward.
If you did a good job, the opponents would've already burned their CC on you (pub game), and your carries can eat them alive.
If you're in a more organized game, the opponents might not burn CCs on you--which means you won't be on the verge of death, and can continue to pound on them.
I play tanks, if you want a decent opposition to react you have to do something other than run in the middle and do nothing.

top tier tanks force teams in to action

rammus rolls in taunt/ult
alistar groundsmash/headbutt
singed sprint in/toss

I know grag has his ult, but if the opposition is smart they'll keep their distance from grag. You have to hit enough damage or cause enough damage to force the other team to react other than fall back.

Eskimaux

04-03-2010

The more I play Singed and move up in Elo, the more I feel he's lackluster compared to the other tanks. Not a bad character in his own right, but I'm speaking relatively.

Taric and Alistar have great support abilities and have good, hard CC. Rammus can *force* you to attack him which shuts down casters and lets you focus them down, plus he's better at chasing with his powerball. Then he keeps people in one place, and he lives longer than Singed. Malphite gets AOE stun plus powerful burst during mid-game. Tank Blitz basically gets the same effect as a fling but he does it through walls from relative safety, then he gets the harder CC of a pop-up. Amumu gets AOE CC, which isn't super great against Merc treads but it's long enough for your team to do some heavy damage against the squishy. Cho gets a silence (oh baby) and unless you repeatedly kill him he gets unbelievably fat. Shen gets a taunt and can actually keep a teammate alive (GL with your ult, Karthus) and assist in ganks pretty nicely from anywhere on the map.

I love Singed and you can pull some stupid **** with him. Anybody trying to chase you has to constantly evaluate whether the damage is worth it, and if the team ignores you, somebody gets flung and dies. He also pushes towers decently with his ult and he can farm better than the other tanks, but he's just not as sturdy and he gets no hard CC. It hurts him a lot, and he really needs the right team backing him.

Of course, I've got a lot to learn (as most people who play with me can attest) so my opinion might not be worth taking. *shrug*

Bechermeister

04-03-2010

the more you play singed, less u should aim for pure ap build.
if you miss strong CC, get 40% cd reduction, fling cd 7, MA cd 8,4.

singed can be great offensive tank, and with good build can survive longer then alister and rammus + he is much better farmer so u usually got better items.
what makes singed valuable is that he can easily adapt his build to the game sitaution. U can mix ap and tank items, there are just so many items that are so good on singed .

best tanks for me : alister, singed, shen, taric, rammus

singed and rammus are the most fun tanks. I play singed all the time and saving IP for rammus now.

cho gath is good, but cho gath players are pussies, afraid of loosing stacks.

i dont like amumu, all he can do is inititate with stun+ultimate if you miss your chance he will become useless for the rest of the team fight + farming with him is hard... .

mordekaiser - can survive a lot, but he lacks a cc. He is very team dependant.