Best Tank Champions to Learn

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

OmniOblivion

03-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMcCoy View Post
I am currently level 23 and really enjoy playing tanks over anything else. I tend to play pretty aggressive as a tank and make opportunities for my teamates to destroy whoever is on the other team. Right now I mainly play Cho' Gath and Alistar. I'm looking at expanding my tank champions and learning some new ones. Which Tanks are the most effective in higher levels and most sought after. Which are hard to learn? Which are hard to learn but worth learning? By learning I mean becoming effective with and having enough of a knowledge of that you can compete in a high-ELO level.

Thanks!
I suck with tanks, but the most success I've had with tanks were with Taric and Amumu.

Taric is great supporting tank with his ranged stun and heals. I can play really aggressive with him and still keep myself alive.

Amumu's good against other tanks/high HP. His ult can bind an entire group and is a real table-turner in group fights.

Lagoon7

03-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfire393 View Post
There are two kinds of effective tanks: AOE Initiators and single-target initiators.

AOE Initiators generally have a way to rush into an area and apply crowd control to everyone in that area, giving your team open reign to chew through them in the few seconds it takes the CC to wear off. Examples of this are Malphite, Allistar, Amumu, Cho-Gath, Nunu (with flash), Rammus.

Single-target initiators are adept at singling out an enemy to be destroyed. Examples of this would be Singed, Blitzcrank, and Poppy.

Of these, Allistar, Amumu, Malphite, and Blitzcrank are in L0cust's top 3 tiers, and Rammus and Singed are in Tier 4.
Cho'gath was higher in his tier list (currently 5) until they nerfed his feast to do half if its not a kill, now that they switched it back (and improved it i think, no problem feasting poppy) he might move up.

But yeah, you pretty much covered it.

Tryntius

03-19-2010

Really? Nobody mentions Mundo? No tank hits as hard in the early game and only alistar has more survivability.

PackMan97

03-19-2010

I played a couple of games last night as Alistar and it is true, he's a beast of a tank. His healing is unbelievable, especially on minions, if he can get a full creep wave to a tomorrow, that tower is going down...and his ultimate is unbelievable. There could be an enemy or two at the tower, and I'd just charge in, pop the ultimate and tank the tower will my team took it down and then scoot while the idiots enemies were wondering why the tower wasn't hurting me! LOL!

Though, I must say you'd better get that tower down in 6s or it's gonna be painful!

Basilisk9466

03-19-2010

Alistar is a pain in the rear. He's kind of the perfect tank, in that he takes a lot of punishment and has CC coming out of his ears, but unfortunately does sweet FA damage. He's pretty much the only champ in the game I can think of that I will happily ignore in a fight.

Malphite is my favourite tank ATM. He's incredibly hard to harass in a lane due to the shield, and late game he kicks out a lot of damage as well as being a tough sonuva*****. His ult is pretty scary psychologically too - champs suddenly flying everywhere.

KaiTo1520

03-19-2010

High ELO...Well,,, on my tank lists, my best is DPS malph(naturally a tank)... or DPS sion(becomes a tank anyway)... DPS Malph better killer at group clashes but less tanky... while DPS Sion,,, better tank but much better at solo clash...

OctopusDropkick

03-19-2010

Alister is the best tank in the game.

Rammus is the most fun.

xahhfink6

03-19-2010

Gangplank

Kantofta

03-19-2010

I will agree on the part where Rammus is the most fun tank. And i also think Alistar is the best at what he does atm. But imo Rammus is not so far behind as ppl might think. Adapt Rammus in terms of items and you have resistance almost equal to alistars ulti (defensive ball curl) on extremlely short cooldown, aswell as quite possibly the best single target cc in game (taunt), and a powerfull aoe to crush towers + a stun/escape/chase (powerball). I see many ppl underestimating Rammus, even tho he is the only tank that a team cannot ignore in anyway, due to his cc potential on the heavy carry. just my 5 cents anyway...

Praetor Kamahl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-19-2010

Imagine Blitzcrank, but manly and not for babies. That's Singed. Buy him, love him, laugh at high-tier tanks as they get skeeted on and flung for free kills, while you regenerate 200+ health a second end game with 120 armor and 160 MR. Singed has easily the best combat ult in the game, it turns him into an "Ohgodrun" initiator, and anyone poor, dumb, slow, or Irish enough to get caught by you deserves what's coming. He farms great, he does huge DPS, and has huge health. The only drawback is that only the manliest of men can play him, and can't be afraid to get close, dirty, and blow white goo all over people. Are you manly?