Best Tank Champions to Learn

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ulminati

03-17-2010

If you like playing an aggressive tank, very few options beat the Urine-Guided Rocket of Doom, AKA: Singed. With Boots 3, Force of Nature, Spirit Visage and a Rod of Ages, you'll be running around the map with wild abandon, giggling madly as you fling opponents into your hungering teammates and spray goo to prevent chasing and fleeing. You'll lure people into chasing you when you're low on health, only to regenerate HP at incredible rates while your posion wears down. When they realize what you're doing, they'll flee. But you turn around and fling them back into the posion.

Singed is underused and unerappreciated. But he's a beastly tank in spite of his lack of hard CC

EchoRex

03-17-2010

Malphite, Alistar, Amumu are all superbly effective initiators for team fights.

Blitz and Singed are great gank tanks.

Cho'gath and Mordekaiser both have ridiculous lane presence and staying power.

Miandrital

03-17-2010

Tank annie seems like it could be fun, although I've never tried it

Galtath

03-17-2010

im going to have to agree with ulma about singed.

Singed isnt exactly a intiator but he is enough of a threat to be targetted. that and the fact he can support his team by using fling, such as if there is someone chasing them flinge m back, or goo em.

and partially intiate with fling if you have high movement speed.

although i have yet to see a tank nasus, ive always wanted to try it, as i am a fan of lifesteal.

i really suggest you get singed. he is hella fun to play. and will make you a better player imo if you learn all his ins and outs, as he is a somewhat unique tank.

only thing i want from him is a increased fling range though XD

Arturrian

03-17-2010

Tank Annie is... ridiculously good.

But on a more serious note, I see Alistar win the most games as a tank. He will destroy a lane if left alone in seconds flat, and he's got amazing survivability with his ult. Singed and Blitz are good for taking out their carry before fights are even initiated, because they can relocate an enemy into the middle of your team. In my personal opinion, these are the top 3; Alistar being high above the rest.

Other good options are Taric for his stun, heal, and armor buff; Mordekaiser or Cho'gath for their staying power (as mentioned by Echo7); Rammus for taunt; Malphite or Amumu for initiating. So depending on which of these roles you want to put yourself in, pick the tank that works for you.

Lagoon7

03-17-2010

If your good with cho' he can be a real asset as a tank.

He has an AoE popup + slow and an AoE silence, if used right he can totally gimp over the opposing team. Not to mention he has great staying power thanks to his passive and a grand total of 900 bonus hp with max feast stacks at lvl 3 feast.

EDIT: with the recent change to feast, you can really pack a punch. It no longer halves the dmg if it isnt an instant kill, so you can use this to take a chunk out of someone at the start of a fight and watch them get focus'd down by your kill-horny carries.

But lets see, gragas actually makes a good tank! Funny how that works. Reason why is that his W button gives 26% dmg reduction, not only that but he also has a rather good max HP gain per level. Grag's R button can make a 5v5 turn into a 5v2 with the other 3 being too far away to do anything, you can effectively split up their entire team. However he is pretty hard to use, and very bad when not used well... so be warned.

myroprax

03-17-2010

cho is under rated. knock up silence and a heavy dmg nuke who doesnt want that in a team fight

Lagoon7

03-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by myroprax View Post
cho is under rated. knock up silence and a heavy dmg nuke who doesnt want that in a team fight
I know right? Whenever i see these tank topics, what comes to my mind is Taric, Rammus, Alistar, Cho'Gath every time.

But rarely anyone ever mentions Cho...

PackMan97

03-17-2010

Are you pubbing or playing on premades?

Mordekaiser is a great for pubbing since he is a non-traditional tank that can also carry early to mid game and is a freaking blast to play because of his power and flexibility. Pretty much any build (except a stupid health build with Warmogs as the anchor) can work.

If you want to go straight tank MR (Visage/Force of Nature) and Armor (Sunfires, Warden, Thorn) you can and still do plenty of damage and get a ton of kills and be IMPOSSIBLE to pull down....

If you want you can get half of the above and go with an Aura build getting starks, aegis, frozen heart.

If you want you can melee DPS with half of the armor and the sword of the occult, guinsoo's and bloodthirster.

Mord's biggest problem is that other than DPS mord, your power starts to drop off late game as the real carries start to get powered up while your spell power stays the same. However, your staying power with your shield remains the same.

wildfire393

03-17-2010

There are two kinds of effective tanks: AOE Initiators and single-target initiators.

AOE Initiators generally have a way to rush into an area and apply crowd control to everyone in that area, giving your team open reign to chew through them in the few seconds it takes the CC to wear off. Examples of this are Malphite, Allistar, Amumu, Cho-Gath, Nunu (with flash), Rammus.

Single-target initiators are adept at singling out an enemy to be destroyed. Examples of this would be Singed, Blitzcrank, and Poppy.

Of these, Allistar, Amumu, Malphite, and Blitzcrank are in L0cust's top 3 tiers, and Rammus and Singed are in Tier 4.