Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

"New" Alistar Guide

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sir Longfellow

05-17-2011

I was just wondering, how do people build Alistar nowadays. People keep saying he's so much greater now and he's such a beast roaming, I'd just like to see details because I always thought he was a fun champ.

Alyzar

05-17-2011

http://unorthodoxlol.blogspot.com/2011/05/test.html

Sir Longfellow

05-18-2011

Thanks, that's pretty cool. Any other ones?

xyZero

05-18-2011

I know it's alistar free weak. Just please. DONT BUILD HIM AP, he is not a bruiser nor mage.

Or do it, but type in champion selection that you won't be doing tank Alistar.

King N0thing

05-18-2011

Full ap might not be the way to go but, you can still be tanky while having a good amount. Rylais is a great item on him (it works with his passive) and abyssal scepter provides an aura, mr and ap. Zhonya's hourglass would be a great item, but not if you are the only tank on the team (the active will get the enemies to attack your squishies and real casters instead of yourself). Cd reduction is very important.

I enjoy jungling/roaming with the new Alistar(atk spd marks, Arm pen quints, flat armor seals, flat cd glyphs), it's a lot of fun if you get some help at golem buff 1st level. I start with a point in heal. my items are usually cloth armor 5 health pots, or a dorans ring. I'm still learning how to play him this way, but most games I find it to be very effective. Even grabbing blue then going to lane is a good way to go. I'm still experimenting with the masteries, I go 9/0/21 now, but when i first started I went 9/21/0. I'm thinking that if I dropped some points into both utility and defense trees it would be a good balance. making sure to get the increased buff duration in utility.

Laning my starting items vary, most times I go red crystal and build it into heart of gold, or faerie charm, wait for 5 more gold then get cloth armor, or dorans ring. When I go back first I usually get my boots, a gold per 5 item (philo or hog), and an ap item( amp tomb, or blasting wand) which eventually will build into either rylais, abyssal or zhonyas. I try to stay in lane as long as I can, I max my heal first, as it is very mana efficient and keeps me and my teammate in lane. I make sure to have 1 point in each of my abilities at level 3 though.

A build I never tried yet but might be one to think about is spell vamp, would work great with his passive. Will of the ancients looks good, but I'm not so sure if an expensive item like hextech gunblade is worth it.

Arcko

05-19-2011

You would be surprised just how viable than AP Alistar is now-a-days. I did a handful of games last night with my premade as AP Ali and we utterly stomped (double pun intended) all over the enemy team.

Whether or not people are still in the mindset to not focus Alistar or something, he can provide insane CC and burst magic damage and often find himself the last person to be targeted in a team fight. You will find yourself ending games with kills in the double digits if can get his pattern down and try to use Trample to it's best ability. Not to mention how Trample effects towers. With high amounts of AP, you can spam Pulverize and the heal on towers or inhibs and watch them fall faster than if an AD Yi was whacking away them.

I start with a Doran's Ring and a 9/0/21 mastery with Magic Pen Reds, Flat AP Blues and Dodge Yellows. This gives me the sustainability to play heavy support to my lane mate. Who in this case was a Kennen, his stun was invaluable in getting us FB almost every game. I stay in lane and try to get to a 1,000 gold ASAP. Then immediately I grab Boots of Mobility, which will cause you to come out of the bushes like a freight train on a mission. This moves on to a Lichbane for damage and speed then a hat for huge damage. With these three items, unless they build super heavy magic res, you will find yourself getting lots of kills and melting lots of buildings. Plus, his ult is up so frequently, you will survive almost every fight.

Smellis

05-19-2011

Quote:
Arcko:
You would be surprised just how viable than AP Alistar is now-a-days. I did a handful of games last night with my premade as AP Ali and we utterly stomped (double pun intended) all over the enemy team.

Whether or not people are still in the mindset to not focus Alistar or something, he can provide insane CC and burst magic damage and often find himself the last person to be targeted in a team fight. You will find yourself ending games with kills in the double digits if can get his pattern down and try to use Trample to it's best ability. Not to mention how Trample effects towers. With high amounts of AP, you can spam Pulverize and the heal on towers or inhibs and watch them fall faster than if an AD Yi was whacking away them.

I start with a Doran's Ring and a 9/0/21 mastery with Magic Pen Reds, Flat AP Blues and Dodge Yellows. This gives me the sustainability to play heavy support to my lane mate. Who in this case was a Kennen, his stun was invaluable in getting us FB almost every game. I stay in lane and try to get to a 1,000 gold ASAP. Then immediately I grab Boots of Mobility, which will cause you to come out of the bushes like a freight train on a mission. This moves on to a Lichbane for damage and speed then a hat for huge damage. With these three items, unless they build super heavy magic res, you will find yourself getting lots of kills and melting lots of buildings. Plus, his ult is up so frequently, you will survive almost every fight.

In a alistar vs alistar game tank alistar will prove much more useful than ap to his team. Tank alistar generally has lower cool downs and can stay in the enemy's face MUCH longer and cause a lot of panic and mistakes for the enemy team. Not to say that AP alistar is bad, but in terms of winning a team fight Tank is gonna be more effective. Kinda like ap gragas/tank gragas

Arcko

05-19-2011

Quote:
Smellis:
In a alistar vs alistar game tank alistar will prove much more useful than ap to his team. Tank alistar generally has lower cool downs and can stay in the enemy's face MUCH longer and cause a lot of panic and mistakes for the enemy team. Not to say that AP alistar is bad, but in terms of winning a team fight Tank is gonna be more effective. Kinda like ap gragas/tank gragas

A matter of personal preference then I suppose. No doubt that a Tank Ali will outlast AP Ali by a long shot, but I have found that once the enemy team gets it in their head that I will kill them if they are alone then the intimidation factor causes a lot of muck on it's own and causes lots of headless chicken running.

Plus my team tends to run high burst, if the team fight has lasted longer than it takes for two rounds of CC. Then either we have pulled out, they all died or we all died. Also one-shotting wraith camp and whole creep waves with Pulverize is amazing for pushing and to satiate my greed.

I suppose in a way, it's a lot like playing Singed with a bull mask over your head.

Primanocte

05-19-2011

AP Alistar is frustrating to play with. He's not tanky enough to survive long in fights and help the team with his directional CC, but he has enough AP to get killing blows and leach gold from carries. Basically he is just a drain on the team. At least that has been my experience. If you're going to build him AP please tell your team at champ select so they can plan accordingly.

Master Moirich

05-20-2011

I play AP Alistar and it has always proven to be more effective for my team than tank alistar. A tank build makes you useless, as people tend to not focus you anyway, especially when the ult is popped.

I usually build sheen 1st, then boots of speed, then work towards Moriello's Evil Tome. Then deathfire (or finish boots of mobility depending on how the game is going. ie if i will roam to help gank, or need to farm a lane solo i will start the DFG). If i find the other team is ap heavy, i will get the Abysal Spectre or finish the Lichbane, and then do the other of these two next. A rabadons. And then one more tanky type item to ensure survivability. Sometimes its a Zhonyas for armor, but i really keep the option open and tend to change my build based on my team comp and enemy team comp. (ie Sometimes i use a void staff too if the other team is tank heavy)

So:
Sheen
Boots of speed
Moriellos Evil Tome
Boots ---> Boots of Mobility
DFG
Sheen ----> Lichbane
Rabadons (skip this is u really need some tankiness but i use it)
Abysal Spectre/Zhonyas or other Hard tank item like Guardian Angel

Masteries i go 9/0/21 with CDR and regens masteries.
Runes, currently i am trying Armor Seals, Magic Pen Marks, Magic Resis Glyphs, and Armor pen quints (they are the only ones i have, and when i get enough IP for magic pen quints i will likely switch )to those)