Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS


Around 1000~ ELO, trying Janna to raise me up?

12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

S B

Senior Member

05-17-2011

Hey what's up everyone, I've recently gotten into Janna and I really do like her as a champ (my second support champ...a type I hardly play). So I'm looking to use Janna to move up in Solo Queue ranked. Any tips/advice?

My usual build goes like:

Dorans ring
Mejais
Boots - Mercs or CDR boots
Aegis
Glacial Shroud or Banshees
Guardian Angel
Sell Dorans ring for the AP hat


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mıcro User

Senior Member

05-17-2011

Dont use janna until you increase


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

poo seller

Junior Member

05-17-2011

I think playing Janna solo queue is kinda risky sometimes because you could be placed with really good people... or people who are so bad that you can't even support them -- and then you can't even carry your team. But I don't really know what tips/advice you could use, since there is no real difference in game play between ranked and normal games. And Janna's builds are versatile anyway, so no /one/ build is gonna be /the/ build. All I would say is don't be scared of being more of a tank than an AP champ if your team needs it - but your only AP item is the hat so this doesn't need to be said really. A good alternative to the hat is rylai's - as it will back up your MR and AR with some health as well as give your aoes a nice slow.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

sefy98

Senior Member

05-17-2011

Make sure to never pick her if someone else goes support... 2 support make it almost impossible to win. I usually want to rage when i see 2 support on my team.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

S B

Senior Member

05-17-2011

Quote:
poo seller:
I think playing Janna solo queue is kinda risky sometimes because you could be placed with really good people... or people who are so bad that you can't even support them -- and then you can't even carry your team. But I don't really know what tips/advice you could use, since there is no real difference in game play between ranked and normal games. And Janna's builds are versatile anyway, so no /one/ build is gonna be /the/ build. All I would say is don't be scared of being more of a tank than an AP champ if your team needs it - but your only AP item is the hat so this doesn't need to be said really. A good alternative to the hat is rylai's - as it will back up your MR and AR with some health as well as give your aoes a nice slow.


Yea I've already had one game where although I do well, we end up losing, I went 8/4/20 (I'm not sure how I got that many kills lol) and we still ended up losing. I usually take Mejais because I'm racking up the assists. Rylais sounds like a great idea, but how do I know when to go more AP ish than tank? I feel with Rylais alone like my heal doesn't heal enough...is it just me? But the slow is really sounding good with my tornado.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

S B

Senior Member

05-17-2011

Quote:
sefy98:
Make sure to never pick her if someone else goes support... 2 support make it almost impossible to win. I usually want to rage when i see 2 support on my team.


Oh yea that too. I try to communicate with my team in the champ select lobby but sometimes you get those teams where no one talks.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cobra4Prez

Member

05-17-2011

janna is mostly a used as a counter pick to aoe heavy teams or to babysit a ranged ad carry bot lane. beyond those roles she is outclassed by other supports.
janna isn't a farm reliant champ, gale is useful for knockup, zephyr for slow, shield for doing dmg(not blocking it), ulti for lots of thing.
you're role in lane is to try and zone out/harass your opponents so that your lane mate can farm easily.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Enjuine

Senior Member

05-17-2011

I wouldnt use Janna if you want to carry yourself out of low elo. The lower you go, the less having a support helps, I find. Usually a second tank or offtank with some utility is better than a dedicated support char like Janna.

She is a fun champ and an effective one at high level play, but at low elo the better champs are the ones that are good gankers and can punish people for making mistakes, as well as carry later in the game are the ones you can carry yourself out with. Eve, Noc, Xin, TF, etc fit that. Bonus points if you can jungle them.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

poo seller

Junior Member

05-18-2011

Quote:
S B:
Yea I've already had one game where although I do well, we end up losing, I went 8/4/20 (I'm not sure how I got that many kills lol) and we still ended up losing. I usually take Mejais because I'm racking up the assists. Rylais sounds like a great idea, but how do I know when to go more AP ish than tank? I feel with Rylais alone like my heal doesn't heal enough...is it just me? But the slow is really sounding good with my tornado.


Make a judgement based on your team composition and how well you are going in kills and turrets. Janna's main role isn't to heal - it's her insane CC that really saves people. I usually don't even keep her ult up for its full duration unless they really could use the heal for pushing.

imo, AP is a luxury for Janna if your enemy is competent (and even then I would only get AP near the middle or end of the game), but again everyone is going to feel differently about that and not everyone shares my play style. In other words, get AP if you can afford to lose extra survivability (extra survivability means staying in the fight longer, soaking up more damage, which ultimately means getting more CC off.)

If you want a champ whose heals are more reliable and more primary to their role, soraka or taric are much better choices.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Welding

Senior Member

05-21-2011

I wouldnt play support champs at this elo unless you're duo queueing with someone you can trust to play a great carry. I've lost a game as sona at ~1300 elo range because of my team not being able to do their tank and dps roles correctly. sucks because I played a perfect game too. (4/0/19) Ever since then I vowed not to play supports until I get to a higher elo.

On a side note, I've played a ranked game with two supports on each team (we had taric and ali while they had zilean and sona). we ended up winning around the 45min mark. It was a strange game since we straight up just lost a 5v5 teamfight right before it, but after it all happened the minions took down a bunch of turrets.


12