Feature Request: New ping

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

puppy match

06-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elan Tedronai View Post
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=752169

A lot of times pings can be ambiguous. Did someone just ping that guy running down river to let me know to back up or did he ping him to indicate we should surprise buttsex him? Riot should implement a second ping so we can have an offensive ping and a defensive ping. Make it play a different sound. That way it would be so much easier to communicate your intent when it comes to pinging locations and champions.

I realize there are context clues when it comes to pings. If a teammate is running towards someone and pinging them then it's pretty clear it's an offensive ping. But if there were two pings each with a distinct audible sound, it would make the decision to go forwards or backwards much closer to real time without having to process sometimes ambiguous map data.
I am actually neutral on this idea, mainly cuz I find pinging is good enough.
I mean if I ping and typed "care"...that means better watch out
I ping a lane and typed "MIA"...i suspect ppl understand wat i mean...
I ping river and type "gank"...very straight forward as well

worst case was when I tried to type something fast while in the heat of fight...i usually just cut off the word early...(care -> car, mia -> mai or mi, gank -> ga)

Megolantix

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppy match View Post
I am actually neutral on this idea, mainly cuz I find pinging is good enough.
I mean if I ping and typed "care"...that means better watch out
I ping a lane and typed "MIA"...i suspect ppl understand wat i mean...
I ping river and type "gank"...very straight forward as well

worst case was when I tried to type something fast while in the heat of fight...i usually just cut off the word early...(care -> car, mia -> mai or mi, gank -> ga)
Why would you be neutral on this idea? You clearly haven't played many online games if you think a chat system is a solid way of communicating with your team mates. There have been countless times were I didn't read chat, because I was distracted by something else going on, such as avoiding being harassed in lane or just simply to distracted from things outside of the game.

Also, what if people don't know what you said in chat applies to your ping because there's two pings going on. These types of problems are what occur when you are only able to communicate with one ping and chat.

Please just add a second ping, it's not that big of a deal. I have no idea why ANYONE would be neutral on this, it really boggles my mind. There's no downside to it.. Come on.

puppy match

06-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peroxisome View Post
Why would you be neutral on this idea? You clearly haven't played many online games if you think a chat system is a solid way of communicating with your team mates. There have been countless times were I didn't read chat, because I was distracted by something else going on, such as avoiding being harassed in lane or just simply to distracted from things outside of the game.

Also, what if people don't know what you said in chat applies to your ping because there's two pings going on. These types of problems are what occur when you are only able to communicate with one ping and chat.

Please just add a second ping, it's not that big of a deal. I have no idea why ANYONE would be neutral on this, it really boggles my mind. There's no downside to it.. Come on.
HAHA, funny...but I am somewhat happy to read your comment.
"You clearly haven't played many online games"
My friends literally told me to get a life cuz I spend too much time playing online games.
(they are good friends, just don't want me to have unbalanced life style)
I gotta show them this~~ HAHA

anywayz~
the reason I said I am neutral is that I HAVE experienced the times where I didn't check chat log. BUT when I think over that situation afterwards, I was totally at fault.
Teammate have stated "MIA", "gank", "care"...but I missed it.
In my opinion, those three words don't take long to read.
The amount of time to quick glance at chat log to pick up those words is almost identical to the amount of time to quick glance at mini map to pick up the pings.

IF you argue that ping sound would give you an edge of not looking at the map...
think about the situation where your teammate is pinging for ANOTHER teammate...not you
and cuz you didn't look at the mini map...you act on the ping and missed a kill?

HOWEVER, you are correct in that scenario, where two pings occur at the same time.
No argument there.
BUT those three quick words...should be self-explanatory if you have played this type of games long enough...
(again, this is an assumption...but I find it legit)

NOW, back to my neutral POV.
I can see the pros of having the second ping, and I can somewhat imagine how "simple" it would be to implement it...but I don't see it making or breaking the game.

TehBrettster

06-01-2011

Singed

SPEKTR1986

06-01-2011

SHIFT+mouse click - offense (attack, gather to team fight) - red color
CTRL+mouse click - defense (care, back, help) - green color
ALT+mouse click - just ping (go there, come to me) - blue color

The Jawman

06-01-2011

Good ideas, each person on the team should have a different ping color so you can weed out the spammer in the group. Also all ping actions should have a summoner name attached like when they ping an actual champ or turret.

Megolantix

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppy match View Post
anywayz~
the reason I said I am neutral is that I HAVE experienced the times where I didn't check chat log. BUT when I think over that situation afterwards, I was totally at fault.
The reason why people want this implemented is so that doesn't happen..................

puppy match

06-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peroxisome View Post
The reason why people want this implemented is so that doesn't happen..................
Honestly, why are you arguing with me when I am standing on neutral POV.
And EVEN if pings were properly implemented as you request, I asure you that other issue will rise up regarding communication.
ALSO, what is the time consumption difference between glancing over chat log to pick up "mia/gank/care" VS glancing over mini map and see the ping?
If you are gettnig caughed up with the lane issue, what makes you think you can pick up the pings?
I bet you have been in situation where your teammates ignored pings as well...and they then tell you "ops, I totally missed it"...

ANYWAYZ, implement this or not won't make or break the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jawman View Post
Good ideas, each person on the team should have a different ping color so you can weed out the spammer in the group. Also all ping actions should have a summoner name attached like when they ping an actual champ or turret.
THIS IDEA is awesome~ color code the pings...kinda reminds me of Star Craft... good concept to adapt tho~