Feature Request: New ping

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Elan Tedronai

05-16-2011

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=752169

A lot of times pings can be ambiguous. Did someone just ping that guy running down river to let me know to back up or did he ping him to indicate we should surprise buttsex him? Riot should implement a second ping so we can have an offensive ping and a defensive ping. Make it play a different sound. That way it would be so much easier to communicate your intent when it comes to pinging locations and champions.

I realize there are context clues when it comes to pings. If a teammate is running towards someone and pinging them then it's pretty clear it's an offensive ping. But if there were two pings each with a distinct audible sound, it would make the decision to go forwards or backwards much closer to real time without having to process sometimes ambiguous map data.

PlasmaWafflez

05-16-2011

Solid idea

MysteltainSensei

05-18-2011

also...post who pinged, there are some idiots who spam pings and it annoys the hell out of me...

afkbotextreme

05-18-2011

Solid Idea

Brahms

05-21-2011

I like this idea. Would there be a way to implement a click-and drag ping to draw an arrow? No more pinging 4 times down the river to indicate incoming champs.

Dlld0zer

05-22-2011

Solid idea

DaejinTye

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-22-2011

Ya, pings are good, when used right. To have them always used correctly, a total of 4 pings could be used. The ones we have right now are:

1) Attack this summoner!
2) This is a point of interest!

I think we need to scrap #2, give a slight change to #1, and add 3 more to perfect the system. (Assuming we can all get used to using 4 pings. I know I'd **** it up on many accounts because I supposedly hit R everytime I mean to hit E............... **** it.) So it would look like this:

1: Attack Here. (Also points out enemy summoner/turret/inhibitor when pinged on.)
2: Defend here. (Also points out summoner/turret/inhibitor when pinged on.)
3: MIA + CHAT BOX: Missing in action.
4: Care + CHATBOX: Care. (Also points out Summoner when pinged on.)

These 4 pings take care of any and all situations, including the one mentioned in the original post. The guy running down the river can be pinged with 2-3 ideas in mind:

1: Attack that guy.
2: Care of this guy headed your way.
(And a sorta iffy) 3: Defend yourself and back off.

Really, it would be great to have the options, but it'd all come down to getting used to them. The fact remains though still, that most of the time, Pings are simply used to draw attention to the area, not to communicate a plan. Chat your plan, then ping where/who/what/when you want the plan to be executed.

Tarogato

05-23-2011

I think it's simple enough with

Offensive Ping sound and colour
Defensive Ping sound and colour
+ drag arrow can be applied to either of those.
+ chat indication, "SummonerName pinged.", if ping wasn't on a specific target.

Solid idea, imo.

Cigarelephant

05-26-2011

Solid Idea.

sounds pretty sweet

puppy match

06-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daejin View Post
Ya, pings are good, when used right. To have them always used correctly, a total of 4 pings could be used. The ones we have right now are:

1) Attack this summoner!
2) This is a point of interest!

I think we need to scrap #2, give a slight change to #1, and add 3 more to perfect the system. (Assuming we can all get used to using 4 pings. I know I'd **** it up on many accounts because I supposedly hit R everytime I mean to hit E............... **** it.) So it would look like this:

1: Attack Here. (Also points out enemy summoner/turret/inhibitor when pinged on.)
2: Defend here. (Also points out summoner/turret/inhibitor when pinged on.)
3: MIA + CHAT BOX: Missing in action.
4: Care + CHATBOX: Care. (Also points out Summoner when pinged on.)

These 4 pings take care of any and all situations, including the one mentioned in the original post. The guy running down the river can be pinged with 2-3 ideas in mind:

1: Attack that guy.
2: Care of this guy headed your way.
(And a sorta iffy) 3: Defend yourself and back off.

Really, it would be great to have the options, but it'd all come down to getting used to them. The fact remains though still, that most of the time, Pings are simply used to draw attention to the area, not to communicate a plan. Chat your plan, then ping where/who/what/when you want the plan to be executed.
I am just curious...which keys do you have in mind as the "hotkey"...
Q,W,E,R are used for champ skill.
1~6 are used for unique active from items
D,F are summoner spells
A for auto atk...
space bar for centering champ

all i can think of is a combination of keys...which need careful mapping just so people don't miss press the combination and trigger something else like champ ult instead.
(example, offensive ping = ALT + R + mouse clip on mini map...but I missed clicked my ALT...and my R triggered instead...)

Z,X,C,V <--- are these in use?? don't recall...but i find them hard to use with the current key layout.