Rising IP Costs and You: A Visual Guide

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

A bouncy Furret

Senior Member

05-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyboy View Post
Oh I'm sorry god of all posts that I did not get your approval.

I don't have limitless money but I do have a brain with knowledge of why things happen in the outside world. It seems like not everyone does.

And I already address the issue with OP. You must have not read the whole thread.
Community leaves --> Riot dies.

6300 champions are released --> Members of the community leave.

DotA 2 is released --> A chunk of members of the community leave, some return but most will not.

Riot releases cheaper champions --> Members of the community rejoice and the community grows.

Riot has competition. And the way their game is based soon you may as well just fork out $30 for HoN or $50-90 (lol Valve) for DotA 2.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Journeyboy

Senior Member

05-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero8888 View Post
I've spent over $100 on RP, it's not that I'm complaining that "I'm not getting what I deserve" but it's that we were promised champions released on ALL IP Tiers. I love Riot as a company, and I will continue to support it, but that's not what this is about anyways.

As much as Riot listens and cares about it's playerbase, most of us paying members feel like it's a kick in void to be promised things over and over, just to get kicked a little harder every two weeks.
I love Riot too, but Riot is growing. Growing = more money. Sad fact but I want Riot to be big so they don't have all the problems of a small business like a small production budget and a half ass content because of a lack of Q&A. BTW their content is coming out fast but they're holding out for season 2 to battle Dota 2.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Uccisore

Senior Member

05-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshtomp View Post
Community leaves --> Riot dies.

6300 champions are released --> Members of the community leave.

DotA 2 is released --> A chunk of members of the community leave, some return but most will not.

Riot releases cheaper champions --> Members of the community rejoice and the community grows.

Riot has competition. And the way their game is based soon you may as well just fork out $30 for HoN or $50-90 (lol Valve) for DotA 2.
Yes, except you're dealing with a complete fantasy land of made up numbers and bull****. There's no reason to actually believe more people are quitting the game than joining, or that the people who are quitting the game are doing so because champions cost too much imaginary money, or that a reduction (or leveling) in champ costs wouldn't hurt Riot's bottom line more than it helps it. You're just pretending all of that stuff would go the way you want it to because u mad and you want your free **** easier.

It's entirely possible that releasing champs at 6300 has made no negative impact on Riot's playerbase at all, while increasing profits substantially. It's also possible that they needed this increase in profits because of all the hiring and expanding we all know they are doing. You don't know jack **** about anything, stop coming off like you do.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Journeyboy

Senior Member

05-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshtomp View Post
Community leaves --> Riot dies.

6300 champions are released --> Members of the community leave.

DotA 2 is released --> A chunk of members of the community leave, some return but most will not.

Riot releases cheaper champions --> Members of the community rejoice and the community grows.

Riot has competition. And the way their game is based soon you may as well just fork out $30 for HoN or $50-90 (lol Valve) for DotA 2.
Thank you for a logical post (not sarcasm).

Your HoN arguement would be true except that LoL is claimed to be a better game. And LoL allows for F2P even if it is hard to get the content from F2P. For example the only reason I did not try HoN is because of the 30$ entrance fee.

We will have to wait and see for Dota 2. Could be another flop with major hype like Halo 2.

P.S. Just letting you know, anyone over 18 doesn't care about upvotes or downvotes. Both get your post attention. I.E. some trolls are highly famous on this board. Though I am not claiming to be a troll.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

A bouncy Furret

Senior Member

05-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uccisore View Post
Yes, except you're dealing with a complete fantasy land of made up numbers and bull****. There's no reason to actually believe more people are quitting the game than joining, or that the people who are quitting the game are doing so because champions cost too much imaginary money, or that a reduction (or leveling) in champ costs wouldn't hurt Riot's bottom line more than it helps it. You're just pretending all of that stuff would go the way you want it to because u mad and you want your free **** easier.

It's entirely possible that releasing champs at 6300 has made no negative impact on Riot's playerbase at all, while increasing profits substantially. It's also possible that they needed this increase in profits because of all the hiring and expanding we all know they are doing. You don't know jack **** about anything, stop coming off like you do.
While true.

I do have friends who quit the game at low levels. For 2 reasons.

1: They got bored of the game easily because the champions they took interest in obtaining were too expensive and time consuming to get. They had no motivation to spend $20-30 to get said champions because they would still need runes for them. They also realized their money would be better spent on a game like HoN.

2: The community. Verrrryy unforgiving of mistakes and they just got tired of putting up with the constant fights. Ignoring it or getting a "thicker skin" does not help.

While I do not know Riot's numbers I do use these forums a lot. I know how the general community takes things like 5 6300's released in a row. I also know how grateful they are for cheaper champions.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Journeyboy

Senior Member

05-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshtomp View Post
While true.

I do have friends who quit the game at low levels. For 2 reasons.

1: They got bored of the game easily because the champions they took interest in obtaining were too expensive and time consuming to get. They had no motivation to spend $20-30 to get said champions because they would still need runes for them. They also realized their money would be better spent on a game like HoN.

2: The community. Verrrryy unforgiving of mistakes and they just got tired of putting up with the constant fights. Ignoring it or getting a "thicker skin" does not help.

While I do not know Riot's numbers I do use these forums a lot. I know how the general community takes things like 5 6300's released in a row. I also know how grateful they are for cheaper champions.
1. Every rpg type game is like this (either time or money). LoL choice to go that route. They sound like they prefer halo or CoD

2. All games that have gameplay dependent on every player performing has a community like this.

Small team based games especially.

Example of large team games where no one cares, Halo, Cod, Bf2. Basically any game where you can have a good score independent of your team.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

A bouncy Furret

Senior Member

05-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyboy View Post
Thank you for a logical post (not sarcasm).

Your HoN arguement would be true except that LoL is claimed to be a better game. And LoL allows for F2P even if it is hard to get the content from F2P. For example the only reason I did not try HoN is because of the 30$ entrance fee.

We will have to wait and see for Dota 2. Could be another flop with major hype like Halo 2.

P.S. Just letting you know, anyone over 18 doesn't care about upvotes or downvotes. Both get your post attention. I.E. some trolls are highly famous on this board. Though I am not claiming to be a troll.
This is true.

I got HoN recently when they had the $10 account sales. It's... a huge change of pace from LoL. I can see the benefits it has over LoL but the learning curve is crazy. Remember how you had to learn to not over extend or Twitch will get you?

Well in HoN you need to learn to not hug your turret and not zone yourself from the crazy witch lady who does 90% of your hp with a spell and an auto attack at level 1 (slight over exaggeration but you get my point). It's a major turn off to new players. But in LoL not having access to all champions makes it hard to get a foot hold in the game. I was absolutely awful at this game until I unlocked Rammus (my 3rd champion). I couldn't understand how Yi was blowing me up in 2 seconds as Nunu or Tristana (although I used to stack Sunfires on Nunu). To make it even worse half the enemies I vs'd were smurfs who would constantly remind me how bad I was at the game and I should kill myself and uninstall.

Both games have major turn offs but with HoN it's easier to practice to find the champion you like.

I don't think DotA 2 will be a flop. People still play DotA on that out dated WC3 engine. Valve is replicating DotA so I presume they will not change much, if not anything.

And I agree with your PS statement.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

A bouncy Furret

Senior Member

05-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyboy View Post
1. Every rpg type game is like this (either time or money). LoL choice to go that route. They sound like they prefer halo or CoD

2. All games that have gameplay dependent on every player performing has a community like this.

Small team based games especially.

Example of large team games where no one cares, Halo, Cod, Bf2. Basically any game where you can have a good score independent of your team.
Pretty much (although they do not like FPS games).

And yeah that is true but that could be curbed by Riot being stricter on banning. But that's a different topic.

Edit: We've kind of detracted from what this post is actually about.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Uccisore

Senior Member

05-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshtomp View Post
While true.

I do have friends who quit the game at low levels. For 2 reasons.

1: They got bored of the game easily because the champions they took interest in obtaining were too expensive and time consuming to get. They had no motivation to spend $20-30 to get said champions because they would still need runes for them. They also realized their money would be better spent on a game like HoN.

2: The community. Verrrryy unforgiving of mistakes and they just got tired of putting up with the constant fights. Ignoring it or getting a "thicker skin" does not help.

While I do not know Riot's numbers I do use these forums a lot. I know how the general community takes things like 5 6300's released in a row. I also know how grateful they are for cheaper champions.
Have we ever even had 5 6300's in a row? Anyway, to your point, all you know is what people SAY. What they do might be completely different. For example, there's lots of people complaining about the cost of Vayne, and yet there's two of her in every ****ed game I play. A lot of people talked about how great it would be to get a cheaper champ, but how often do you see Karma?
And let's not forget, Riot sees the forums too. They are making their decisions based on the things we say here, the things we do in the actual game, and tons of data that you and I have no access to.
You can say "I want more cheap **** because everybody naturally wants more cheap ****," and at least that makes sense, if not a little selfish. But when you start to argue that bad things will happen to Riot if they don't give you what you want, well...you just don't know what you're talking about.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

uCynical

Senior Member

05-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshtomp View Post
While true.

I do have friends who quit the game at low levels. For 2 reasons.

1: They got bored of the game easily because the champions they took interest in obtaining were too expensive and time consuming to get. They had no motivation to spend $20-30 to get said champions because they would still need runes for them. They also realized their money would be better spent on a game like HoN.

2: The community. Verrrryy unforgiving of mistakes and they just got tired of putting up with the constant fights. Ignoring it or getting a "thicker skin" does not help.

While I do not know Riot's numbers I do use these forums a lot. I know how the general community takes things like 5 6300's released in a row. I also know how grateful they are for cheaper champions.
If you think it's bad here, you haven't been playing DoTA or HoN.