How to counter Vayne?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Krimblast

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-12-2011

Simple, normal question. How to counter her in laning phase, and with what item build? I know that in teamfights focus her and cc her as much as u can, but what items and what to do during laning phase? Cos i cant do well vs her up to now,,,

razor345

05-12-2011

if she has her silver tipped arrows try as hard as u can to not get hit by her 3 times in a row. and try to stay away from walls so she cant do the pinning shot, basic attack, roll attack+true damage combo

ForeverLaxx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-12-2011

Yes, we needed another thread about this.

Short answer: don't run from her.

Long answer: you won't read this one anyway.

Kyile

05-12-2011

I play Vayne as well as other toons.

I've rolled my share of Champs.

Burst - Stunners hurts. Annie/ryze do great early 1v1 vs h er.

As teemo I've owned many Vaynes.

Other thing about Vayne is to realize if she's mid she can quickly get to another lane once she hits 6 if your not watching. Managed a double kill + FB on bot last night by Ghosting (buy boots first + pots) to bot, popping ult and taking down the 2 champs that felt they could push our tower (no jungle our side). Went back, rolled mid who had pressed my tower and had 3 kills in about a minute. After that it was GG.

She is tuff with just a little DPS items. Stuns + focus is your friend vs her.

Teams with alot of CC HURT vayne if they close that gap... Ali's who ghost/flash, tick me off.

She's weak. Don't try to 1v1 her unless you can stun/burst her or she'll burst you.

Krimblast

05-12-2011

Thx for tips... So basically i can't itemize my EQ vs her in any way huh?

Etherimp

05-12-2011

Armor reduces her damage and any champ who can harass her from a safe distance will make her fall back and play more defensive.. She starts with low hp and virtually no hp regen, so she depends upon pots early game to keep her hp up. A champ like Mordekaiser who equals her range and has damage mitigation (his armor), as well as high HP regen (thanks to the items he usually takes), will generally force her to back up and hug a tower. Maokai is another example of a champ who can harass from a safe distance.. Caitlyn would probably do fairly well against her, simply due to range advantage.

As said above; don't bother running from her. You're better off (if you're melee, esp), getting in her face and beating up on her. If you're someone like Garen you can get a silence off and remove her ability to dash away or bolt you to a wall. She's strongest when she can single out an enemy and chase them down, as her damage is rather bursty and she is almost impossible to run from. Face to face in a bush? She'll generally get owned due to her squishiness.

ColonelArmy

05-12-2011

If she lanes mid, get Soraka to face her during laning. I know that sounds crazy, but it worked wonders when I tried. She can't harass Soraka very well. Every time she tumbles she would get silenced and POOF, there goes the stun. The bonus damage from tumble can be healed instantly and thanks to the bonus armor her autoattacks won't hurt you much while you can freely harass with you autoattacks. An early level of Starcall and she pretty much has no armor. I practically bullied her till lvl 11 with nothing more than basic boots on my inventory. Then I went Warmog+Atma+Thornmail for the lulz and outDPSed her. Strange, eh?

biomorph

05-12-2011

Even that Phreak dominated a Katarina in mid lane I have yet to see that happen in my games yet. The thing about Vayne even with tumble her range is limited so if you can use range to your advantage Vayne will sit tight at farm creeps at best while trying to avoid you.
I have played Katarina against Vayne mid a couple of games and at lvl 4 or so you can use bouncing blades to counter her approaches early and after a while she will have to play very careful.

But basically Vaynes weakness is her range. However don't be fooled since she can chase you with passive which is why you dont want to push your lane because then you are playing right into her hands.

Etherimp

05-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by biomorph View Post
Even that Phreak dominated a Katarina in mid lane I have yet to see that happen in my games yet. The thing about Vayne even with tumble her range is limited so if you can use range to your advantage Vayne will sit tight at farm creeps at best while trying to avoid you.
I have played Katarina against Vayne mid a couple of games and at lvl 4 or so you can use bouncing blades to counter her approaches early and after a while she will have to play very careful.

But basically Vaynes weakness is her range. However don't be fooled since she can chase you with passive which is why you dont want to push your lane because then you are playing right into her hands.
Her range isn't "poor". She just doesn't have any abilities which have huge range. Caitlyn, for example, has her Peacemaker (skill shot), which has a huge range.. Ashe has her Ult.. Lux has her laser, and her other abilities have decent range as well; Anivia has her Frost Bolt (skill shot)..

What Vayne DOES have which can really catch people by surprise; is an amazing ability to close the gap. Sometimes I scare myself playing Vayne at how fast I get into melee range when I really don't want to be.

If you're laning against Vayne at half-hp, and you aren't paying attention, she can auto attack you once, roll in, hit you with her 2nd silver shot, then Condemn you against a wall before you even realize what really happened.. At this point, if you aren't dead, you will be before you come out of a stun.

Vaynes weakness however, is that she's easily harassed against other ranged champions, and she has NO AOE what-so-ever. Being an assassin, her speciality is focusing one target down and not letting them get away. She has no tools for handling several opponents at once. (not until late game, that is, when she has 2.5 attack speed.)

Pastrytime

05-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by biomorph View Post
But basically Vaynes weakness is her range.
But because of her passive it's not a weakness....