How to do Alistar's W/Q Combo

First Riot Post
12345 ... 10
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Doriantv

05-12-2011

IMO, Alistar's W/Q combo is an example of bad game design. Very few Alistar guides mention it, and the only way you're going to know about it is by watching a 2000+ Elo player stream Alistar games (since they're the only ones that do so). And even then you won't know how it's actually done. Intuitively, it would be done by pressing Q after W, but if that's all you know, you will run into frustration very fast.

I remember talking to some people who said they were having trouble with this combo, so I decided to investigate how it was done by playing against bots and my buddies and practicing over and over again until I could consistently do it. After getting this combo down, I got 7 kills in a 2v2 lane one game.

It's worth learning. Here's how it's done.

1) Pick Alistar
This should hopefully be obvious. But most LoL players are horrible, so you never know...

2) Make sure you can/should do the combo
The purpose of using W/Q is a burst nuke that happens to stun the opponent. Usually Flash/Q/W will be more useful to your team in fights. If you can W opponents into walls, it's more reliable and effective than doing W/Qs. Make sure you have the mana to do it. Finally, keep in mind that if you mess it up, you just blew your cooldowns and made yourself useless for a time.

3) Do the combo
This is the part you guys are interested in I guess.

-Attempt to position yourself at max Headbutt range. It works below it, but it's harder to time the animations.
-Use Headbutt. Make sure you use Headbutt first. It's easier if the enemy is inside Headbutt range when you click, because then there is no delay until the animation starts.
-This is the tricky part: while in mid-animation, press Q. You only need to click it once, but there's no penalty for mashing it.
-The end result should be you arriving at the opponent and stunning him.
-If you pressed Q too early, Alistar will use Q and not W. If you pressed too late, Alistar will Headbutt the champ away and Pulverize thin air.
-If you pressed it exactly, the opponent, when Pulverized, will seem to move towards you as they get stunned.

4) Address your mistakes.

-If you're hitting Q too early, it's because you're probably not watching your W's range, and clicking on the target. This makes it a lot harder. Watch the range of your W, and only use it when opponents are inside the circle but near the edge. Don't just be lazy and click!
-If you're hitting Q too late, work on sliding your pinky finger over to Q shortly after pressing W, as long as you're pressing W properly as described above. Just concentrate on a fast slide rather than pressing Q after W as you would do in a spell combo.

5) Addendum
You could play Malphite, but if you learn this combo you basically get his ult on a 8 second cooldown at 40% CDR. Worth it? I think so.

Doriantv

05-12-2011

Lol random downvote.

If you're an Alistar pro, maybe you can tell me if I messed up somewhere. Did I?

Xerocist

05-12-2011

That was really helpful, thank you.

Doriantv

05-12-2011

No problem.

If you watched Bigfatjiji's game yesterday, he played AP Alistar and nailed this combo flawlessly every time except once. I'm pretty sure you need to be able to do this to play an effective Alistar, especially if you want to do this newfangled AP **** in a solo lane.

As for me, I'll stick to playing Alistar the way I was taught: 2v2 bot support tank.

Doriantv

05-12-2011

Bumping because I added more tips.

firehead11

05-12-2011

wtf dont tell bad alistars how do the w/q move

uCynical

05-12-2011

Easy way to train yourself; press W twice and then press Q. The second W is mainly for timing so that you don't Pulverize too early. After doing that a couple of times, I almost never mess up the combo anymore.

Diggersby thoe

05-12-2011

I hate when they run out of site when you try to use w >:[

Doriantv

05-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by uCynical View Post
Easy way to train yourself; press W twice and then press Q. The second W is mainly for timing so that you don't Pulverize too early. After doing that a couple of times, I almost never mess up the combo anymore.
My mistake is usually pressing it too late, actually. I found that by simply being careful rather than lazy, I rarely make the mistake of pressing Q before W goes off.

Teemo Kanye West

05-12-2011

Holy **** i think im going to go buy alistar and practice this....Thanks for the tip!

12345 ... 10