Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Why Void Staff Sucks 98.8% of the time

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

burakip

09-11-2011

Has anyone put into account that playing fiddlesticks both abyssal scepter and void staff combined r amazing. Go to my build fiddle in the middle on mobafire. That setup if freaking awesome i get plenty of AP and MP

M4nTiCoR3

09-11-2011

It always humors me when I start reading a seemingly new thread, only to come across a very witty and insightful, yet strangely familar comment...and just as I prepare to up vote it...I realize it was mine from like a year ago!

Canis Latrans

09-12-2011

Gap81, I love your graphs! They offer great insight into this. I cant believe this argument has gone since 2010 lol. I have used void staff, and other items along similar lines, what I got from that graph is exactly what you said; that items such as these really are situational. There are situations when you could look at the statistics and say "darn, I wish I had gotten the 40% MP instead of -20 MR" and vise versa (or even some other item for that matter).

I have tried to use one or the other consistently, and believe me when I say that boat don't float. I have won one game using void late in the game, and tried it in another thinking "psh. this will work easy" and lo and behold, a single death later and the gold's already wasted and I'm suffering for it.

Albinododobird

09-12-2011

If you're playing noobs who don't know how to buy a negatron cloak, then abyssal scepter is significantly better. Otherwise, you should get void.

Yukine Tsu

09-12-2011

Quote:
IHelpPro:
Reduction is applied before percent penetration which is applied before flat penetration.

Percent penetration of void staff also combines with 15% pen from offense tree and MPEN runes/items extremely well.

Actually, I believe the order is the following: Reduction > Flat Penetration > % Penetration, as that is most beneficial to the victim.

Say we have 100 armor or magic resist, then -20 reduction, -20 penetration and -40% Penetration

100 - 20 = 80
80 - 20 = 60
60 * 0.6 = 36
Versus the way you described.
100 - 20 = 80
80 * 0.6 = 48
48 - 20 = 28

Edit: Just realized this is an old thread... why do people keep reviving these?
Edit2: Fixed formula

Melvear

09-12-2011

Quote:
Yukine Tsu:
Actually, I believe the order is the following: Reduction > Flat Penetration > % Penetration, as that is most beneficial to the victim.

Say we have 100 armor or magic resist, then -20 reduction, -20 penetration and -40% Penetration

100 - 20 = 80
80 - 20 = 60
60 - (60 * 0.6) = 24
Versus the way you described.
100 - 20 = 80
80 - (80 * 0.6) = 32
32 - 20 = 12

Edit: Just realized this is an old thread... why do people keep reviving these?

Your sequence is right, your results aren't.
60-40%=36
80-40%=48

You put the results of your multiplications as the results of your substrations

Yukine Tsu

09-12-2011

Quote:
Melvear:
Your sequence is right, your results aren't.
60-40%=36
80-40%=48

You put the results of your multiplications as the results of your substrations

Woops, yeah, just looked at the numbers. Thanks for pointing that out.