No More Reporting, in Public Chats?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bane Wraith

05-10-2011

GREETINGS, Salutations, fellow summoners, or Riot Staff alike.

Edit: ...A small, general summary of what's happened:

• The Reporting Function that used to be present when Right clicking a summoner's username in the public chatrooms, on PvP.net, has gone Missing.
  • The Riot Support Staff ( The ones that respond to your tickets ) Have not yet updated their responses to reflect this change.
  • Due to this feature missing, there is only One known way to report Scammers, Spammers and Trolls that are Outside the games: Taking a screenshot, and submitting a ticket.
  • For the full story, or to see other comments on the issue, See below.

--------------------

It was many a patch ago, that summoners logged on to PvP.net could join any one of the public chatrooms ('Strategy, Noob, Looking For Group', etc. (And this Extends into player-made chatrooms)) and relish in the words and consort of their fellow players in a relatively safe environ. Spammers were of little hindrance to a more mature community, that would typically not mind their presence, or manually 'ignore' them by right clicking their names and selecting such. Trolls were generally treated in equal. Account scammers, however, tend to be a little more provocative than other general annoyances, and even occasionally pursue or stalk other summoners.

Repeated random invites from non-english-speaking and/or younger players? No problem, just ignore. Someone's decided to enter a heated arguement of whose mother suffers from water retention? Meh, just trolls; Leave them be, move on with life. Someone's Insisting that I stole their level 30, RP invested account, and is convincing other players of the same? Well, that can't be good. Ignoring won't settle This matter. I'll just right click their names, and --

...What's this?

Behold, the Point of this little speech, ladies and gents:

The Reporting function has gone missing!

Now, granted the above tale is completely fictional, there Have been several other occasions where account scammers and malicious players have been going around trying to cheat others out of their high-end accounts (On a Free to play game, no less!).

Several patches later, and the issue has Yet to be resolved. Riot Staff answering the tickets submitted via the Support section on the website have NOT updated their responses; They will still suggest that players use the Reporting function conveniently found by right clicking the offender's name... a function which conveniently no longer exists.

Fact of the matter, I, personally, don't feel it wise or satisfactory that the entire community must get used to the Lack of a reporting function. Their only option, aside from Screenshot-ing and submitting tickets manually, has been to have a Game with their offenders, so they may use the reporting function found at the Statistics screen proceeding it.

Spammers, Scammers and trolls have not been a truly great threat to the LoL community ( in the PvP.net client, that is) thus far. To ensure that players may converse uninhibited for some time to come, Please, Riot, don't give them free reign Now! Give us back out reporting function, so that we may deny these offenses once more...

~Bane

P.S.:... or at least throw in some Admin / Mods to keep an eye... sheesh...

Thank you, and good day!

Awaken Easley

05-10-2011

+1.

Wouldn't mind seeing some no-lifers hanging around chats to clean up the community a bit.
There's a lot of them in there already, might as well give them the power to mute social antagonists.

Bane Wraith

05-11-2011

I doubt Riot will in any way grant the power of Admin or Mod to any such benevolent players... But, then again, we can always hope. ^_^

To at least provide them with the Tool to clean up the place is my hope.

I've already submitted three or four tickets, trying to report the more disturbing offenders out there:

One of them was preying on the Strategy chat, looking for Riot "Admins". They'd add and whisper to any player that responded, claiming that an account of theirs had been stolen, and wanted to know what they could do about it. After giving the usual advice of where to go, and who to E-mail, they'd ask the player if they could help them, by E-mailing Riot with their case. 30 minutes later, after politely refusing (as I didn't know them), they're guilt-tripping the entire strategy chat into doing the same, until they were generally accepted as a trollish scammer.

Ironically, Right at that time, -ANOTHER- little scammer came along, spamming links to a some place or other ( I wouldn't dare touch the link ), to 'complete a small survey', for "FREE RP!!!1!". Just to confirm that the First scammer was indeed a scammer, they Both Joined Forces in trying to lure the community to one another's cause. XD

It seems to be during the early day hours that these people pop on. But, of course, there's an endless supply of them following every patch, and even more so whenever the servers begin to shut down. Many patches later, and Riot has yet to make a difference... so, Hopefully, with some awareness, we'll get somewhere!

Bane Wraith

05-13-2011

Bumping this once, due to the fact it was posted whilst 90% of players were too concerned about the server failures and lag... ...Please, Comment if you are in agreement to Reinstate the Reporting function, so it doesn't need to be bumped again >.<

Ninjasoul

Recruiter

05-13-2011

Riot actually made reporting easier.....theres a little red exclamation point to the right of their name....click on it and it brings up a screen so you can compose a nice little email of exactly what the person did....and even identify what type of violation of the summoner code they did .

Edit: Just reread the OP.... didn't realize you were talking about public chatrooms...I feel like a fool...

/fail

Villiroth

05-13-2011

It needs moderation, it could even be handled by those labeled as "wrenchmen" and "council...whatever" since they already seem to hold them to a higher standard of trust.

Voluntary moderation works quite well and is many times more efficient then other systems. You just have to start small(10-20) and slowly add more so that its easier to keep an eye on those over zealous moderators.

Bane Wraith

05-13-2011

That'd be fine and all.. but, again, First things first; Bring back the Reporting Function, so that even some voluntary players would have Some power, without needing to resort to screenshots and tickets.

Villiroth

05-14-2011

I think they may have removed it because too many people were reporting for non-reportable things like cussing.

It does need to comeback, maybe it will with the tribunal....

Bane Wraith

05-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villiroth View Post
I think they may have removed it because too many people were reporting for non-reportable things like cussing.

It does need to comeback, maybe it will with the tribunal....
...I am Completely quoting and addressing your thoughtful post, and Not just shamelessly bumping up this thread!

...But seriously. There are... Quite a few ( to say the least ) features that Riot is being pressured to implement, and a solid amount of them are viable enough to be Game changing, Effective, yet simplistic. This isn't one of them.

What this Is, however, is an issue, a Feature that Riot seems to have actually (if not accidentally ) Taken Away from us. And it happens to be one of those features that are relatively Vital to keeping a population of chat-dwellers happy.

So, before the public turns into one of the mindless stereotypical apathetic types, doomed to simply grow Accustom to constant trolls and flame wars.. ... Please grant us Back this privilege?

L33Fish

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-16-2011

This is disturbing and deserves a riot response way more than lame QQ about champ pricing.