[Guide] Udyr, the Adam Smith of LoL by AFKush

1234567 ... 8
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lord Bro

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

03-28-2010

Sadly, unlike several of the other posters, I've had very little luck with this guide -- even though I like the guide and it is logical -- basically I'm at 1/2/2 K/D/A, and have had a string of losing games (although many losses are due to the broken matchmaking algo, or so I'd like to think)! Some questions:

1) How do you afford this build, in terms of gold? I've never even gotten to Force of Nature, let alone Guinsoo's, Sash, etc. Should I be last hitting way more by being in Phoenix mode? It seems if you're laning vs. two guys with solid ranged abilities (e.g. Ryze and Mundo with his cleaver), you just are forced to sit back at your turret and forgo gold.

2) How do you deal w/ the fact that the Tiger Active seems broken? I hit Tiger, rush the enemy, and the little claw sprite/effect appears above their head, but the bonus damage doesn't occur... this is a problem posted in many of the bug forums, but do you circumvent it by just not using Tiger at all?

3) Even with Cleanse, I am getting annhilated in team fights... say they CC me badly, I pop Cleanse... pop bear and stun a few, etc... yet a few seconds later I'm inevitably restunned/slowed and get killed. Is the advice just not to rush in and let someone else initiate?

Thanks for any help.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AFKray

Senior Member

03-28-2010

Quote:
I would also suggest banshee veil in place of quicksilver sash. The thing I don't like about cleanse is that its a reactive ability - once they cc you, even though its already done the damage and stunned you for the half a second or so it takes you to react with cleanse. The thing I -do- like about banshee is that it discourages them from ccing you in the first place.
See the answer to this is simply, that is the point. I don't want people to NOT CC me, I would rather have me take a Rune Prison, Fear, Silence, Slow, Stun, whatever instead of it being used on someone more important to the fight, such as a carry or a fiddle ulting etc. After a while, your reaction time becomes fast enough that the damage from anything duration based is negated completely. My goal is to be bait, and so a Quicksilver gives you two chances to cause them to blow their CC. Also, with the abundance of Anti-Bubbles like Ashe Volley etc, I don't find Banshee's THAT reliable.

Quote:
1) How do you afford this build, in terms of gold? I've never even gotten to Force of Nature, let alone Guinsoo's, Sash, etc. Should I be last hitting way more by being in Phoenix mode? It seems if you're laning vs. two guys with solid ranged abilities (e.g. Ryze and Mundo with his cleaver), you just are forced to sit back at your turret and forgo gold.
Last hitting. Udyr has a near instantaneous attack animation and combine that with early attack speed items, last hitting is a piece of cake. Just practice a bit more. I usually stay in Turtle for the entire time I lane. I only switch to Phoenix when either they are both gone or when I am attacking champs. I don't like pushing the lanes and with Turtle near your tower, it's insanely hard to keep you from leveling. Levels is where Udyr truly starts to shine. Gold will come easy when your Phoenix is 3 and you can take some Jungle time. I have little problems with anyone minus a good Zilean.

Quote:
2) How do you deal w/ the fact that the Tiger Active seems broken? I hit Tiger, rush the enemy, and the little claw sprite/effect appears above their head, but the bonus damage doesn't occur... this is a problem posted in many of the bug forums, but do you circumvent it by just not using Tiger at all?
Tiger needs some love. As for it being broken, I haven't noticed it but I'll test it out to see. If it is broken then yes I wouldn't use it.

Quote:
3) Even with Cleanse, I am getting annhilated in team fights... say they CC me badly, I pop Cleanse... pop bear and stun a few, etc... yet a few seconds later I'm inevitably restunned/slowed and get killed. Is the advice just not to rush in and let someone else initiate?
The key is baiting CC's and promptly using Clense to run out of range of the rest. Also, get Defense. Don't rush Trinity right away as I see so many others do. Defense gives you staying power which = more time to switch stances. More stances = more damage and more survivability via Turtle.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lord Bro

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

03-28-2010

Thank you for the information. Yesterday I remember staying in Turtle Stance during most of the laning phase and it did work better than switching constantly... I would just keep popping turtle's active shield whenever Ryze tried to stun + toss his bounce ball. I actually went Turtle/Bear until level 10, thus maxing both out by that time, and only then did I level Phoenix. This probably isn't ideal b/c my gank ability was low.

---Regarding Tier 3 runes, I only recently hit 20+, and cannot afford an entire set (or even fill up my entire page anyway since I'm not 30). I am level 21 now and have a set of Winter Games Tier 1 Attack Speed Marks (which are almost as good as Tier 2 marks), and I do have Tier 3 CDR glyphs (half are level-scaling, half give the flat bonus).

Are the movement Quints the best to buy? Or should I upgrade to Tier 3 attack speed marks, or dodge seals first?

Movement quints run 2050, flat dodge % seals cost 820, and flat CDR glyphs cost 820 as well. Even though they are extremely expensive, I am thinking movement Quints are the best to buy, since they also benefit my main character (support-style Morgana).

---Regarding buying Malady early on, there is a good post on the Advice Forums that attacks buying it early or at all -- mainly saying that for its cost, it's a total waste, and pursuing a Trinity is better. I'm not sure who is right but there's an argument over it, which may apply to this guide since some posters are advocating it as part of a good item build.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SoHeroic

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Junior Member

03-28-2010

not the same build i have but i guess it would do good i play him more defense because turtle stance owns


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

My name is Mark

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

03-28-2010

best high level Udyr player right hurrr


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AFKray

Senior Member

03-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bro View Post
Thank you for the information. Yesterday I remember staying in Turtle Stance during most of the laning phase and it did work better than switching constantly... I would just keep popping turtle's active shield whenever Ryze tried to stun + toss his bounce ball. I actually went Turtle/Bear until level 10, thus maxing both out by that time, and only then did I level Phoenix. This probably isn't ideal b/c my gank ability was low.

---Regarding Tier 3 runes, I only recently hit 20+, and cannot afford an entire set (or even fill up my entire page anyway since I'm not 30). I am level 21 now and have a set of Winter Games Tier 1 Attack Speed Marks (which are almost as good as Tier 2 marks), and I do have Tier 3 CDR glyphs (half are level-scaling, half give the flat bonus).

Are the movement Quints the best to buy? Or should I upgrade to Tier 3 attack speed marks, or dodge seals first?

Movement quints run 2050, flat dodge % seals cost 820, and flat CDR glyphs cost 820 as well. Even though they are extremely expensive, I am thinking movement Quints are the best to buy, since they also benefit my main character (support-style Morgana).

---Regarding buying Malady early on, there is a good post on the Advice Forums that attacks buying it early or at all -- mainly saying that for its cost, it's a total waste, and pursuing a Trinity is better. I'm not sure who is right but there's an argument over it, which may apply to this guide since some posters are advocating it as part of a good item build.
I would say the movement speed quints are the most important by far. Then, the Attack Speed and then Dodge followed by CDR or you can go with Magic Resist. MR/LvL is really sweet to give you a good balance with Merc's and Warden's.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lightwrks

Senior Member

03-28-2010

You and I need to play some Street Fighter together.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ColdBlooded

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

03-29-2010

sagat udyr, please


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheMagnificent

Member

03-29-2010

This is by far the best udyr guide i've seen, I've been using variations of it to great success.

Just wanna say everybody should keep in mind what you buy for udyr depends to a huge extent on the other team. If you're facing ashe/ryze/sion/nunu/anni, you've really got no choice but merc treads, and then it would be advisable to get your wits end before the armour to compensate your attack speed, and then possibly get a MR armour instead if their ashe isnt carrying.

AFKush didn't mention anything like this so I figured I'd throw it out there for any noobs reading this.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AFKray

Senior Member

03-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagnificent View Post
This is by far the best udyr guide i've seen, I've been using variations of it to great success.

Just wanna say everybody should keep in mind what you buy for udyr depends to a huge extent on the other team. If you're facing ashe/ryze/sion/nunu/anni, you've really got no choice but merc treads, and then it would be advisable to get your wits end before the armour to compensate your attack speed, and then possibly get a MR armour instead if their ashe isnt carrying.

AFKush didn't mention anything like this so I figured I'd throw it out there for any noobs reading this.
I did touch upon it in the "flexibility" clause, but I will also quote this as great advice nonetheless. This is actually the method I use when against magic heavy champs, going Wit's before Warden's/Finishing Trinity, that is.

As for the Sagat build, Tiger stance is currently bugged and doesn't proc it's bonus DoT on activation. I checked it last night and it seemed to be true, so until they fix it. I can't really work on it.


1234567 ... 8