[Guide] Udyr, the Adam Smith of LoL by AFKush

123456 ... 8
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

hryUfZJJOmpK747v

03-19-2010

Thanks alot AFKush!
I love Udyr and your guide is by far the best one around..
I had a lot of success since I've started using your build and tips so thank you!

I have a question though -
what do u normally do when you engage a 5v5 team fight?
I usually initiate with bear, stun some ppl then proceed to tiger/phoenix spamming
sometime throw in a Turtle if I'm getting focused

However, I feel i could tune my tactics by alot instead of just spamming stances..
what stance do you usually stay in for max dps? do you switch stances every global cooldown or stay with one and switch only to maintain the passive?

Also, I realize early game and late game tactics are different so if you could shed a light on this I'll be more then happy

TheMagnificent

03-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by iisoloii View Post
I'm relaly interested in your sagat udyr lol, i imagine hes going to be a dps build, i love playing udyr, but i find hes slow leveling at start hurts my team a little bit, anyways i like to play an agressive udyr dps, but havent really found anything that puts a dent on other champions, dont get me wrong i can hold my owen but im still trying to find a solid demage dealing build that im content with, also i like putting 1 point in turtle at start and then maxing out phonix asap for faster laning/leveling if your good at predicting your opponents move one or 2 points in turtle at start should be enough, it has worked very well for me letting me keep up with all the other players leveling..

Anyways looking forward to this udyr build

Edit: Also i wanted to ad that picking up a green elixir pot (cant remember the name)
around level 4-6 can be god sent ive found that around this levels moust champions are hanging around 50% hp from harrasing each other, i normaly let them push me near tower i pop the pot hit them with bear and then turtle, and finishing them off with a phoneix, they go down like a brick ive often taken out two champions with this strat also you need exhaust for this to work.
If you're just worried about denting and have all other roles covered by teammates, try phantom dancers/inf edge. With that a tiger crit can 'dent' anything

AFKray

03-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourSister View Post
Thanks alot AFKush!
I love Udyr and your guide is by far the best one around..
I had a lot of success since I've started using your build and tips so thank you!

I have a question though -
what do u normally do when you engage a 5v5 team fight?
I usually initiate with bear, stun some ppl then proceed to tiger/phoenix spamming
sometime throw in a Turtle if I'm getting focused

However, I feel i could tune my tactics by alot instead of just spamming stances..
what stance do you usually stay in for max dps? do you switch stances every global cooldown or stay with one and switch only to maintain the passive?

Also, I realize early game and late game tactics are different so if you could shed a light on this I'll be more then happy
Thanks a bunch. To answer your question I usually pre-cast a phoenix then a now-jacked up- Turtle shield then rush in with Bear. I isolate the weakest/most threatening dps and basically gun for him. If you've even been targeted by a Singed you'd know the reaction. They will try and get away, but I pretty much pound them down. If they are fleeing immediately, I normally don't pursue and BearSlap some people for some CC. Around this point my fake-out worked and the original target DPS (like a Trist) already used his Jump/Flash/Name Your Escape Ability so they are an easy target to lock down. The key to this is simply that you build around being strong 1v1 and you then isolate threats and take them 1v1. Udyr has great intimidation, so using this is key.

I always try and keep Phoenix up before I go into Turtle to benefit from the extra shield absorption. Don't forget to count to 6 in your head and keep doing it. This is your internal Bear timer. Keeping track is the best way to ensure that you switch into Bear and not have any wasted attacks. For tactics, I play the role as bait. I often will "Bear" into them only to turn around around. This often causes them to blow their initial CC's which I just Clense off. Being the fastest in the game has a significant advantage and once you make your presence known, so they start to flee if you charge, then you have the psychological advantage.

The bottom line is that your best purpose is to assist your hard carries with your chase-down abilities. You also tend to draw fire from them, and if not you can stun them to help your carry kite. The ability to Bear stun multiple people is HUGE and simply running around and getting 3 hits before switching often turns the tide of battle. For instance, that singed didn't get close enough to toss your fleeing Trist or that Annie wasn't in range to cast that finishing nuke, etc. You control the flow of battle and you do this by controlling the damage output of both teams. You set up focus targets with a Bear stun, which is often their carry so you end up destroying their major source of damage in one fell swoop. I play Udyr very aggressive but I wouldn't recommend this playstyle until you can really understand just how much you can take with proper shielding etc.

As far as early game goes, chill out in your lane and help your partner with some stuns/absorbing the nukes such as Zil bombs etc. At level 4/5/6 is when I put my first 3 points into Phoenix. He relies heavily on that early Zerkers/Sheen so playing defensive during this stage allows you to last longer and possibly set up some counter-ganks if they make mistakes diving you.

Somafera

03-20-2010

I usually find leveling phoenix first better, unless you have to deal with very heavy harassment, just grab phoenix at level 1, save 3rd hits and position yourself to hit enemies, with some pots you can actually outharass a lot of champs straight from the first level.

And why not malady? Its a good and cheap item, the debuff synergizes perfectly with his playstyle (affecting every phoenix tick, etc) and it boosts his survivability.

AFKray

03-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somafera View Post
I usually find leveling phoenix first better, unless you have to deal with very heavy harassment, just grab phoenix at level 1, save 3rd hits and position yourself to hit enemies, with some pots you can actually outharass a lot of champs straight from the first level.

And why not malady? Its a good and cheap item, the debuff synergizes perfectly with his playstyle (affecting every phoenix tick, etc) and it boosts his survivability.
I have tried malady plenty of times and each time I always end up thinking, this money could have been better spent somewhere else. The returns just don't seem to pan out as well and I prefer to min/max the optimal build for getting my defenses up A.S.A.P. without having to sacrifice valuable damage stats. My runes give me plenty of attack speed coupled with Bezerkers that I don't really need the extra. The life steal is nice, but I find that Turtle serves me just as well. Since I don't jungle I can just last hit in turtle and not have to worry about getting life steal to leech. See I often see Udyr's attempt to play a Phoenix first harassment but just end up dying because they are too vulnerable and rely on a weak Turtle shield that they can't support with their small mana pools. Udyr is about shifting and getting an early Sheen and Bezerkers has just been what I have found to be the most efficient means to get to a threatening status that isn't solely based around auto-attacks in Phoenix.

Lolenub

03-22-2010

I've been using this guide and its great.

6 wins, 1 loss. KDA of 44/34/73
My games were almost always all level 30s

I however, don't have all of the runes. 9 Attack speed marks, 6 dodge and 3 attack speed seals, 9 mana regen glyphs, and 3 armor pen quints. I'm working on getting them, and this build is amazing.

Usually my games end around the time you get Tri-force or Force of nature, if you're following the item build exact.

Thanks, I appreciate this guide, I look forward to your Sagat build.

Vindeen

03-23-2010

I can't thank you enough! I've had Udyr for a while and I have...yea... sucked as him. I even had a negative KDR and when I tried this guide, the first game I played, I went 23/3/6! I was a fkn BEASTTTTTTT! Really, I owe you! :-)

Supreme1337

03-23-2010

Wow this guide is great!!! I've been searching for Udyr guides, but they're all really old, and most of them focus on jungling. I personally don't enjoy jungling, so I was really glad to see someone finally write an Udyr guide. I always go for Phoenix, and I pretty much neglect Tiger Stance, so I'm really interested in the Tiger Stance part of the guide. Hope you get that up soon!!!

I've been wondering about the runes. I'm level 23. Do I really need them at this point? Does everyone else use them at this level? Personally I'd rather spend IP on champions than runes (tier 3 is so expensive).

Mpalm

03-25-2010

Is bloodrazor not cool anymore?

I still haven't tried Udyr lol... wanted to finally give him a spin.

VortexMagus

03-26-2010

I'm a fan of how trinity synergizes with everything udyr needs - he gets enhanced sheen buff, increased movspeed, more hp, slow prog upon attack, attack speed, damage, etc etc etc.

I would also suggest banshee veil in place of quicksilver sash. The thing I don't like about cleanse is that its a reactive ability - once they cc you, even though its already done the damage and stunned you for the half a second or so it takes you to react with cleanse. The thing I -do- like about banshee is that it discourages them from ccing you in the first place.

For example, things like ashe arrow and blitz grips are among the deadliest initiation abilities in the game - cleanse has a low cd, but you can't realistically expect to have it up for every fight, and even if you do have it up, you'll end up having to waste it before the fight even starts if the ashe or blitz connects. Banshee has an extremely low cd (30 seconds, meaning it can be up for every engagement) and makes some extremely dangerous cc almost useless against you. It lets you save your cleanse for the middle of the fight, rather than the beginning. And finally, some casters will ignore banshee'd targets altogether, preferring instead to save their spells for squishier targets. It offers a lot of things quicksilver doesn't.

123456 ... 8