Global passives

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Khattamshud

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-08-2011

People have been saying global ults are going to be re-worked, but what doesn't make sense to me is why some older characters still have global passives.

Lets compare these to some newer passives.
(note: we're not comparing them as in saying they are played the same way at ALL, but rather seeing how well the old character's passive gives utility to the player versus the new ones)

TF versus MF:

TF- You get an extra 200-400 gold for your teammates (roughly) per game. This is like tf handing everyone some boots and a mana pot. Not that amazing over the course of a 20 minute game, and over the course of a LONG game, everyone who finishes their build stops benefitting from it.

MF- has built in boots of mobility. No need to farm, no need to wait, and is exactly as useful as it is in the beginning over every single minute of that hour long game.

Zilean Versus Sona:

Zilean- Gives the team 8% more exp. With runes/masteries, this is actually significant. It's not that hard to start out leveling the other team around 10-15. but it provides no benefit at the start, and once both teams hit 18, it stops mattering ENTIRELY.

Sona- Allows her to give more support to her team by adding slows/extra damage/damage reduction. Honestly I think she's the only support who can make someone else do less damage by 20%. Suddenly, she's not just a healer anymore. And this passive is useful from the point when the announcer says "welcome to summoner's rift" to the point where it says "victory."

Janna versus Karma:
Janna- That movement speed boost is a percent, so early game (with lower run speeds) it wont matter as much, and anyone on the other team who gets boots first can still catch you. Anyone with a slow can still own you. And late game, anyone with a zeal, boots of swiftness, or a FoN will run circles around you. It's nice, yes. But it's not making janna much more useful than before.

Karma- Gives her more AP as her health gets lower.... I really hope I don't need to tell anyone why this is useful, especially when 1 rabadon's deathcap makes it 30% better.

TL;DRThe Global passives tend to be pretty weak early game, nice to have mid game, and completely fizzle out late game, while personal passives tend to be as strong at the beginning as the end. My suggestion would be to consider re-working some of these so that they could give more consistent utility throughout the course of the game, or make them fit their role better (cause honestly, tf getting extra gold seems random. He's not even support).

EDIT:
People are idiots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Political Squid View Post
I don't really get Sona having a global passive. Its an on attack passive. I'm not saying its not awesome, I'm saying its not a global passive...
Do me a favor, find the part where I said it was global. I just said it was infinitely more useful than Zilean's once both teams hit level 18. Try reading before you post and downvote.

Fenomenom

05-08-2011

EDITED ENTIRE MESSAGE.

You misunderstand, they are only nerfing panth and tfs ult.

BlastedBarnacles

05-08-2011

You aren't weighing the scales correctly. The benefits are spread for your ENTIRE PARTY. Meaning the others get the same benefit you do while receiving benefits from their own passive. I would say this balances it pretty well.

Khattamshud

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-08-2011

Some quick readers here.

And I know, benefiting the entire party makes it harder to balance. But no other passive in game becomes completely useless after a certain point.

SorwakaFlocka

05-08-2011

I kind of agree with this post.

Tf's passive doesn't help him do his job of dealing out damage. Janna's doesn't help her heal/sheild, but does help in situations where a little extra speed helps.

And I don't think he meant that they WERE looking at changing passives, but that they should.

Khattamshud

05-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorwakaFlocka View Post
And I don't think he meant that they WERE looking at changing passives, but that they should.
Precisely.

Gigawattz

05-08-2011

So what if a passive is only good early game and does nothing late game?
Certain champs are weak early but very strong late game (Tryndamere, Sivir, Kog'Maw, Kayle)
Other are stronger early game and fall off later (Leblanc, Shaco, Urgot, Caitlyn)

Working as intended.

FaceOfJanu5

05-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khattamshud View Post
Some quick readers here.

And I know, benefiting the entire party makes it harder to balance. But no other passive in game becomes completely useless after a certain point.
I'd be more worried about Kog'Maw and Karthus. Their passives can be made completely useless by the enemy team, with minimal effort. How is that balanced?

OBITWIZZLE

05-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khattamshud View Post
Some quick readers here.

Anivia's egg at one point becoes pretty **** useless. Kog's when everyone has boots, Karth's when his ult is on CD, etc.

Fiddle's (i think it's 10 mpen?) is fairly useless.

Grand Pryce

05-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceOfJanu5 View Post
I'd be more worried about Kog'Maw and Karthus. Their passives can be made completely useless by the enemy team, with minimal effort. How is that balanced?
Karthus passive is the only thing making him viable.