Can you jungle without runes?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ML Shift

05-07-2011

I'm currently level 14 and have read a lot of guides that talk about jungling. At my level, I can count on one hand the number of games I've played with a jungler on my team.

I thought that was mostly because people weren't aware of the metagame, so I decided to try it myself with a jungle evelyn in a custom game.

I tried to follow the jungle guideline outlined here: http://www.2d-gaming.com/forums/show...Evelynn-in-5v5

It goes well till the Blue Golems, but I consistently die against them (or have to blue pill). I could blue pill before taking the Golems, but even so, I feel like I'm clearing the jungle too slowly.

Is jungling something that requires a full mastery tree and runebook to be effective? Is it a viable thing to do at my level?

Etherimp

05-07-2011

Until you have more masteries and runes, jungling (esp as Eve) will be EXTREMELY difficult..

Lone Blade

05-07-2011

there are only a few champs who can effectively jungle before they have runes.

DaRatmastah

05-07-2011

If you want to jungle with minimal runes, Warwick is probably your best bet. There are a few others that become pretty viable with level 2 runes(Olaf, Udyr, Shaco), but Eve is kind of a rough jungler without level 3s.

ML Shift

05-07-2011

Thanks everyone!

What about hybrid jungling attempts? Like kill the golems and then go lane, or lane until a few levels and then jungle. Any specific combination that works well in general?

Medusa

05-07-2011

Usually its either Jungle or Lane, dont see much crossover in the early stages. Thing is the ones that are good at jungling arnt nearly as good in the lane so you wouldn't want to lane anyway.

XJDevil

05-07-2011

I have 0 runes and I could jungle pretty well with Lee Sin, Yi and Nunu (The only 3 junglers I play)

who8mahrice

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-07-2011

Nunu's probably the easiest/safest jungler if you have minimal runes/masteries. Each individual rune/mastery isn't really all that much, but they really do add up. E.g. a full defensive tree makes a BIG difference in Malphite's remaining hp after taking blue golem.

On your side point: I used to lane with Amumu for about 2 levels before heading off to the jungle when I didn't have all level 3 runes. I used to think that was ok, but with the xp changes to a solo laner, this isn't really a good strategy anymore as the solo laner's xp adv will basically be nothing (and will really gimp their staying power).

Trux 42

05-07-2011

You do your team more harm than good by laning then going off to jungle. I didn't jungle much until I was level 30 and had runes etc, Your best bet would be nunu or ww and pick up tier 1 runes (they cost almost nothing) armor pen reds and flat armor yellows. Don't bother getting tier 2 runes ever.

xahhfink6

05-07-2011

I just started a smurph and can effectively jungle as a level 4 summoner by playing nunu