How much bandwidth does League of Legends take?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Brandon Lam

05-05-2011

I'm sorry if this question has been solved but i been playing League of legends for awhile now and its been sucking up a lot of my bandwidth. You see, My internet provider; rogers, has a bandwidth limit of 60 gb per month and I been tracking the bandwidth per game and its taking up 200mb to 400mb per game, depending on how long the game is. I'm not running anything in the background. Does it really take that much per game??

Also, I been using down2home to track my bandwidth and it tells me that:

In : 258.09mb
out: 65.0mb

what does that mean^

Brandon Lam

05-05-2011

Lol... i guess riot is too busy hahaha that's ok

1TBSSD

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-05-2011

That sounds a little high, but it could be correct. 60 Gb per month isn't very much, I use more than that by myself, and I don't torrent anything either.

Fatality420

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-28-2011

Sorry about necro, but I was shocked when I got my bill and noticed how far over the usage limit I was, averaging 80mb a game, playing over a span of a month is a crazy amount of bandwith. Sucks because the game rocks.

Eambo

05-28-2011

5v5 Game: Bandwidth Usage at the end of a 44:27 5v5 game:
League of Legends skinned.launcher

Quote:
Download: 44.38KB
Upload: 12.39KB
Adobe Air Debug Launcher (Out-Of-Game Client):
Quote:
Download: 2349.53KB
Upload: 491.71KB
League of Legends Client:
Quote:
Download: 24.29MB
Upload: 13.41MB
That should be approximately what you're getting - I ran these tests a few months ago to see what the bandwidth usage was =-)

DaSojins

02-03-2013

I realize that this thread is a little dated, but I have some specific questions on the subject.

I have a Road Runner connection that allots 10MB/sec down and 1MB/sec up, with no monthly caps, and several test confirm that this is what I am actually getting. I have been doing some stress tests via LAN parties, and I don't know if things are adding up.

Let's look at Eambo's #'s:

Quote:
5v5 Game: Bandwidth Usage at the end of a 44:27 5v5 game:

League of Legends skinned.launcher
Download: 44.38KB
Upload: 12.39KB

Adobe Air Debug Launcher (Out-Of-Game Client):
Download: 2349.53KB
Upload: 491.71KB

League of Legends Client:
Download: 24.29MB
Upload: 13.41MB
This is pretty consistent with what Ymir estimated (~25down, 10up per game)

So...
Quote:
totals
Download: 27266.87KB = 26.63MB
Upload: 14235.94KB = 13.9MB

44:27=2667 seconds

/sec
Down: .01MB/sec
UP: .005MB/sec
Obviously, if you don't have monthly caps on usage, then upload speed is always going to be your problem. Even if you assume 10KB/sec upload usage of background applications, (about 10x what that adobe thing was using on download), you're at .015MB/sec. Mathematically, that means I could be running 66 instances of League of Legends on this connection... which really is not the case. I can get about 5 people playing without noticing anything, 6 people starts to increase some lag time, and by the time I have 8 people playing league, at least someone is having some big-time issues.

I have to be missing something.

1) Is there something i'm missing on the side of connection usage?
2) Do I completely fail at Math?
3) Should I indeed be able to have a LOT of people play this game on my connection?
4) Is this an issue that I should be bringing to Time Warner's attention?