Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Alistar Advice

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TallguyG

05-05-2011

I recently picked up Alistar because I love playing tanks (I usually main as Malphite). However, every guide I've seen recommends a different build for him. It seems that there are many different paths one can take with Alistar.

I really enjoying building uber tanks that are nigh unkillable. What builds would you recommend for Alistar? Especially, what are good starting items for him?

Also, he seems to be really mana dependent. How do you solve that problem?

bylobog44

05-05-2011

I play Alistar as a tank with maxed cool down reduction (and a wee little bit of AP so that his abilities hurt a bit). One thing I have learned in learning to play the cow, is that EVERYONE has an opinion on your build. Alistar is very flexible, so he can be built a lot of different ways (AP, Tank, Jungle, Support, etc.). So I just pick the playing style that I prefer, listen to feedback and apply only what makes sense.

My build is:

• Shurelya's Reverie
  • Boots of Lucidity
  • Banshee's Veil
  • Thornmail
  • Morello's Evil Tomb

This is sufficient to max out his CDR and provide resistance to both magic and physical damage. Additionally all of these items are relatively cheap and efficient - no item is over 2700 gold and all have highly useful precursor items. This is important because despite his agricultural past, the cow is not a good farmer.

Summary
• Total Build Cost: $10,315
• Total Health @ Level 18: 3147
• Armor: 177.5
• Magic Resistance: 80
• Cool Down Reduction: 40%
• Mana: 1274
• Mana Regen / 5 Seconds: 74.95
• Health Regen / 5 Seconds: 105.1
• Ability Power: 75
• Speed: 375
• Passive: Thornmail returns 30% of damage taken as magic damage.
• Passive: Banshee’s Veil blocks 1 enemy spell every 45 seconds
• Active: Shurelya’s boost nearby allies movement speed by 40% for 3 seconds.

Edit: Oh - as far as the mana. I run MP/5 runes and start my build with either a Blue Crystal (later builds into Banshee's) or Meki Pendant (later builds into Morello's). I also start with 2 health pots.

ChampionofXmas

05-05-2011

I like starting with Philosophers Stone, which then builds into Shurelya's. Boots of Mobility so you can run super duper fast, then I feel like armour really depends on the game. Sunfire if you you dont need to stop alot of physical damage, and want to burn stuff. Personnally I like thornmail, or frozen heart. Of course you can't forget your warmogs, since that just gives a ton of health. The health along with, your armor and MR, plus 75% reduced damage with your ult means you can run from a team of 5, and sometime get away

Here4ACleanParTe

05-06-2011

Always start with dorians ring and heal... your lane partner will love you forever.

Larson McMurphy

05-06-2011

I will agree that Shurelya's Reverie (or however you spell it) is an excellent item for Alistar. He really needs the CDR and mana regen, (he has triumphant roar, but the health regen isn't irrelevant), and the health boost is significant. Alistar has such a high base health that between the shurelya's and aegis of legion (another core item for him I would say) you should hit around 3k health.

The unique active on the shurelya's also helps Alistar initiate when his flash is on cooldown. Just run in and pulverize (not as good as malphites ult, but a great initiation none the less).

I would recommend against warmog's only because Alistar naturally has such high health. After shurelya's and aegis, pick up a sunfire, randuins omen, or banshee's veil if you need more health plus armor/magic resistance. If you need more CDR glacial shroud is a good pick. Maxing CDR on Alistar is extremely valuable, but sometimes you may need an additional health boost which glacial does not provide. It just depends on the situation.

Honestly you may not make it that far though. The core is really just Shurelya's and Aegis plus boots. Everything past that is gravy (situational gravy).

If you want to pump out more damage, sheen is probably the most cost effective option. Upgrading to trinity isn't a bad plan either. I like Alistar to be more focused on tanking though. Its a play-style preference.

Oh and as far as boots go I like mobility, but you may want to try merc treads or ionian. Whatever suits your needs.

atsmith893

05-06-2011

You need to be careful building a nigh unkillible tank. Usually this comes at the cost that you will get ignored in team fights, because you have almost no damage.

Alistar has the luxury of building semi tanky with support and still being very tanky in team fights. Building this way though makes you more vulnerable to pokes before you use your ult and team fights that last longer than your ults duration.

You should look into roaming with alistar as hes an excellent roamer, if you lane with him you should be laning with an extremely bursty champion with CC to feed them kills.

Your build should be:
Boots 1 / 3 HP pots unless they have a weak jungler, then Boots 1/HP pot/Ward
Buy Phil stone <- should solve mana problems when combined with a 9/0/21 mastery build and runes
Buy HoG
Boots 5
Sheen (this is where most of your damage comes from)

Here is where YOU need to decide what to build, getting hit hard by magic build up to a Banshees or FoN, getting hit by phys, finish HoG, build sunfire (even though you already have a lot of natural health), or build a Frozen Heart for CDR, thornmail if they have a yi/twitch.

You can build support if your team needs, you can build an atmas if you went with either banshees/sunfire. Sheen should build into tryn force if the game drags on forever. AP alistar is tempting, but don't get baited as its really not a great build for him.

If you desperately want some ap you can always swap out some of your defensive items for an abyssal/hourglass and trin for a lich bane, but keep in mind if you are looking for a tanky caster you should pick someone better at it like cho.

TallguyG

05-06-2011

thanks for the tips that helps a lot guys!