[Guide] Offensive Heimerdinger - How to not be rubbish

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dodd

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-08-2010

Introduction

Heimerdinger, although a cool champion, is useless for the most part, as he is played by lots of terrible players. But if he is played right, i.e. offensive AP build, he can be very hard to deal with, and sometimes even, gulp, useful. He has pentakill skills that can help a lot such as an AoE blind/stun, a spammy, no skill required homing rocket, and of course his turrets that can lock down lanes if you place them correctly, but are also fantastic offensive tools. Offensive Heimer can be a real menace, and an extremely fun champion to play.

Here's the thesis of this guide. Heimerdinger is labeled as a support. I say, F THAT. Learn to play offensive Heimer. Do it right, and don't be a *****.

This guide is NOT written for Heimerdingers who:
Solo mid
and/or
Play defensive.

Heimerdingers who do this are DOING IT WRONG. Soloing mid as Heimer is silly, as Heimer is not a carry unless both the teams he is with and against are rubbish. Playing defensive is stupid, because you're utterly useless late-game. If this is how you play Heimer, change your champion, or change your ways. You should not be playing defensively after you've passed level 6.

This guide is not very comprehensive or long, but it's really just meant to change the mindsets of bad Heimer players, and not to be a comprehensive guide on a champion that doesn't require that much skill. Follow this guide, and you may not become a master Heimer player, as I'm not sure such a thing exists, but you will AT LEAST find yourself having a hell of a lot of fun. If you really do need a comprehensive guide on a pure-fun champ like heimer, find a different champ you tool. Read this guide carefully, it won't take long, I promise.

Pre-Game

The thing about Heimerdinger is that his runes and masteries aren't very important. It's really about the way you play him. Not to say that you can just use whatever you want, though.

Runes

In my experience Heimer has done the best with full offensive AP/magic pen runes, but they're not the only option.

Quints - AP/Flat HP
Marks - Magic Pen
Seals - Anything
Glyphs - AP/CD Red

Having HP at the start of the round is always nice, as Heimer starts with some 400 HP which is pretty weak actually. Otherwise, it's pretty straightforward. Cooldown reduction is nice to spam upgrades more frequently, but I prefer to use AP glyphs for the extra attack power on early game turrets.

Masteries

Heimer's masteries are a bit tricky. I use rally, and improved rally is among the most necessary summoner spell masteries but it requires putting a lot of useless points into things that Heimer doesn't need. You can choose to ignore this masteries section as a whole, it's really not important.

21 Offense / 0 Defense / 9 Utility

Offensive Tree:

1/3 Deadliness
3/3 Archmage's Savvy
4/4 Sorcery
1/1 Archaic Knowledge
2/2 Offensive Mastery
3/3 Sunder (The following 3 masteries are to make way for Improved Rally, and why not get havoc if you've gone this far)
2/3 Brute Force
3/3 Lethality
1/1 Improved Rally
1/1 Havoc

Utility Tree:

3/3 Perserverance
1/1 Spatial Accuracy
4/4 Awareness
1/1 Greed

Summoner Spells

Rally rally rally rally rally rally rally rally rally rally rally rally rally rally rally. So you've got your wall of level 3 turrets and are just about to destroy this turret. But then, mean ol' scarecrow comes in and tries to f your s up! If you're doing well you won't die to a crowstorm anyway. But Rally will ensure that you kill the fiddle, with correct use of rockets, grenades, and turrets, and that they get all healed up later. It's also good after the laning phase for 1v2ing people, winning team fights, etc. And coupled with your passive, it gives you and those around you massive health regen. Improved rally makes rally boost AP, so it's a must if you choose to go with rally.

Teleport is another very useful spell, due to the fact that you can teleport to your turrets, which you should have spread all over the map by mid-late game. I really shouldn't have to explain this.

Clarity is certainly an option, as even with Philosopher's Stone, you still can't spam your skills without running out of mana.

Heal is okay if you don't like the high cooldown of rally, in which case you're silly. But it can heal up your turrets and whatnot when they're at low health.

Flash and Ghost are two good escape mechanisms, as Heimer has none. They can be used to lead idiots into your turrets as well. Flash in particular is good for engaging/getting in turret/rocket range.

Fortify and Clairvoyance are always good team options for any champ.

Promote is gone :'(

During-game

Heimer's pre-game isn't all that important. His items, of course, are.

Items

1. Meki Pendant + 2 Health Pots OR Regrowth Pendant

Regrowth adds to your great health regen, and Meki allows you to build turrets more often if you're stupid and let them die. Both of them build to Philosopher's Stone.

2. Philosopher's Stone + Fiendish Codex OR Sorcerers Shoes OR Mejai's Soulstealer OR Catalyst The Protector

Philosopher's stone will pay for itself eventually, and is useful for the great regen it provides. The next four items are situational. If you're doing exceptionally well, go for Soulstealer. Fiendish Codex, Catalyst The Protector and Sorcerers Shoes you should always end up with; you can get whichever one you want first and it won't really matter. I usually choose Catalyst because I enjoy protection. Don't build your codex, Deathfire Grasp and Nashors Tooth are both silly on Heimer.

3. Rod of Ages

Health, Mana, and AP are Heimer's main stats. Rod of Ages conveniently provides all three. Get this as early as possible to get maximum usefulness out of it. Get it before codex/shoes if you want.

4. Rylai's Crystal Scepter

Slowing rockets are *****in'. They can slow chasers and slow chasees very easily and effectively. So are slowing grenades. Your grenades will be like mini-AoE-Exhausts! Awesome! The health and AP are nice too, of course.

Right now your inventory should consist of:
Philosopher's Stone
Sorcerer's Shoes
Fiendish Codex
Rod of Ages
Rylai's Crystal Scepter
[Mejai's Soulstealer]

Now you have a number of choices. Banshee's Veil is of course a great item on pretty much anyone. Zhonya's Ring is a great item, especially if you've got Soulstealer stacks (sell your philosopher stone, idiot). Frozen Heart is not an offensive item, but has great cooldown reduction, and is helpful if the other team has got lots of physical DPS. Aegis of the Legion seems like it was made for defensive Heimer, but offensive Heimers can make use of it as well. The new and improved Void Staff is a nice item that gives you some more magic pen. Abyssal Scepter is alright for AP and more MR reduction. But now I'm just naming random items. Think for yourself.

Analyze the match, and buy items that fit the situation. For instance, if they have lots of casters, get Banshee's Veil. If you're owning face, get Zhonya's and own more face.

Skills

Your passive is an aura that gives units around you health regen. And you know those big fancy stone turrets what shoot lasers? It works on them too. You're like a doctor for buildings! Stand around turrets to heal them if you're not underleveled, it can really help you out in the long run.

1. Turrets
2. Rockets
3. Turrets
4. Grenades
5. Turrets
6. Upgrade
7. Turrets
8. Rockets OR Grenades
9. Turrets
10-18. Whatever floats your boat.

Turrets first are obvious. Teleport to your lane which is not mid and set up turrets early, or in the bushes, if you want. Max your turrets out as soon as possible so you can place lots of 'em.

Upgrade Upgrade when you can, the CD red is nice and placing turrets and upgrading them immediately after is vital for mid-late game fights. Level 2 turrets reduce defenses, and Level 3 turrets have the Tiamat effect. Focus on level 2'ing turrets before level 3'ing them. Around late game, you should find yourself having level 3's fairly rarely unless you're losing and are hugging your inhibitor all the time.

Rockets and Grenades are both fun moves. Rockets can be used to harass, so I suggest you take them at level 2 over Grenades. They also do a buttload of damage late-game, and are good for KS'ing if you're using Mejai's.

Grenades are great for steadily doing damage to turrets. That's right, they damage turrets. Awesome. They also outrange them. They are also very useful for stunning chasers and checking bushes. Take note of their bushchecking function, it can be very useful. And for, like I mentioned in the items section, being mini AoE exhausts with Rylai's Crystal Scepter.

Basic Strategy/Mindset

Early Game

Don't play too defensive. Don't go all-out offensive yet, because you're still in the laning phase. Build your turrets in a clump or wall, or spread out if they have AoE. Start replacing your turrets with new ones further down the lane to help you push and to keep enemy minions/champions from pushing. Get their turret down, be happy.

Mid Game

If you have mejai's, be sure to spam rockets to get kills and assists. Now is the time to start playing offensive. Go for kills. Do not think of your turrets as tools of defense, think of them as tools of battle. If there are teamfights, participate. This does not mean be an idiot and turret dive in desperation for kills. Evaluate with that smart brain of yours whether or not going for someone is plausible first. Remember to time your grenades right for stuns. This takes practice. If you're still being a defensive dinger because you suck, break out of your turtle shell. Have some courage in you!

Late Game

Help push and help in team fights, a lot. Build turrets next to inhibitors while pushing them. Help defend when your team is down to the inhibitor turret and needs you. Use your passive to heal up them turrets if you're not terribly underleveled. Your turrets should have 100 attack power assuming you have 224 AP. I have gotten 600 AP as heimer before, and given my turrets around 200 attack power. This means you can use them actively and upgrade them immediately after placing them, giving them 2.5 attack speed and over 100 damage. That's like around 350 DPS if you're doing well! Awesome. Stun people in front of your turrets to make them take extra damage from them.

Team Fights

Approach the fight and set up a Level 2 turret. Throw in grenades and rockets from the side. Make sure you don't underestimate (or overestimate) the speed of his grenades. All your skills can help greatly, especially your AoE blind. Make good use of all your skills. It will become clear as you engage in teamfights more.

In conclusion, thanks for taking the time to read and -1 my guide. Yeah, it's not great, but hopefully people will start having FUN with Heimerdinger now. Oh, and doing well and being non-useless.
HUGE props to Lysergsaure, I stole this template from him and I hope he doesn't mind.

aLargeSomoanMan

03-08-2010

Nice guide, I'm glad I'm seeing some offensive Heimers instead of the boring sit-at-turrets defensive ones.

Azing

03-08-2010

Good heimers are hard to come by. Everyone who plays tend to pocket rocket and think they are good. I do disagree a bit with your talent choice and item wise to some degree.

Mastery wise I find 9/0/21 works the best. Reduced CD is a big component in increases heimers damage output. His abilities are on rather long CD and reducing them down helps a lot in increases his usefulness Grenades give a good stun/blind to aid in team fights while rocket damage is always good to spread the love. Their high CD can be cut down greatly with reduction.

Skill wise I find the best way to go with heimer is to skip turrets all together. They dont hold enough use until later on since before hand since they aren't the major force they are rather lack luster.

1.) Rockets/Grenade (Depending if laning focusing on First Blood)
2.) Rockets/Grenade (Whatever not gained first level)
3.) Rockets
4.) Grenade
5.) Rockets
6.) Ult

Basically finishing up Rockets allow it max damage when its used with the most targets possible. Turrets dont have enough use at low levels due to their low damage until the get pumped up to lvl 5 or once heimer gets AP. Early on most of Heimers power will be in harrassing the two champions and using a stun to get an enemy and hopefully kill them with your lane partner.

Rune wise I must say that Blue CD reduction are a MUST. CD is a heavenly blessing for Heimer and make him that much better.

Item wise I recomend if possible to aim for Meja's. Its a crazy aspect but if you master heimer it becomes very hard for you to be killed unless chased with much CC. I personally find with flash alone as an escape mechanic and using grenades to Stun chasers and turrets to harrass, I can avoid death. Either way once obtained I do agree with getting Rylai's after Rod of Ages. Slowing missiles are great to catch runners and give a chance at a nade toss for a stun and also boosting health.

If played well heimer is just a beast. Hes not able to spam spells as constantly as other heroes but when they hit, they hit hard.

Dodd

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azing View Post
Skill wise I find the best way to go with heimer is to skip turrets all together. They dont hold enough use until later on since before hand since they aren't the major force they are rather lack luster.
I disagree. If you don't get turrets, you're bound to your lousy autoattack, and you'll be able to fire off just a couple of rockets/grenades until you run out of mana. I guess you could say it sounds good in theory if you're a ks-hungry *******, but you'll be pretty useless to your lanemate.

Drega

03-08-2010

Heim is my main.

Although I mostly agree with item choice, I find your logic flawed. I think Heim is *most* effective if he solo mids.

I stack turrets early game mid to mass coin, which I then use to pump up AP- Void Staff, Sorcerer's Shoes, Zhonya's Ring, Lich Bane, etc.

Result is, early game you won't be getting many if any champ kills, but by focusing on AP, can be deadly later. Often the enemy tries to bring 3 champs in to deal with mid turrets, but a well timed concussion grenade combined with the turrets & micro-rocket usually put an end to that.

And later in the game, cuz at some point your turrets will be wiped, then you can stack them near an enemy base to keep that lane bottled up, and allow your team to port in and launch assaults from there.

Works out well for me. For example, My results tracked over 8 games:

11-3-10
5-0-3
13-2-11
6-0-0
17-2-5
4-1-4
15-2-11
12-5-7

Good enough for me since I think he's a fun champ.

Dodd

03-08-2010

I think it's best to have a suitable carry solo mid, as Heimer is the most effective when paired with someone. Heimer isn't really an effective carry. And

Quote:
And later in the game, cuz at some point your turrets will be wiped, then you can stack them near an enemy base to keep that lane bottled up, and allow your team to port in and launch assaults from there.
my game plan is not to set up turrets in a place to defend or push, it's to use them mostly as an active spell just like any other. I can see where you're going with that though. It's just that I think Heimer is more effective if he roams or switches lanes, even though he's usually viewed as someone who builds a wall and annoys the other team early game.

YYZed

03-08-2010

You failed to make me see how to play heimer offensively, you only encouraged the turtle sterotype.

let me make my post short and simple;
solo mid heimer isnt worthless if your team doesnt exactly have a better solo.
Solo mid heimer should be ganking at level 7/9 as soon as he gets good rockets, he should be just running in and dropping his rockets, which at that level range should be about 1/3 of a side lane's health which is just huge for ganks.
The reason why he can do this is simple, turrets do farming for you while your out of your lane (if you say, oh, but then their mid will be pushing the turret down in no time, then know this, the only mid that should ever be trying that is sivir, most others should procede to ganking as soon as they hit the 6/7ish range)

I have two other main flaws in your guide

A) you failed to make the notes and tricks of grenade
1. Grenade damages turrets, great for slowly getting rid of their turrets without getting in range
2. Grenade reveals the target area as its traveling, so can be used to check a brush
3. Grenade has a slow travel time, so important note; the closer you are usually means you are more accurate.

B) No team fight strategy.
1. As everyone knows heimer is labeled as support, and that is true, he sits on the sidelines of a fight and runs in as needed.
2. as soon as a fight is initiated run a bit closer into the fray and procede to do the following: a) Blow rockets, b) set up a turret and upgrade c) drop a properly thought out grenade, d) wash and repeat as needed while trying not to get too close into the fray.

-------------------------
My other comments: Rally+Turrets is nice, but flash is great on heimer is amazing for not only getting away, but also for gaining extra range to get a more accurate grenade.
Teleport is also nice for quickly getting to your turrets when some noob is going after them when your gone.

Also: I believe in the 9/0/21 Masteries as the CDR benefits him hugely in the lane do to his huge cds on turrets and rockets. (as far as regular spells go)
also having reduced summoner skills are great.

Sorry for writing my own little mini-guide, but i pointed out what I find that works so you could build upon it, I also filled in some parts i feel you left untouched. GL for your heimer in the future.

Dodd

03-08-2010

Thanks, I'll add some of that in.

Drega

03-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion King IV View Post
And my game plan is not to set up turrets in a place to defend or push, it's to use them mostly as an active spell just like any other.
Actually I agree with you there. I drop turrets amongst enemies all the time in fights, drop turret, upgrade for super speed, then grenade & rocket. Works out well.

Dodd

03-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drega View Post
Actually I agree with you there. I drop turrets amongst enemies all the time in fights, drop turret, upgrade for super speed, then grenade & rocket. Works out well.
Exactly Any heimer that doesn't do that sucks.