The absolutely cheapest most useful runepages for new players

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dakonblackblade

05-04-2011

Introduction. I have 10 runepages and tried a great variety of runes over this period of time (since EU beta) . And still trying that. However it pains my heart to see new 30 level players not having a nice runepage.

You will say, ''they are expensive , i have only 2 pages, many different playstyles, yada yada yada''

And I say, every stat u will have in your runepage will help you.And not only that. Start doing it since Level 1.Remember every little bit helps. ''Yeah but i dont need manaregen on my kennen''. Well then we have to do our best with what we have. So lets put down the minimum facts.

a) 2 Runepages. Not all having 3 or more .
b) Cover as many champions and situations (junling, mana, no mana, tanks, dpsers and such)
c) Cheap as cheap as it gets. (no runes with 820 IP cost)

1st Runepage (AD, Junglers, AD tank, AD Hybrids)

Red: 9x Armor Penetration. This is a 410 IP rune, yes, but its the best rune around for champions proven by maths in some other threads. They are also the best since they boost the dmg of spells that are physical (Xin Zhao Ulti, Renekton abilities) . There is no contest here. However if you still want to drop the price , there is another combination as suggested by junglers, 6x Armor Penetration + 3x Flat dmg. This setup is needed to reach 10 armor penetration which is the armor of neutral creeps (you cant drop it below 0 with penetration) +3 dmg for maximum effectiveness in the jungle. Also dmg runes cost 205 IP so the price falls even lower. You also wont notice the difference in lane. It may help you on last hitting too.

Yellow: 9x Armor Flat. 205 IP runes that enable jungling for all heroes is nothing to scoff at. Dodge runes are very expensive at 820 IP cost so are not considered. Jax players will prefer dodge BUT even for them , armor is the second best so all is good. Also will make even Ranged heroes a bit more tankier (this is what we will analyze further)

Blue: 9x Magic Resist Flat or /level. Again good for ALL heroes. These runes maybe not optimal for you Dpsing lovers BUT they will help you survive more, take less dmg from nukers in lane, help your melee heroes and such. Remember what we said, minimum cost for maximum results.

Mana regen runes got nerfed and basic mana regen increased. Meaning that early game regen is more or less covered. CDR runes are priced on 820IP so that should be enough to skip it. However there is another reason . Ionian boots+9-0-21 builds get you up to 24% CDR reduction. This is pretty common right? The next CDR item you get, WILL get you capped at 36-40% CDR. Spirit visage, soul shroud, you name it. Since CDR caps at 40% and no more, your CDR runes are out of the equation . Totally or partially wasted. Blue buff or Blue Elixir makes thing worse

Quins: 3x Flat Health or 3x Armor Penetration or 3x Movement Speed or 3x Avarice. The first option is for newer players and people that like their runeboosts earlier. Second option is for more experienced players and later utility. Third option is even more aggresive and will give slight edge in many situations.What ever u get is perfectly fine.

2nd Runepage (spellcasters, spellcaster tanks, manaless spellcasters, spellcasters jungle )

Red: 9x Magic Penetration. Really the only option on red, there is nothing else to talk about.

Yellow: 9x Armor. Yes armor. Tanks will benefit from armor and also tanks tend to do dmg with spells (Malphite, Alistar). Casters may frown on this but its the same with Ranged DPS, being tankier never hurts. It goes that way. A B.F.S may be optimal for 50% of the heroes but Belt of Giant Strenght is solid for 100% of the heroes. We want to be good for a great variety of heroes and have options open . Also we dont have to spend anything since we already have them .

Blue: 9x Magic Resist Flat or /level. This is the same argument as above. Good for everyone. Not optimal for everyone (but im sure u will love a 50 Magic Resist Katarina at level 1)

Quins:3 x Flat health or 3x Magic Penetration or 3x Movement Speed or 3x Flat Ability Power or 3x Ability Power/level or 3x Avarice. Same as the 1st runepage.However there is a 4th option by using AP runes. This is to strengthen friendly spells such as Heal, Shields and such that dont benefit from magic penetration. Dont worry, 3x Flath health = 3x Armor penetration + 3x Magic Penetration=3x Movement Speed =2 x 3 AP runes on IP cost. Just make sure u either use the expensive ones to both pages or Armor Penetration in Page 1 and Magic Penetration or AP in Page 2.

Now some clarifications.

Why not get Flat or /level damage on reds for our first runepage? Easy, it doesnt boost your physical abilities the way Armor Penetration does. Same goes for Attack speed runes.

Flat armor or /level armor? Flat. Simple as that. Way better for junglers and at half IP cost. Also Armor Bonus equalizes at 10 level for /level runes. No contest here, flat wins

Magic Resist flat or /level? They come at the same cost and become equal at 10 level and after that /level become better. To tell you the truth is a personal choice. I really want my runes to help my early game since the bonuses later are quite small compared to what items give. But feel free to choose whatever u like.

Now lets calculate the total cost for both pages

3x 2050 (or 6x 1025)+ 9x 410+9x 205+9x205 +9x 410 = 17220 IP . If u get 100 IP per game (win/lose) these are 172 Games. If u calculate 1st win of the day this gets smaller. However its a number that you have when u are 30 level.

These 2 runepages will cover all your needs for all the heroes u will ever have (again i repeat NOT OPTIMAL BUT DEFINATELY SOLID). Even if u get more runepages, for specific champions, u will use many of those runes over and over again .

I strongly suggest getting those runes (Tier 3 of course) to get the most out of your games and not worry about runepages when u start play different heroes. Hope it was helpful for everyone, ask me away .

There is however a new player in the game 3x Quintesence of Avarice. They provide 1gold/10secs and cost 515IP each which is dirt cheap. Now how do they fare? Lets say that the average game lasts 30 minutes. If you have 3 Quints of Avarice, it means you get 30x60x3/10=540 gold . Long story short these 540 gold buy you a ruby crystal and some pots. If you compare it to Quints of health this is a bargain. However there is a catch. You dont have that 540 gold in the start of the game and of course you dont have that ''ruby crystal'' when u need it. But they seem like a solid choice and they provide 75gold per 3 minutes (hint hint) , which combined with greed mastery can make a hell of a difference , tho subtle in the beginning. I strongly suggest you try them out. I know I will.

About new players. Start getting runes since level 1. Use the Tier 1 and after level 20 go to Tier 3. Tier 1 is so cheap and provide 50% of Tier 3 bonuses. There is no reason not to get them.

Long story short.

1st Page

Marks: 9x Armor Penetration or 6x Armor Penetration+ 3x Attack Damage (3690IP or 3075IP)
Seals: 9x Flat Armor (1845IP)
Glyphs:9x Magic Resist Flat or /level (1845IP)
Quintessence:3x Flat health, Movement Speed, Avarice, Armor Penetration ( 6150 IP , 6150IP, 1545IP, 3075IP)

2nd Page
Marks: 9x Magic Penetration (3690IP)
Seals: 9x Flat Armor (1845IP)
Glyphs:9x Magic Resist Flat or /level (1845IP)
Quintessence:3x Flat health, Movement Speed, Avarice, AP Flat or /level, Magic Penetration ( 6150 IP , 6150IP, 1545IP, 3075IP, 3075IP)

Silent Reaper

05-04-2011

Flat Damage Runes are increadibly underrated, they make last hitting a breeze, especially for inexperienced players.

kaleb bartlett

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-04-2011

thank god, someone mentions to use T1 runes. hate it when people don't use any runes till 20, especially when they are so dirt cheap. Besides, if you craft 25 T1 runes you get a random T3 rune 375ip for a chance at a 2050ip rune? yes please!

FreeBuffett

05-04-2011

+good sir
listen to this man

tumultuoustempus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-04-2011

Excellent and well thought out analysis. Props!

Dakonblackblade

05-04-2011

Glad you like it guys

lmaonade200

05-04-2011

+1, i didn't reactivate my account for the free runepage that every got between season 0 and 1 (?) so i'm still stuck with only 2, but yea generic runepages are incredibly useful and versatile when you're just trying to stock up on champions first like me

PunchGroin

05-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Reaper View Post
Flat Damage Runes are increadibly underrated, they make last hitting a breeze, especially for inexperienced players.
Situational. Pen is pretty much universally good. it's not worth the 3 or so last hits I whiff during the laning phase to lose that. (there ARE exceptions... AD is great for some junglers, mostly trundle, since he basically gets double the benefit from it. More actually, if you add the q steroid)

Great guide though, I agree with basically everything here. flat armor and MR/level are DIRT cheap. (If you ever want to jungle, flat armor is basically required for every jungler.) Those pen runes make a MUCH bigger difference than they have any right to. They will make the difference between a first blood and death.

SliveDraver

05-04-2011

Knowledge dropped and received! Thanks. This would be even more fantastic if it were updated. Great resource.

Ludak021

05-05-2011

I have purchased Tier 2 runes so far, those that I needed (pretty much like in this guide) I hope I didn't make a mistake? Quintessence 20HP tier 2 - 810IP, 26HP tier 3 ~2100ip? Thanks but no thanks.