Flat or Scaling MR as an AP Mid going against an AP Mid

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Direwolfiez

12-17-2013

I was wondering which one has the greatest effect on the game. I'm not really sure which ones to run, and since I'm not really into ranked yet, it's not as important, but I'd still like to know.

I know the difference between them, I just want to hear which are generally better for AP mids.

ageking

12-17-2013

Flat MR against AP mid, scaling MR if they are an AD mid.

That is the typical setup, flats will keep you alive much more efficiently in lane, where as scaling are good, but you will take too much damage from harass.

there are certain exceptions, but usually you can build some MR from athenes/ abbysal sceptre, even spirit visage or banshees veil depending on your champ for the late game MR that you may need.

Const the Ginger

12-18-2013

Flats are best vs burst champs and anything early game. Runes and masteries are much more beneficial early. You can get away with scaling if you plan on playing safe, but I would always bring flats vs champs like syndra, ziggs, ahri, fizz. All of them plan on all innig at 6.

Its just safer tbh. And in low tier, games are generally snowballed early. Flat anything is best early.

TMIT

12-18-2013

Always go flat and play for early advantages. While scaling runes are stronger in late game team fights, that will partially be mitigated by the advantage of having strong benefits sooner towards good itemization (which also allows more flexibility since you can convert early advantage into purchasing what you need). Also, team fighting, objectives, and positioning are extremely critical late-game and easily trump all but the rarest of team fights decided by tiny margins.

On the flip side, nothing else can quite match the early advantage given by flats. IMO if you are getting anything other than flats you'd need to be very experienced and have a strong justification for doing it.