What I did to get out of ELO "hell"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

muss0lini

04-25-2011

In short I got a lot better at the game.

I hit thirty and was excited to join the ranked games thinking that I was pretty darn good at LoL. I won my first eight games in a row but all I could really do well was jungle Nunu so as soon as Nunu didn't fit the team build at champion selection I feared bad things were coming. I got my ELO up to 1500 just riding good carries and having decent map awareness and constant ganks. Then my carries started to fail I started to try new characters and I dropped 20 games in a row and then dropped to about 1050 ELO. So what did I do. I started off raging against riot thinking it was everyone else's fault since I was so good and stopped having fun playing. Then I had several realizations. If you are a low ELO player you are not as good as the high ELO players. Period. There is a reason you are in low ELO. Second I realized that there are games your team will lose for you but at low ELO's you can carry a team really well if you do the following.

1. Have better map awareness. Gank and don't be ganked.
2. Buy wards. Buy lots of them. I don't care if you are the tank buy them and put them in quality places. The more map you can see the less you die and the more you gank.
3. Play a champion that can carry through having a scrub or two or even three on your team. Get good with a good with tanks, carries, supports, and junglers. I have at least two of each I am above average to excellent with. Try all the champions in normal and custom games and find your niche.
4. Communicate. If your jungler is missing good gank opportunities tell him. If you are coming to gank tell someone.
5. Stop raging when you are losing. You will lose sometimes. The best players in the game still lose and you are not one of them.
6. Complete your rune book. I good rune book is like starting the game with 1500g instead of 475.
7. It really doesn't hurt to watch a video or two online of some of the good players playing and see how they carry their team. How much they micro, where they go, what they buy, when they initiate, how they initiate, ward placement, and their positioning in team fights. They are better then you so try and emulate them until you stop being a bad player.
8. Last hit minions better. Simple and game changing.
9. NEVER get out of position in team fights or late game. One person out of position can be a game loser. If someone on your team is tell them and since you have the map well warded, if they are out of position make them pay. If you are Ashe don't stand at the front of your team. If you are malphite don't stand at the back.
10. If you find someone you mesh well with duo queue with them. If you rock as malphite or alistar or any tank not perma banned and they throw down a mean carry then by all means duo queue with them. You will still lose some but now at least you won't have four players you can't play with on your team.

The main thing to realize is there is a reason you have low ELO and stop blaming the system and start getting better. I did and am back up above 1300 ELO and consistently rising. You can be too. Also its a game so have fun with it and remember you are not Hotshotgg because if you were you wouldn't have 1000 ELO.

Luckster

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-26-2011

You cannot carry all teams. Im not neccessarily in ELO HELL, but teams in 1200-1300 are horrible. And they feed like crazy. Also there are lots of TROLLs. Im happy for you i guess. But hope i have a good day and go up like 100-150 ELO and be at 1400.. And hopefully no more uber bad teams.

Dopplar

04-26-2011

You'll come back down eventually OP. I had the same streak, rising up from 900 to 1295. Now I just get feeders. All your points are basic and I employ them. Feeders, afkers, leavers, and bots (people that play just like them at least) overwhelm any one person's ability to carry. It takes a little bit of skill but mostly a lot of luck that you don't have the worst feeders.

I've tried all roles- jungle, carry, tank, support, roaming. I am successful, my team is not. Once we stop being able to fight as a team, I try counter pushing. My team will inevitably decide to engage a 4v5 fight. The stupidity is never ending and completely unfathomable.

Daniellynet

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-26-2011

You're right, but I get teams like this V often, and it's impossible to carry unless you're a) SUPER PRO or SUPER HIGH Elo)

*******http://screenshot.xfire.com/s/113383524-4.jpg********

@around 10 min enemy had like 8 kills already from top and mid. D:

Dopplar

04-26-2011

^^^ I feel your pain. I should start posting up ss of my defeat ranked games.

Xenomorphica

04-26-2011

Enjoy doing all of these things and being a good player, and still being stuck in elo hell. It's pure luck.

eabe

04-26-2011

Hmm well at least there are a few lucky people out there. However I am defiantly not one of those people.

I just played 3 games today. My team won the first two matches really quick and I only got +6 ELO both matches it was sad.

Then came my third match where my team had a rage quitter at 2 mins into the game. and our TF was 0 10 0 by the 20 min mark. I then prompted for a surrender and with 3 yeses and one no the game ended. I was 3 3 2 at end game. all three of my deaths happened in our base. It was past the point of any hope of a come back.

Any guesses to what my reward was? ... that's right -12 ELO. So I need 3 wins for every loss it looks like. At the rate I'm going its not going to happen sure I have 20+ wins over losses but I'm still stuck at 1290 ELO and dropping.

The majority of my losses are like this. Granted there are a FEW losses where the other team was just better, but really when I can still solo 2 people even after there fed somethings wrong.

Druiddroid

04-26-2011

You get 1/2 ELO when losses are being forgiven (aka loss = 0 ELO change).

This happens when the servers are ****ing up games or something (which happened today).