Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

The Do's and Dont's: Mordekaiser

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AFKray

03-03-2010

Hi there, Kush here. This post is going to be dedicated to our friendly metallic friend, Mordekaiser. Personally my favorite champion of them all, he offers a different dynamic and an overall "I'm gonna pound these insects" feel. I have played a very many number of games and have frankly won a significant amount. That being said this list isn't exhaustive, but rather a work in progress. Anyway I tend to see a lot of Morde's out there try to either A) make a new build which just leaves him lacking (which this post is NOT about) or B) use a build that DOES work, but still fails. Now when I say fail I mean it in the most lightheartedly way possible. So from my observations I bring here today a list of what I call, the Mordekaiser Do's and Don'ts:

Don'ts:

- Don't think you are a full-fledged DPS. You are hybrid. You thrive on outlasting your opponents and then turning the tides. You are not there to WTFPWN face people in one shot. I know his weapon and looks come straight outta WoW, but you are not a Death Knight pre-nerfs.

- Don't cast your ultimate on a 100% HP champion. Seriously the uses of this ultimate, while the Leech is good for living, is so much better used to turn a fight into a +2 gain in one kill.

- Don't cast all your abilities at once. Now, I know spamming is fun but your shield has so much more value if you space out your skills a little bit. One good Siphon on a creep wave while engaging, will max you. Get to know how much you will gain from your intended Siphon. Then, when they burst down your shield, get your mace to go off to fill it up for the next attack. Staying in sync with your opponents attacks is critical. This opens up amazing opportunities for baiting.

Do's:

- Put Creeping Death on you before you enter brush. Make this a habit. More often than not, you will be stunned by anyone lying in a bush. Having this on prior will keep your shield powered even during a stun, allowing you to save your Clense.

- # of Target's Hit is better. A lot of times I see Morde's who go in for the harassment early on with Siphon. This is fine. However, they tend to only focus on the champions in exclusion to minions. You see the greater harassment is not damage itself, but rather the fact that you DON'T take damage. Imagine if you will that you had an ability that stole the enemy's main harassment tool's cost that you could cast every 6 seconds. Would you not use that as your main tool for harassment? Afterall, what much of a threat is a Ryze/Zilean with 0 mana? Intimidation people, he looks it so why not just play the part? That in mind, if you can get both minions AND champions then by all means go for it!

- USE THE GHOST!!!!!!#%@#!^!^!: I do not know how many times I see a Morde cast an ultimate on one of two fleeing Champions only to kill one and have the other, a mere one shot from death, happily walk past his newly-made Ghost friend who is returning to his/her hapless master. Seriously, the ghost's attacks power your shield. If you get an enemy with high AD he is filling almost 1/4 of your shield every attack. This is amazing for tower diving as well as just lasting as two enemy's beat you on. Don't just click and forget, keep updating who your minion attacks. Switching targets is fantastic and if you get a Frozen Mallet OR have the Lizard buff, the ghost will apply each according effect onto any enemy it hits. So, have a Frozen Mallet and just enslaved a Tristana? Now you have the opportunity to have essentially a mobile long-ranged slowing minion who, more likely than not, will have a really hard hitting attack. Why not use it?

- Mace is better on multiple targets. Using your Mace of Spades on a group of minions and THEN pursuing the enemy is often better than keeping it charged and chasing. Your Siphon is what you will finish an enemy off with 80% of the time. Getting that full shield to be able to take a tower hit in order to get in range for that fatal Siphon is a lot better than looking all cool and electrified and dying to a tower. As said before, more targets = better.

- Get Ignite. If you AREN'T getting it, I would seriously consider re-evaluating your perspective of Mordekaiser.

- Pay attention to the Loading screen! Take note of people who have Clense. If they do, toss Ignite on them, wait for the Clense THEN ult them. There is nothing worse than blowing a quick Clense/Ignite on the narrowly escaping enemy only to see him remove it in a little show of lights.

This is it for now, but I will be updating this more as I get feedback and come up with other things to add.

Mindler

Recruiter

03-03-2010

Good write up, I've seen bad mord's and now i can link them this.

EasymodeX

03-03-2010

Ignite seems overrated. I've used it and it works, but I'm on the fence until I experiment more.

Joru

03-03-2010

This is all very good advice. The one thing I think I'd add is, "Don't think you are a full-fledged tank." It's true that no amount of DPS items is worth dying before you get your ghost out, but if you're sitting on straight HP/mitigation items in every slot and getting ignored by the enemy, you're not making very efficient use of your gold. Most of the guides recommend builds like that and it makes me sad. At least throw an Atma's in there or something.

KhaoticImp

03-03-2010

@OP: Whats your take on itemization? I like your list and I am now curious how you build Morde. Obviously its to counter the other team but is there some base line items that you always get? I love Frozen Mallet, but whats your opinion?

Konphujun

03-03-2010

Frozen Mallet, Rylai's Scepter, SotD if there's a Jax, Infinity Edge otherwise. The best boots for the enemy team composition, and Thornmail if you're feeling particularly froggy. This will usually cover all of your glaring weaknesses, so you can fill out the rest of your slots with whatever you like.

Khranz

03-04-2010

I've done well with builds based around Rylai's and Frozen Mallet, but I would never take both. People scoff at the 15% slow that applies on all of Morde's abilities (being AoE, or in CotG's case, simply for balance purposes), but they forget that 2 of the 4 apply PERSISTENT move speed debuffs. Creeping Death and CotG will slow for their entire durations. Cleanse can take out CotG, but if you're on someone's ass with Mov3 boots and Creeping Death up, they are NOT getting away (with exceptions of course, but there are for every situation).

In my very humble opinion, the importance of itemization for Morde basically lays out like this...

Most to Least
Rylai's or Frozen Mallet
Damage Reduction
CDR (40% CDR means almost 40% more damage output, since 80%+ of the damage you do every game is going to be from your abilities)
HP5/HP
Magic Penetration (all of his abilities do magic damage, this makes them do more)
Attack Damage (can boost Q significantly)
Ability Power (boosts Pet quite well, but AP scaling for everything else is pretty bad)

Skyllus

03-04-2010

Nice post Don't really have anything to add. Some of these AP Mordekaiser builds I am seeing are godawful and make me want to cry.

Maybe include a link to the Leaguecraft page for Mordekaiser so people can get some decent guides.

KhaoticImp

03-04-2010

BUMP, I love FoN as a first big purchase. I usually pick up a regrowth pendent either way and if there is a ryze/viegar/annie on the other team I build it into a FoN, otherwise a warmogs, then I rush a mallet, I tried the rylais but found it very lack luster, ill try it a few more times but overall I like the mallet better.
Still curious how AFKush builds him though.

Yoni

03-04-2010

Nice tips, I hate those ******ed AP Mordes I see ><.

I like going middle with morde, going for warmogs and suitable boots then going for phage->mallet and phantomdancers, usually by this phase its 15 mins from gamestart and their last tower is assaulted, in good starts its even down.

Maxing Mace and then the Cone for hero smashing, ignoring the shield untill I got nothing else to take, whenever I have ignite up I go for a herokill, usually cone->mace->hit->ignite->ulti means kill and a new lovely turret smushing pet.

And Ignite is not overrated at all, I tend to go Ignite and Ghost for the obvious reasons.

Just ignore heroes and go for minion kills and turrets, I usually get 2-3 times more minion kills then every other hero in the game which means easy headsmashing and pushing.

I know prioritizing cone over mace would get more minions killed at the early phases but it's important to be able to smack down a hero asap if he gets the jump on you.

Usually by the time I have phage I'm strong enough to handle 2 heroes of the enemy team which usually tries to gank me to stop the pushing madness.

I still haven't lost a game doing this method :P